Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which would you rather win?

• 09-12-2006 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

CL or Premiership?

I had this argument with my friend again tonight (also a United fan), he insists that the CL is a better judge of true skill than a league is. Beyond that he says there is more glory in it.

personally I will always want to win the Premiership over any cup compo, even the CL, just cause I feel its a better indication of how good your team really is, and there is more glory in beating the teams you play week in week out than against the top teams from other countries.

Which would you rather win? 27 votes

Champions League
    0%
    Premiership
    100%
    Big Chiefsuper_furryRaskolnikovBigConBatemanzAbboCorben DallasGuy:IncognitoeirebhoyBig Earsdubmickcruiserweightredspiderevad_lhorgPlayboyAndrew 83A Dub in GlasgoRoddy23ninebeanrows[Deleted User] 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Depends on the circumstances of the club you support i guess. Id go with Premiership myself, but id imagine arsenal fans would go with champions league. Chelsea champs league as well id say.

If it was a once off as though pool hadn't just won it ( for the fifth time:D ) id still go for premiership as it shows more accurately that you have a quality team with consistency over a full season.

Meanwhile if i was a fan of a smaller league (anything outside of Italy England Spain and to a lessor extent germany and france), then i'd probably prefer the champions league so that would show that you could put it up to the big boys and could prove you could perform above your so called level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Domestic league = bread and butter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

True story, a lot of Geordies would rather win the FA Cup!

Liverpudlians seem to be obsessed with the league.

Mancunians I think would prefer the Champions League, possibly because they're bored of winning the Premiership by now.

The Madridstas regard the European Cup as the holy grail

- Del Bosque was sacked in 2003 for not winning it despite winning the league, but Jupp Heynckes was also sacked for doing poorly in the league despite winning the European Cup in 98, so I guess they're almost equally important.

Personally I would rather win the league before the European Cup, although beggars can't really be choosy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

As a Southampton fan I'd desperately love to win the Premiership, but if that were to happen in a magical fairytale land, then I'm sure my attention would shift to the CL. Having said that, I'd prefer to win the PL and have a decent run in the CL than have a decent run in the PL and win the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Most seasons CL but seeing as its a while since the Premiership has come home then this season its definately PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As a Liverpool fan - I would really love us to get a league title. However, Europe is absolute magic - and a real event to get behind every year as a supporter. If you could only win one in a season - I'd take a sixth (thats right Pillow Talk - five under the belt already) Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Well I'm a Villa fan so I'd be happy to even win the Carling Cup at the moment :D

But if I had the choice, probably the league. While in the CL you play better teams, in the PL, it's the amount of games that you play that push it for me. It shows that you have a full squad of consistently good players. In the CL all you need is a team of good players (and a bit of luck sometimes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Should add an option for both or any of them to be honest. They are both as good as it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well i think everyone would pick both then....

Premiership every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

The Champions League has become so devalued in my eyes since the introduction of 2nd, 3rd, 4th place teams into the competition that any national league would be no.1 to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Premiership
    Definitely Champions' League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

The Champions League has become so devalued in my eyes since the introduction of 2nd, 3rd, 4th place teams into the competition that any national league would be no.1 to me.

Strange logic, in a way. Surely the fact that there are more teams means that, to win the CL, you need to be more consistent and less reliant on the luck of Millwall-esque cup runs, much like the League. Plus, only Serie A, La Liga and the Premiership get that many teams, and it's difficult to argue that the presense of AC Milan, Inter, Roma, Juventus, Barcelona, Valencia, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool or Arsenal devalues the competition. Taking your logic to its most extreme, the World Club Championship should be the most prestigious competition.

As a United fan, under normal circumstances I'd regard the Champions' League as the more prestigious competition. I will, for example, remember United 1999 victory over Bayern Munich more than I'll remember any of our Premiership successes. This season I feel different though, the prospect of overturning Chelsea would be worth getting knocked out of the CL, easily. I suppose the moral of the story is that they are quite similar competitions in their importance, and it depends completely on your individual perspective as to which tops the other.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,338 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The Premiership - it would mean that Leeds managed to get themselves out of the damn Championship

As a United fan, under normal circumstances I'd regard the Champions' League as the more prestigious competition. I will, for example, remember United 1999 victory over Bayern Munich more than I'll remember any of our Premiership successes. This season I feel different though, the prospect of overturning Chelsea would be worth getting knocked out of the CL, easily. I suppose the moral of the story is that they are quite similar competitions in their importance, and it depends completely on your individual perspective as to which tops the other.

Yeah context is a big factor alright. Chelsea have had it relatively easy in the PL recently so the CL is the only thing left now. Liverpool won **** all of any significance for a long time to either the PL or CL would have been great. Now that the CL was won, the PL is the only thing left. ManU have won both recently enough but I can see what the PL would pip the CL for them. As for Arsenal, the CL without doubt. Any other club would take either at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Premiership
    From a Chelsea perspective, Champions League definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The domestic league is the true measure of a team's ability.

The CL should be renamed but "Champion's + 2nd, 3rd, 4th place League" doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

If my team were still in contention for either of these competitions, I would prefer them to win the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Premier League until its regained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool won **** all of any significance for a long time to either the PL or CL would have been great. Now that the CL was won, the PL is the only thing left. ManU have won both recently enough but I can see what the PL would pip the CL for them.

Ahem Liverpool won the UEFA Cup when it was still a proper competition ('pool overcame Olympiakos, Porto, Roma and Barcalona on the way) while its now 7 years since Man Utd won the CL. Time ticks by! As for right now I'd take the Prem title over the CL but if Big Ears was won again I'd be happy enough. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Premier League definitely.

Back in the old days, when we had three European competitions and only league champions got to play in the European Cup, the Cup Winners Cup came in for stick because it was easier to qualify for than the other two (lucky run of fixtures to the final for example, just look at Millwall's from 03/04 - Walsall, Telford Utd, Burnley, Tranmere, Sunderland then lose to Utd in final)

The fact that three associations get 4 CL places slightly devalues the competition for me, though I'd still love it if Sours got to compete in it (see, I'd just settle for qualifying...;) )

Winning the PL requires greater consistency IMO>

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Ahem Liverpool won the UEFA Cup when it was still a proper competition ('pool overcame Olympiakos, Porto, Roma and Barcalona on the way) while its now 7 years since Man Utd won the CL. Time ticks by! As for right now I'd take the Prem title over the CL but if Big Ears was won again I'd be happy enough. :)

Mike.

You know what I mean Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Premiership
    I don't think winning the premiership could come close to winning the Champions league. I'd say there was very few Liverpool supporters in work the day after they won the CL. :) The club you support is on the front or back page of every paper in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

right now, as a united fan, id sacrifice the CL to win the league. moving chelsea off their perch as the biggest team in england is united biggest challenge @ the moment. the CL is like a lottery over the past 4-5 and not always the best teams get the furthest. the league is generally won by the best team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

There is no comparison .
    Champions league is far more prestigious,its the holy grail for many teams .
    A club cannot be regarded as elite unless it wins the European Cup/Champions League.
    I'd gladly swap 3 Premierships for one Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Premiership
    The Champions League is the one to win. Just look at every club across Europe and see which one they have won the most, their own league or the CL/European Cup. Most would trade several league titles for one CL title.

One reason why the CL is unpredictable is that it is tougher to win. Also, as its head to head its a different type of competition than a league campaign. In the latter, you can falter and still win. You can even do worse against the bigger teams and still win it. In the CL, one blip and you are out. Its a different type of consistency.

I think Liverpool fans would not have traded the CL for the league a couple of years ago. Mind you, the wait for the league title is forefront in fans minds.

Of course, teams like to win trophies, and at any one point in time, a club may be more geared talent-wise to beating teams in Europe than tackling the likes of a Bolton or a Portsmouth. If a club hasn't won the league in a long-time, it will want to win that. Clubs such as Newcastle just want to win any trophy at all and qualify for the CL.

For Chelsea this season, after winning two leagues in a row, the CL is what the owner wants and probably the fans too, although the lure of a three-in-a-row is there. Four in a row leagues titles doesnt mean so much.

For Man Utd, winning the league is what they are after. Of course Ferguson really does want to win the CL, but with no league win in the last few years and with a young team (in parts!), he proably is not pinning his hopes on a CL win this year. Arsenal had their CL chance last season so its a year of consolidation in both comps. For Liverpool, they will try and get as far as they can in the CL as their league race is over but the clu is geared towards both competitions.

In terms of money, the CL is far and away more lucrative, and a solid run in the competition is what the Owners and the financial people are after.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

If my team was a team that had won the Premier League a few years in a row then probably the CL otherwise it would be the Premier League if the team hadnt won it in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Premiership
    The Champions League is the pinnacle of world club football. There is no more prestigious competition and for that reason alone, it has to be the Champions Leaugue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

For me, it comes down to the difference between a cup and a league.

Which is more impressive, the FA Cup or the Premiership?
    They both have the same top teams, but everybody would favour the premiership just because leagues prove more.
    If it was a European league, then obviously everyone would pick Europe, but with the knockoutness of the CL, I think it's not as big as winning the premiership/La Liga/Serie A.

Advertisement