Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to bring back the death penalty

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Anyone who thinks we should reintroduce the death penalty might want to suggest an alternative to our membership of the EU and the Council of Europe, both of which limit the right to impose the penalty (Council of Europe limits it to times of war or national emergency, the EU will accept a moritorium as condition of entry)

As for capital punishment as a deterrent? The murder rate in non-death penalty US states is 46% less than in death penalty states.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

At the risk of going a little off-topic, I live in the Great State of California.

Well for the whole of the US, black persons make up 57% of people who have been executed, while they only make up about 12% of the general population and 45% of the prison population.

Interestingly they make up only 42% of death row inmates, which indicates that white people are more likely to get off death row.

Also white people make up 79% of the victims in death penalty cases, while only making up about 50% of murder victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I stand corrected on the population figure according to the CIA estimate for July 2006 the figure was 1,313,973,713. Maybe some of them have only one leg and that's throwing the estimate out :D . net Migration is 0.039 %. That means 512,445 leave China each year. If they all come here we're bunched.

Presumably if there is an oppressive regime most of them are living under it. Whether the would all come to Ireland is another question. I was just saying we couldn't take them all if the did come. Our open door immigrant policy would allow that to happen.

BTW I never said hang the guy anywhere. I have even gone as far as reporting this thread because I don't think the guy is getting a fair crack of the whip. IMHO this case is now a Garda matter and should be sub judice. Who are we to judge anyone based on second hand information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Gurgle wrote:
    Count the heads, not the feet.
    Theres just over 1,000,000,000 of them.
    Why would you suggest taking them all?

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ch.html

Population:
    1,313,973,713 (July 2006 est.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

bk wrote:
    Well for the whole of the US, black persons make up 57% of people who have been executed, while they only make up about 12% of the general population and 45% of the prison population.

Interestingly they make up only 42% of death row inmates, which indicates that white people are more likely to get off death row.
    or, if you are black, you are more 4 times more likely to murder someone than if you are white.

the figures you have prove only one thing, statistics can prove anything.

and no, I do not advocate bringing back the death penalty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement