Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone done these subjects?

Options
  • 08-12-2006 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of taking one of these 2 as an elective for commerce 3rd year semseter 2. Has anyone done these and what do they think of workload and also continous assesment.

Marketing communications- course outline indicates it to be hard
    business ethics

any information will be helpful

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Darkbloom

I've done marketing comms. It is difficult but quite interesting. I got a first in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Darkbloom wrote:
    I've done marketing comms. It is difficult but quite interesting. I got a first in it.

what do you mean by difficult. i have heard the continous assesment is hard.i read the course outline and it seems you have to do work for each class. i think i might leave it and pick business ethics

...why are you in higher education again?

Darkbloom wrote:
    ...why are you in higher education again?
    what do you mean?, im in 3rd year commerce:cool:

No, I'm implying you're a waster.

• Advertisement

Darkbloom wrote:
    No, I'm implying you're a waster.
    No im not a waster i just have extra subjects to do next semester because i deferred, so i just need to pick a simple enough course to make sure i do well in all of the subjects because its final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I chose services marketing and reinsurance. What mode are you in? If you did either finance modules in insurance reinsurance is supposed to overlap quite a bit.

Best of luck in the exams, dont let it all get on top of you. At the end of the day, it doesnt really matter.

Im not a waster, I deffered my exam :confused:

yes because i had personal reasons, i know many people who have deffered and these people usually get A's. people take advantage of this option in ucd.

drdre wrote:
    No im not a waster i just have extra subjects to do next semester because i deferred, so i just need to pick a simple enough course to make sure i do well in all of the subjects because its final year.
    Depending on why you defered you may not have offered a good counter arguement. My sympathies if there has been a major disruption in your life.

drdre wrote:
    yes because i had personal reasons, i know many people who have deffered and these people usually get A's. people take advantage of this option in ucd.

I realised that possibility and edited my post immediately, but my wireless connection at the moment is slow.

• Advertisement

Depending on why you defered you may not have offered a good counter arguement. My sympathies if there has been a major disruption in your life.

No theres nothing major, i just had an operation on my eye last semester. Theres nothing really wrong with deffering.

Well in some people opinion, unless theres been a disruption in your life and you lost study time or have some other valid excuse defering is the same as failing.

I personally see it as a question on time management and scheduling, prioritising and all the other stuff that we did in logisitics ;) but was just making a half hearted tongue in cheek remark that I thought better of since it might have been offensive depending on why someone deferred.

Well in some people opinion, unless theres been a disruption in your life and you lost study time or have some other valid excuse defering is the same as failing.

I personally see it as a question on time management and scheduling, prioritising and all the other stuff that we did in logisitics ;) but was just making a half hearted tongue in cheek remark that I thought better of since it might have been offensive depending on why someone deferred.

You are right,its all about time management and priortising.what course are you doing.

drdre wrote:

No they don't. Continuous assessment isn't counted.

Darkbloom wrote:
    No they don't. Continuous assessment isn't counted.
    yes people defer because of the assesment not being counted.but if you know you cant do well in a subject for a reason then defer it and sit the exam out of 100% next time around.

drdre wrote:
    You are right,its all about time management and priortising.what course are you doing.
    3rd commerce, banking and finance mode

drdre wrote:
    yes people defer because of the assesment not being counted.but if you know you cant do well in a subject for a reason then defer it and sit the exam out of 100% next time around.
    Thats a loophole which they're closing.

Its really only fair, if you fail and need to repeat then your CA should be scrapped, if you defer it should count. The current system of commerce deferals (which we will be the last year to have) benefits those who just happen to have €200 to spare and can afford to buy their way out of the CA they dossed around for. Not very fair.

The way I imagine it should be is if you have a genuine reason to defer, ie a serious disruption to your life like a relatives death or an eye operation, only then should you be allowed defer.
    Depending on when the disruption occured you should either keep or lose your CA, but definitely not be capped at a pass.
    If not you should be treated as a fail, capped at a pass and your CA not be counted towards the repeat.

Its not really fair that those with more spare dosh can choose whether or not to do continuous assesment or not

Its really only fair, if you fail and need to repeat then your CA should be scrapped, if you defer it should count. The current system of commerce deferals (which we will be the last year to have) benefits those who just happen to have €200 to spare and can afford to buy their way out of the CA they dossed around for. Not very fair.

The way I imagine it should be is if you have a genuine reason to defer, ie a serious disruption to your life like a relatives death or an eye operation, only then should you be allowed defer.
    Depending on when the disruption occured you should either keep or lose your CA, but definitely not be capped at a pass.
    If not you should be treated as a fail, capped at a pass and your CA not be counted towards the repeat.

Its not really fair that those with more spare dosh can choose whether or not to do continuous assesment or not
    yes you are right there is a flaw in the system. i have heard its going to be closed next year. It should have closed a long time ago.

It was closed last year with the introduction of horizons. Current 2nd and 1st years cant defer the same way we can

I deferred logistics and I certainly didn't get marked out of 100%. Anyone want to cite an actual example of this happening?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

That isn't strictly true. I have to defer aspects of financial theory because I failed the mid-semester exam worth 30%. The test was really unfair and loads of people failed it so if you want to do well, you have to defer it. I didn't want to defer but now I have no choice. Almost everyone I know doing this subject is deferring it for that reason. And believe me, I definitely don't have €200 to spare.

Darkbloom wrote:
    I deferred logistics and I certainly didn't get marked out of 100%. Anyone want to cite an actual example of this happening?!
    Are you saying your cont. assessment still counted even though you deferred? Have never heard of that. I deferred finance last year and my continuous assessment was scrapped.

JustCoz wrote:
    Are you saying your cont. assessment still counted even though you deferred? Have never heard of that. I deferred finance last year and my continuous assessment was scrapped.

I'm saying my CA wasn't counted. The opposite to what is being said above. I want to hear some actual examples of CA being counted in deferrals.

No they aren't saying that. KR is saying he thinks your cont ass. should still be counted when you defer so that people don't just defer to scrap their rubbish continuous ass. The way it is now is that it is scrapped.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's counted if you defer properly, i.e. go to the programme office, tell them you're deferring and sign along the dotted line.

If you just defer, as in don't bother going to the exam, then CA doesn't count.

I've no idea if what I just said is true or not.

JustCoz wrote:
    That isn't strictly true. I have to defer aspects of financial theory because I failed the mid-semester exam worth 30%. The test was really unfair and loads of people failed it so if you want to do well, you have to defer it. I didn't want to defer but now I have no choice. Almost everyone I know doing this subject is deferring it for that reason. And believe me, I definitely don't have €200 to spare.
    Im not looking down on anyone, I got 35% in that test (20% of module gone already) but I dont think its perfectly equitable that those who can buy out of the C.A have the option.
    This is all tentativly balancing on the edge of grinds etc and what is the point of having money if its not to increase your standard of living. As it is the exam period I dont have the time to explore any of that in detail.

Now you say you dont have €200 to spare, then where is it comming from? Ive known people working part time to get through college (not for pocket money, to get through college) where €200 would require a loan from the credit union.

Yes I thought the exam was unfair, without negative marking Id have gotten 60% I lost nealy half my marks on negative marking, and I dont think an MCQ should count for so much of a module given that it makes workings useless.

What I exactly said on the matter to the Student Staff consultative forum:
    ""It is the opinion of this student, that the attitude of the lecturer
    is to punish ignorance more than reward knowledge. The policy of
    excessively punitive negative marking in the MCQ, attributing 30% of
    the final grade to an exam where workings are of no consequence, and
    the publishing of incomplete notes, need to be revisited.
    The current teaching and assessment practices run contrary to the
    culture of the Quinn school. The clear pluralist bias of the
    policies, one best way, Staff Vs students, is counter productive to
    the stated aims of the Quinn School to produce innovative, flexible
    students capable of critical thinking.""

It is my understanding that the continuous assesment for next years course is either going to include graded assignments and possible an MCQ without negative marking.

But that doesnt negate the point that defering is being used as a loophole to escape continuous assesment. There were people who got 100% in that exam and the average was 56%

It's counted if you defer properly, i.e. go to the programme office, tell them you're deferring and sign along the dotted line.

If you just defer, as in don't bother going to the exam, then CA doesn't count.

I've no idea if what I just said is true or not.
    I would imagine things would be the same for you as me, but I was told by the programme office that deffering for us was simply a matter of not showing up, there is nothing to sign. Though I know nothing of the new system other than being capped at a pass if you fail

Now you say you dont have €200 to spare, then where is it comming from?
    That's not really the point and it's none of your business tbh.
    It is my understanding that the continuous assesment for next years course is either going to include graded assignments and possible an MCQ without negative marking.
    Great for next years students but no good to me. I have an average to pull up and if I was to sit the exam i probably wouldn't even get a 2.1.

I like the fact that you can scrap your CA with a deferral. I can see your point that it's unfair on students who work really hard for their CA but if you have a good CA you're already at an advantage going into the exam so why do you care so much if other people get rid of theirs?

JustCoz wrote:
    That's not really the point and it's none of your business tbh.
    It was exactly the point I was making. Dont be so defensive, you used yourself as the example to challenge my observation.

"The current system of ..deferals..benefits those who ..can afford to buy their way out of the CA they dossed around for. Not very fair."

To which you replied
    "That isn't strictly true. I have to defer aspects of financial theory because I failed the mid-semester exam worth 30%... And believe me, I definitely don't have €200 to spare."

I said its not fair for ppl with spare dosh to buy an advantage exam wise. You say that its not only people who can afford it, you do it too. That makes no sense to me, if you do it I think that means by definition you can afford it.

So are you an example that disproves the observation or not?
    Great for next years students but no good to me. I have an average to pull up and if I was to sit the exam i probably wouldn't even get a 2.1.
    Thats not the reason why we have deferrals. There are very few people in university who talk about the possibility of not even getting a 2.1
    I like the fact that you can scrap your CA with a deferral.
    I know, thats what Im complaining about.
    I can see your point that it's unfair on students who work really hard for their CA
    Thats right, its unfair that some people are bound by CA and some people arent. Its unfair that there is two sets of rules, ones for those with money and one for everyone else.
    but if you have a good CA you're already at an advantage going into the exam so why do you care so much if other people get rid of theirs?

No man is an island.

The graduates of a class go looking for a job, the best companies take the best graduates from the class, if someone has an unfair advantage and gets a better result purely as a result of this unfair advantage, then they take someone elses job.

Basically its like any other piece of competition regulation.

• Advertisement

It was exactly the point I was making. Dont be so defensive, you used yourself as the example to challenge my observation.
    I was challenging your observation that deferral is how the dossers get out of counting CA. I studied for the aspects exam so that is what I was talking about.
    I said its not fair for ppl with spare dosh to buy an advantage exam wise. You say that its not only people who can afford it, you do it too. That makes no sense to me, if you do it I think that means by definition you can afford it.
    I think that the fee is ridiculous and it's extortionate but there are ways around paying it like getting a doctors note. And there's a difference between being able to afford something and managing to scrape the money from somewhere.
    Thats not the reason why we have deferrals. There are very few people in university who talk about the possibility of not even getting a 2.1
    Everyone sets there own standards, that's mine.
    The graduates of a class go looking for a job, the best companies take the best graduates from the class, if someone has an unfair advantage and gets a better result purely as a result of this unfair advantage, then they take someone elses job.

This is a bit far-fetched. When recruiting, companies take lots of things into account, not just your results.
    I'm assuming since you are advocating the inclusion of CA that yours is pretty good, in which case you will get good results anyway and won't have to worry about this.

Advertisement