Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows won't start

• 08-12-2006 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭

hey
    My friend's laptop has stopped working. When it tries to load windows an error comes up saying that "/windows/system32/confing/system" is missing.
    I've tried using Ubuntu Live to replace the file, but I dont think Ubuntu has any display drivers for the graphics card because the screen is completely blank.
    Does anybody have any suggestions?

If worst comes to worst, im gonna backup all the files on an external HD using ubuntu and try formatting, but I really dont want to do this.
    BTW, he doesnt have a windows disc.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pretty sure you are going to need the Windows XP disc to use the Recovery console. Link here. Not sure if you can do anything without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Can I use my own cd to repair the installation or does it have to be his one? He has a cd key but no cd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it will probably have to be the same version of windows xp, ie. if he has xp pro you'll need an xp pro disc, the same for if he has home.

Advertisement