Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Word of Warning, -On reflection REMOVED -!!

Options
  • 08-12-2006 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

On reflection REMOVED

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm sorry but these people deserve to be caught. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thats good that they are there.they will catch drunk/drugged drivers. it might even saves someone's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Cr8or wrote:
    for no reason
    ?? Eh, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Stopping people coming out a pub.... i wounder why.... checking for bald tyres ?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

jhegarty wrote:
    Stopping people coming out a pub.... i wounder why.... checking for bald tyres ?

Eh, maybe tax ;)

Good on them I say, if only they had the resources to park outside more pubs, then watch the deaths on the roads plummet !!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cr8or wrote:
    Just a word of warning, there is an unmarked car pulling people over for no reason when leaving the a pub.

I never drink and drive, I had just parked there while getting smokes. However, they decided to pull me over anyway.

Be Warned!
    I was tempted to delete this thread but upon reflection I think the members of the motors forum are entitled to see what some of the numpties on boards are like.
    People die because selfish pricks believe that it is fine to down a few jars and sit behind the wheel. Why would you want to protect them? Why?
    I wonder could this be Jim McDaid or Michael Fitzgerald?

As for having "no reason", didn't you hear the news? They don't need one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

I agree with the drunk driver part!! I Just dont like the idea of being pulled because I left the car park of a pub that I wasnt even in!

Also the warning was more to along the lines of dont do it than dont get cought! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cr8or wrote:
    I agree with the drunk driver part!! I Just dont like the idea of being pulled because I left the car park of a pub that I wasnt even in!

But you said you were getting smokes, so garda sees you coming out of pub and getting into car and stops you...

Sorry i cant see the problem.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

OP - you done nothing wrong so what's the problem? You were just getting smokes and the Gardaí were just doing their job.

Ok agreed maybe I over-reacted they where just doing thier job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

crosstownk wrote:
    OP - you done nothing wrong so what's the problem? You were just getting smokes and the Gardaí were just doing their job.

From my reading of it, he's not complaining that they're doing their job, more warning people that the level of random testing means that you can get pulled over anywhere at any time, and to be sure not to risk it. I presume it was this evening it happened, and his post was @8:20pm which is pretty early for drink driving tests. Mind you its a friday evening about 3 weeks before christmas, so its probably crazy with company christmas partys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cr8or wrote:
    I left the car park of a pub that I wasnt even in!
    Aha! You left the carpark of a pub that you were not in? Sounds very dodgy to me. I think you should have accompanied them to the station and helped them with their enquiries. :D

Stky10 wrote:
    his post was @8:20pm which is pretty early for drink driving tests.
    All the regular drink drivers are going home earlier.

Aha! You left the carpark of a pub that you were not in? Sounds very dodgy to me. I think you should have accompanied them to the station and helped them with their enquiries. :D

It’s the only place to stop for safe parking, as it’s on a busy road! I would have gladly taken any test, as I never drink and drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

All the regular drink drivers are going home earlier.

Suppose... I forgot about the 2-3 pints after work on a friday brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Stky10 wrote:
    From my reading of it, he's not complaining that they're doing their job, more warning people that the level of random testing means that you can get pulled over anywhere at any time, and to be sure not to risk it. I presume it was this evening it happened, and his post was @8:20pm which is pretty early for drink driving tests. Mind you its a friday evening about 3 weeks before christmas, so its probably crazy with company christmas partys.

I do see your point. But I got the impression that the OP thought that he shouldn't have been approached by the Gardaí as he was not in the pub.

8.20pm is kinda early, but I've seen them outside my house with a big checkpoint at 7pm on a Sunday in October. So it appears that it is truly random. So the OP is right when he says 'be warned'. If anyone is stupid enough th drink drive then chances are higher than ever that they will be caught.

Cr8or wrote:
    It’s the only place to stop for safe parking, as it’s on a busy road! I would have gladly taken any test, as I never drink and drive!
    I know Cr8or, I'm only having a laugh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

yeah it is very early to be stopping but they are just trying to get the message out.

E@gle. wrote:
    yeah it is very early to be stopping but they are just trying to get the message out.
    I frequently have my lunch (not a liquid one!) in a pub in Stillorgan. Every day, the various barflys are downing a few bevvies. This happens all across the country. Surely some of them get into a car afterwards?
    As far as RBT goes, anytime is a good time if it means that Im less likely to die on the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

kbannon wrote:
    As far as RBT goes, anytime is a good time if it means that Im less likely to die on the roads!

i agree

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

friend of mine was caught by an unmarked car in donaghmede yesterday , unmarked car watched him go in , then come out 2 pints later , stopped him down the road , breath tested , arrested , brought to station another breath test , given a court summons for the 19th all in the space of 2 hours , now thats service :)

as good a friend as he is i've no sympathy for him though

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Went into offie. Got cans. Went home. Along the way, a Garda checkpoint. All cars in front got stopped and breathalised. My mate got waved through. Van after us got stopped. Go figure. Mates about 24, btw. As my mate said "t'was lucky I passed on that free can of Bud in the missus's gaff".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I was stopped at a check-point in tullamore a few weeks back - the gardai had breathylisers (unsure of spelling!) and without reason tested everyone going in and out of town on that road. I don't drink, so I don't have anything to worry about over the coming weeks:D This type of thing is non-existant in mayo - in the last 2 years, I've been stopped maybe 2 or 3 times but only to check if I have tax, insurance and nct - mayo gardai could learn a few things from the offaly gardai! If they do set up a check-point, you can return in half an hour and they will be gone.

A co-worker of mine (in his 40's) is giving out about how unsafe it is now to go out, have a few pints and drive home without fear of being stopped:eek: He's a sound fella but we've had heated conversations about this in the past! My former boss was also fond of having a jar or 2 and driving 30 or 40 miles home - what the f**k is wrong with these people?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

what was the original post here, a video or story or what?

quarryman wrote:
    what was the original post here, a video or story or what?
    You can find it quoted in post #7 (kbannon). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

land9 wrote:
    He's a sound fella but we've had heated conversations about this in the past! My former boss was also fond of having a jar or 2 and driving 30 or 40 miles home - what the f**k is wrong with these people?!
    Proberly grew up in the country. Even now, due to the random breath tests, the pubs want compo for lack of customers. It almost sounds like they think that the customers down the country should be allowed to drink and drive. But thats another story.

Also, 2 jars insn't seen as "much", whereas 8 would be. Different age, different attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

How could you tell he is from the country?!:D

land9 wrote:
    A co-worker of mine (in his 40's) is giving out about how unsafe it is now to go out, have a few pints and drive home without fear of being stopped:eek:
    The irony of it. Surely it is safer for people to go out on the roads now! Tell your friend he's an idiot if this is his attitude.

Advertisement