Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK 'personalised' reg plates

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

:eek:

That's damn crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lots of rich people around in Britain that originated in Asian countries :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

wtf is singh?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

C_Breeze wrote:
    wtf is singh?
    Very common Indian name. (I think the current primeminister is a Singh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yes its a very popular indian name, theres loads of asians with money so they just spend it on stupid things like this.
    People make money from selling these type of plates. My cousin has 3 really popular number plates in uk BILALS (its his name and its on his bentley), Kismat (this means luck in urdu - pakistani language- i think this is on retention) and ANWAR (a popular name and its on the m5).they bought these many years ago and now they are worth thousands.

• Advertisement

Ok, I see.

People in america must be pissing themselves laughing at somebody paying that amount of money for a number+letter combination that resembles a name , when they can write whatever the hell they want on their reg plates for $500 dollars or something!

Anyway, that case of "51NGH" really is more money than sense but i suppose if your really want something and have the money, than why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

C_Breeze wrote:
    Ok, I see.

People in america must be pissing themselves laughing at somebody paying that amount of money for a number+letter combination that resembles a name , when they can write whatever the hell they want on their reg plates for $500 dollars or something!

Anyway, that case of "51NGH" really is more money than sense but i suppose if your really want something and have the money, than why not.
    yes thats mad money for just a number. they have more money than sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

The record price for '51 NGH' (aka 'SINGH') has since being beaten.....by a former Irish registration!!

'VIP 1' (Ex-Co Kilkenny registration) was sold in the UK to Roman Abramovich (oil billionaire and owner of Chelsea football club) for £285,000!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Silvera wrote:
    The record price for '51 NGH' (aka 'SINGH') has since being beaten.....by a former Irish registration!!

'VIP 1' (Ex-Co Kilkenny registration) was sold in the UK to Roman Abramovich (oil billionaire and owner of Chelsea football club) for £285,000!!! :D

and then beaten again!
    M1 - The World's Most Expensive Number Plate.

The Registration Number M1 fetched a new world record price of �331,500 when it was sold at Auction at the Goodwood Festival of Speed 2006. It was sold to an anonymous phone bidder, believed to be a Cheshire businessman purchasing the plate as a present for his six year old son!

M1 was first issued in Cheshire in 1903, and therefore it seems the registration will remain in the North West.

M1 was previously owned by the National Trust and the proceeds from the sale will be used to help maintain the Tatton Park estate in Cheshire, a National Trust owned estate.

Although M1 was expected to fetch between �80,000 to �120,000, the actual price of �331,500 eclipses the previous world record of �285,000 paid for any registration, that was the amount paid by the Russian billionaire owner of Chelsea Football Club, Roman Abramovich, for the registration VIP1.

http://www.nice-reg.co.uk/car-number-plates-and-cherished-registrations-1.html

There are other plates which would probably make much more if the were offered for sale. For example, the first UK reg A1 would probably make millions. I think it is owned by the Duke of Westminister(?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

They are stone mad paying that sort of money for a reg. There's a much simpler and cheaper way to do it: change your name by deed poll to match your reg.

Yours Faithfully,

98 KY 7832

Silvera wrote:
    'VIP 1' (Ex-Co Kilkenny registration) was sold in the UK to Roman Abramovich

How tacky can nouveau riche get? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How did a Kilkenny Reg become legally transferable in the UK though?

kbannon wrote:
    Pre 1987 Irish registrations can be used in the UK AFAIK but not vice versa.

kbannon wrote:

I guess the brits still think we're part of their empire ;)

For an expert answer, you might pm your co-mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

unkel wrote:
    I guess the brits still think we're part of their empire ;)
    I once saw a car with A1 MAN coming off the ferry. That might be cool in the UK, but in the country in Ireland people would just say "Here comes the AI (artificial insemination) man".
    Jim.

if you want to see what your name is worth do a search :

http://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/page/index-1.htm

...kept me amused for about 3 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Well it's all relative really.
    200k plus may seem ridiculous to most people here, but to a billionaire, it's only small fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

kbannon wrote:

VIP 1 was originally on a car owned by a Brewery salesman from Kilkenny. The car was later bought by a canny buyer from the UK in the 1970's/80's and the reg eventually 'leaked' onto the UK register (after several UK authorities/co. councils refused to register the car/number there)

It's true the Irish registrations could be transferred onto the UK register up until sometime in the 70's.

It's also the case that there are lots of veteran cars in Ireland - with UK registrations, which were/are now registered in Ireland. (It was allowed up to c.1930's/40's). Have a look at cars next time your at a veteran car rally - spot the UK plates with Irish tax and ins discs in the windscreen! .....i.e. they have been registered here, otherwise they could not get an Irish tax disc;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

So, theoretically, could VIP 1 be bought back by an Irish car owner and registered legally - since it was Irish to start with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

There are other plates which would probably make much more if the were offered for sale. For example, the first UK reg A1 would probably make millions. I think it is owned by the Duke of Westminister(?).

From www.personallyyours.co.uk

Historically car registrations have always increased in value; some examples are A1 and 1A. A 1 was originally issued back in 1903 to the late Earl Russell, he wanted this car registration so badly he camped outside the doors of the vehicle registration office all night, just to make sure the car registrations were his. In those days A 1 would have cost nothing but a small registration fee. The younger brother “1 A” was sold at a auction in December 1989 reaching a hammer price of £160,000. Nearly ten years on the late Roy Palmer bought and sold both numbers together to a very flamboyant Royal prince. The numbers were transferred very quickly to identical white Bentleys, just in time to collect the prince from his private jet. Today the first number plate ever issued “A 1” could be worth anything up to £1,000 000, if in the unlikely event it would be for sale.

A 1 used to be owned by the Dunlop Tyre Company, I remember seeing it on one of their service barges, a Ford Granada Estate at the Phoenix Park races, probably around the late 80's

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement