Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New here, couple of Q's

Options
  • 08-12-2006 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Hi, first post on the site. I've been shooting before, both hunting with my Dad and throught the FCA. I've been shooting at a range in the states as well, so I've had a bit of experience. I've got a couple of general questions.

I've recently begun hunting with some friends of mine. They are all members of the Local gun club. When going hunting is it legal for me to use my Dads shotgun, with his permission, without him being present? I don't want to have any hassel or break the law when driving to where we would be shooting for instance. I am joining the local gun club over christmas, I'm presently away at college so havent been able to join any weekend I've been home. So if I join will I be able to use the shotgun legally without it being in my name? I can, if I want, change the license to my name but if I can use the gun legally I'll leave it in my dads name.

Also, I only recently became aware that handguns have been made legal in Ireland. Target shooting would be something I would like to pursue in the future, could someone give me some links to clubs and websites to look up prices etc. This would be for future reference, I would'nt have the money to spend nearly a grand on a handgun in the next year or two.

anyway, thanks for reading hopefully someone can answer my questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

When going hunting is it legal for me to use my Dads shotgun, with his permission, without him being present?
    In general, no. If you two were both in the same target shooting club and the gun was on their authorisation, then yes. And there are one or two other such specific exemptions, but for what you describe, no.
    I can, if I want, change the license to my name but if I can use the gun legally I'll leave it in my dads name.
    Or you could get a second licence for the shotgun in your name. A firearm can have several licences for several people without it affecting who owns it.
    ould someone give me some links to clubs and websites to look up prices etc. This would be for future reference, I would'nt have the money to spend nearly a grand on a handgun in the next year or two.
    What kind of handgun? A top-of-the-line ISSF centrefire pistol will cost a tad more than an air pistol, even though you get the same fundamentals with both; and the range of prices can go from about €250 for a proper ISSF air pistol that will last you for years and go from plinking right through to international competition; through to well into astronomical funny money for ISSF smallbore and fullbore pistols and custom IPSC jobs and that kind of thing.
    There are also some air pistols that cost far less than €250 and which you could get a start with (things like the Daisy 747 for example), though if you got serious, you'd want to trade up later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Sparks wrote:
    Or you could get a second licence for the shotgun in your name. A firearm can have several licences for several people without it affecting who owns it.

I was not aware of this. I assume getting the liciense would be the same as getting a single liciense for a weapon? ie being a member of a gun club etc? I think this would be the best option as it would allow me and my Dad to share the shotgun. Its a Kestral sids by side BTW.

As for the handgun question, I would be referring to guns such as a H+k or a smith and wesson revolver. I have shot these and quite enjoyed it, I was wondering if it is possible to purchase one of these in Ireland for target shooting. I'm probably talking about what you called big-bore pistols. Are there clubs in the Cork area for this?

astraboy wrote:
    I was not aware of this. I assume getting the liciense would be the same as getting a single liciense for a weapon?
    No, because we don't licence the shooter in Ireland as we would for driving or flying or whatever, we licence the gun (and for the shooter only). So if two people use one firearm, they each have to have a licence for that firearm, except in certain cases.
    As for the handgun question, I would be referring to guns such as a H+k or a smith and wesson revolver. I have shot these and quite enjoyed it, I was wondering if it is possible to purchase one of these in Ireland for target shooting.
    Yes, but the others here know more about the fullbore pistols than I would, so maybe they'd answer?
    I'm probably talking about what you called big-bore pistols. Are there clubs in the Cork area for this?
    Fermoy and Mallow I think. Again, we've a poster or two from Cork, maybe they can help?

Sparks wrote:
    No, because we don't licence the shooter in Ireland as we would for driving or flying or whatever, we licence the gun (and for the shooter only). So if two people use one firearm, they each have to have a licence for that firearm, except in certain cases.

Ok, so would I have to apply for a licience in the regular manner, with the serial no. for the gun, club membership etc? So it would be as if I was applying for a licence for a new gun, the fact it is already licenced has no effect?

That's exactly how you'd apply astra, but since the gun's already licenced to your father, it'll probably be a much easier process.

• Advertisement

Excellent, I'll look into it when I go home for christmas. Unfortunately the local Garda stations opening hours are fairly irregular. Hopefully I'll get to do some hunting with my old man over the new year till I get the liciense. How long does it usually take, or does it differ area to area?

It can differ from area to area astra, but usually a couple of weeks.

Advertisement