Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up in smoke? a booze cruise

Options
  • 08-12-2006 8:14pm

Years ago we had booze cruises over to Wales and France. And now with cigarettes in Riga being around e11, would it not start making sense to go over to buy a decent quantity? Like 2000?
    10 cartons over there = e110
    Ryanair flight = e200

total cost= e310

Over here:
    10 cartons = e705

Is it madness to think this?

your thoughts please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Looking at those figures, sure you'd be mad not to.
    Personally I think we should all get together and overthrow the government, but sure we already treid that and just ended up with a worse shower of pricks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think it's an economically sound idea! You get a nice short break, see another country and get a supply of cigarettes to last you a long time.

What's the legal limit on bringing back cigarettes, though?

Depends on if you travel to outside of the EU afaicr.

Seems to be 800 cigarettes or 1 kilo of tobacco when travelling within the EU. More than that, and you have to prove that they're for personal use. How would you do that, I wonder?

I'd bring a colour chart and hold it up to my teeth. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Definitely a good idea and the thing about proving they are for personal consumption shouldn't be a problem - all you have to say is you have family members that smoke too.

Faith wrote:
    Seems to be 800 cigarettes or 1 kilo of tobacco when travelling within the EU. More than that, and you have to prove that they're for personal use. How would you do that, I wonder?

Well, I was thinking about that. What if (now bear with me) I opened up every pack and took one out? Sounds stupid, but I wouldn't be able to sell them on, would I?

Then you'd have 100 cigarettes floating around at the bottom of your bag. Unless you smoked them all over the weekend.

That's probably a feasible idea, but then you're banking on them actually checking your bags, which they mightn't do. Awful waste of time if they dont'!

Over here, they went through a phase of selling packs of 16. Apparently, they'd worked out that that's how many an average smoker smokes a day. I think they get rid of them though.

Advertisement