Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for ironman

Options
  • 09-12-2006 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

Im looking into buying a bike to compete in an ironman coming up next year and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent enough bike in the eur 500-700 range for this..

I see cyclesuperstore have a triathlon starter kit http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=230&idproduct=9987 featuring the Lapierre 903 road bike - has anyone any experience with this bike or make?? (a quick search on google and I found it at a price way cheaper than cyclesuperstores - if I was to show them the site do u think they might match/reduce their price?)

Also in the future Im thinking about doing a very long road cycle and was wondering how such a road/triathlon bike would fare on it?

Thanks,
    Eoghan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

At your price range, I'd look at going second hand, though it's probably best to consult someone more experienced to check the bike out before buying. I don't know much about La Pierre, but just compare them to similar priced bikes, and maybe take a few for a test-ride.
    For longer rides, you'll want a more comfortable position on the bike, though this can be obtained by changing the stem length and seat-post angle.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I bought a LaPierre bike (a little higher up the range than the 903) in August 2005. I've done a bunch of duathlons and a few long cycles on it. Works well. I really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Absolutely nothing against LaPierre's but one observation.

You're talking about spending the same amount of money (roughly) on a bike as the entry fee for an offical IM event?

I'd argue that 500-700 is no where near enough to spend on a bike to do an IM on. Consider the amount of training that you will have to do. 10 hours or so a week on the bike? Do you really want to spend such an amount of time on a heavy heavy bike. Also - without wanting to start a debate on steep vs shallow bikes - you definitely need a tri specifc cock pit on the bike. A decent one of those is 200 at least.

In short I'd argue that there is no bike in the 500-700 bracket that would be suitable for training for and doing an IM on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

which ironman have you entered? On a flat course you'll be fine on a lower end bike but you might need to spend more on a hillier course. You can complete an ironman on a 500 quid bike I know several people who did so last year. Second hand may not be a good idea unless you're happy enough with more than basic maintenence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eazos1

Hi
    thanks for the replies.

Yeah I know that 600 yoyos isn't alot to spend on a bike for an event such as a ironman but when you add all the necessities required for a triathlon, its about all i have. Also the fact that the bike would be stolen pretty fast if it was used for commuting kinda makes me not want to spend too much money on it.

And having said that, I don't think they could have included more hills in the cycle part of the ironman if they wanted to - http://iron.ironmanuk.com/default.asp?PageID=3014 will be savage - maybe I should wait til i have access to more €€€

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Eazos1 wrote:
    Also the fact that the bike would be stolen pretty fast if it was used for commuting kinda makes me not want to spend too much money on it.
    Are you planning to use whatever bike you buy for commuting too?

What exercise/racing background are you coming from? An Ironman is quite an event. You could easily do loads of duathlons and triathlons in Ireland (max 40k cycles) on a lesser bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

sure they could (http://www.67cshdocs.com/images/IMLanzarote/BikeMap.jpg) ;) For anyone who hasn't seen this course, the descents are scary, very scary

Advertisement