Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefly MMO

• 08-12-2006 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

I hate MMOs and reckon this will suck but if you buy the licence you get Whedons input seemingly he doesnt like his name attached to crap (the Buffy game was actually v good on xbox)

Just when you thought no power in the 'verse could bring it back, a company called, er, Multiverse is set to take charge of a massively multiplayer game based on Joss Whedon's Firefly.
    Advertisement

The TV series, which ended after one season and concluded with the film Serenity, saw Malcolm Reynolds and his rag-tag band of pilot, soldier, mercenary, mechanic, priest, doctor, loony and, well, whore, flirting with trouble as they tried to make their way in a galaxy full of diverse colonies and Western motifs and hidden compartments.

Multiverse co-founder and executive producer Corey Bridges reckons the game will be in a playable state by 2008, although he still has to hire a team to make it - as Multiverse is a platform creator rather than a developer.

Fortunately his plans are faithful to the core values of the show, without trying to make stories out of the original characters. "If you're doing science fiction, you have to really think it out and create an incredibly rich environment that is compelling in its own right, and worth exploring and going back to week after week. That's what Joss Whedon did with Firefly," Bridges told Wired.

"We want to find someone who wants to do something unique and fun and interesting, not just a re-skin of World of Warcraft or Star Wars Galaxies," he added. He is however wearing full body armour - he's not a moronl.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=70801

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

That could really be interesting. It would offer a different kind of social playing, to the other games of it's kind.
    There's not really enough story to equal star wars though. There are so few characters, that the game could get congested with everyone on the same few quests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Id be well up for this game sounds like great fun because it was a great show is has a massive fan base who are all hungry for more. There will be allot of people playing this and ill be one of them then ill have to decide which is better this MMO or The Stargate or Star trek MMO cant wait for them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Wow , it seems to be a trend now for sci fi shows to be turned into MMO's.

There will be a BSG one next lol.

I am really looking forward to the startrek one, I'm not too sure about the stargate one.
    I can kinda see it as being unbalanced, not many are gonna wanna be the go'auld (if thats how u spell it )

I'll deffo give this Firefly one a look but jaysus I wish they would just make another series ffs

I would play as gou`auld

Gou'auld would be fun.
    So would Tolann.

• Advertisement

If you can pick your alligence i would go for Apophis or maybe anbuis or ra but apophis first
    anyway onto firefly, i wonder can you support the alliance? and fight against other players who want to band together to brig down the alliance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'd be kind of tmepted to play the alliance, tbh. Better resources, and you don't have to constantly watch your ass. The real question is, would they make reavers playable. Because that would be gorram scary.

Raphael wrote:
    The real question is, would they make reavers playable. Because that would be gorram scary.
    18+ rating ftw. I really doubt that they could show the raping, eating and torturing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I hate MMOs.

I love Firefly...

:(

Firefly IS a adult show as far as im concerned i don't talk to many kids or people in there early teens but as from what i know of people that age are they not more into explosions and effects? (the majority of them anyway)

So a firefly MMO would appear to fans of the show and would have revers and probably the full gore as well, i would not want them playable tho it would add more to if they where random event

• Advertisement
Advertisement