Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email - need to change provider

Options
  • 08-12-2006 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I have a 2Mb broadband connection and find the upload speed quite slow. I'm using an Esat email address and have been told this may be the problem. It takes over two minutes to send a 2MB email - is this a reasonable speed?

I also get lots of spam and need to chabge my email address to a less obvious one. I've heard that Gmail is better for upload speed but apparently you have to be invited to join. Is there any way of joining without an invite?

Finally, can anyone give me any tips os how to formulate an emial address to avoid spam?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What program do you use for your emails? I can send you an invite for gmail if you want, send me a PM.

Google has stated that the invitation system is intended to reduce the amount of abuse, as spammers are unable to make a large number of accounts, something which they can do with other services like Hotmail or Yahoo! Mail, whose registration is completely open - Wikipedia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Send me a pm with your email address and i'll send you an invite

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yorky wrote:
    I have a 2Mb broadband connection and find the upload speed quite slow. I'm using an Esat email address and have been told this may be the problem. It takes over two minutes to send a 2MB email - is this a reasonable speed?

I also get lots of spam and need to chabge my email address to a less obvious one. I've heard that Gmail is better for upload speed but apparently you have to be invited to join. Is there any way of joining without an invite?

Finally, can anyone give me any tips os how to formulate an emial address to avoid spam?
    By all means get a GMail address, they are most useful, but

a) Your broadband connection is 2Mbit down, and 128-256kbit up. When sending emails you are essentially doing so at just better than ISDN speeds. You may not notice any change at all.

b) try using an eircom mailserver (your Outgoing or SMTP server in Outlook) like mail2.eircom.net to send a 2MB test mail to yourself and see if there is a speed difference.

If there is, then yes, the problem is likely the IOL mailserver. If not, it's just that you're expecting too much of your broadband connection :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

Yorky wrote:

I use a mail program that is completely free of spam because I look at all mail on the server before downloading it. This is probably not unique and some people may find it a burden to look at mail on the server instead of clicking on a 'mail' button, but I am totally free of spam. ! I don't think I am allowed to say "who" on here so I will glady tell all in a PM.

Come on surveys, unless it's something other than mail2web.com or your providers' webmail interface, you're not keeping any big secrets ;)

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote:
    Come on surveys, unless it's something other than mail2web.com or your providers' webmail interface, you're not keeping any big secrets ;)

Sure I agree, but I really did think Boards don't allow it. ?
    It is www.pocomail.com
    I have used it for years and having used 'every' other mail program that exists,
    I think its far the best.
    Good luck.

Well if anyone points the finger you can direct them to me, I have no idea why they would though.

I do get this when I visit the page though:
    [php]DB function failed with error number 1016
    Can't open file: 'mos_session.MYD'. (errno: 145) SQL=SELECT session_id FROM mos_session WHERE session_id=MD5('4eee1ffd6400e062df43f5083b20d7ea')
    SQL =

SELECT session_id FROM mos_session WHERE session_id=MD5('4eee1ffd6400e062df43f5083b20d7ea')[/php]

not terribly promising :/

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

or you can do what i do and have your own mail server which accurately tags about 95% of spam mails with [SPAM] in the subject and either have it deleted on the server, or leave your mail client filter emails for that tag and move into a 'spam' folder. Also, Imap systems works nicer when dealing with such things since you dont need to download all the messages to see what is there

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

you could also try mailwasher to check your emails before downloading in whatever mail client you use.

the free version allows for checking of one email account and you can also bounce the spam.
    if you want to get the pro version you can also set up spam reporting with Spamcop.

the only problem with this is if you get a lot of spam it will generate a confirmation mail from spamcop for each mail you report :(

CuLT wrote:
    Well if anyone points the finger you can direct them to me, I have no idea why they would though.

I do get this when I visit the page though:
    [php]DB function failed with error number 1016
    Can't open file: 'mos_session.MYD'. (errno: 145) SQL=SELECT session_id FROM mos_session WHERE session_id=MD5('4eee1ffd6400e062df43f5083b20d7ea')
    SQL =

SELECT session_id FROM mos_session WHERE session_id=MD5('4eee1ffd6400e062df43f5083b20d7ea')[/php]

not terribly promising :/

Heck. sorry about that. ! I must have been using it for about 10 years
    since its very first version and have never seen that happen. !
    Amazing how you recommend it here on Boards and then the site has crashed. !!:mad:
    Oh well, one of those days. I will blame it on BT. !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I use @eircom.net, @iol.ie, gmail and hotmail. I do not notice any difference between the speeds at which e-mails(with attachments) are sent between eircom and iol(BT). The outgoing server for both eircom and iol is the same mail1.eircom.net. as I have eircom bb. I would also endorse Gmail. I have been using this since its inception and have found it to be well run but not totally adverse to spam. Indeed in my experience none of them are but you can do a lot to keep it to the minimal. I use Nortons Antispam which after a while of using it does a good job. For the first month or so you have to tell it what e-mails are spam and it learns and creates rules based on this. It now totally works for those stocks and shares spam e-mails, lotto winner spam and the online pharmacy spammers which make up the bulk of the spam I recieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Can Gmail be configured for Outlook Express?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yorky wrote:

Yes it can. CHeck out the help section in Gmail to configure it for POP access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yorky wrote:

Yep, you need to enable POP mail in your Gmail settings under the Forwarding and Pop tab and then setup a new mail account in Outlook. Servers are below for gmail.

Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.gmail.com
    Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com

Advertisement