Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is boards.ie freespeech with terms and conditions of that right?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The internet isn't your f*cking ball, you cannot stop playing, and go home with it. Shut the f*ck up and deal.
    Spot on!

We're sorry if people being friends annoys you, but believe it or not, some of us were friends in the time before boards :eek: Imagine that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Kharn wrote:
    Spot on!

We're sorry if people being friends annoys you, but believe it or not, some of us were friends in the time before boards :eek: Imagine that...

And friendships have been born through this very website. Doodly. But I wouldn't bother using logic to try and ease Da Gophers complaints about the MAN fúcking with his internet rights. He has a fixed view which he cannot change because he is limited by having a closed mind. Maybe someday he will see how things really work around here but in all probability he and indeed others will never understand.

Who cares anyway? Let's just site ban him, kill his family then rape his dog like the evil bastards we are!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

amp wrote:
    Who cares anyway? Let's just site ban him, kill his family then rape his dog like the evil bastards we are!
    Ah here, leave the dog out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

delly wrote:
    Ah here, leave the dog out of it.

The dog was asking for it, being out alone all night, drunk and wearing that short skirt... Wait. this is the wrong website for that.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Rather then go through your list I'd like to point out a difference I thought might arise.

Firstly I'd like to point out that you didnt answer the second of my questions as it leads to an obvious third question of "what would those rules be" (presuming you agree that you have to HAVE rules in the first place).

But lets look at your response/
    I asked you what you would do if you were in charge. You gave a list, fair enough. That entire list would be a much more appropiate answer to the question "What would you want changed to make Boards better for you?".

Let me explain what I'm getting at. When asked what you would do if you were in charge, you gave me a list of things that would make it better for you. But possibly considerably worse for lots of other people. You've fallen into a trap called "The Poker Players Fallacy", the belief that every other player plays along the same logical way as you do. "He couldnt have a full house, noone would raise now if they did!"
    You believe that what would make Boards better for you would make it better for everyone.

The admins cannot afford to do that. We have to consider what is best for the largest number of people. We need to find that balance where, for every person who thinks we are overly strict with the rules, there is another who thinks the place has gone to ruin. I would very much like to allow people to say what they see fit on Boards, owning their own words and the repercussions of them. Unfortunately we'd be closed down in 24 hours. That is NOT good for the 99% of free speech which is NOT controversial. The 4-5000 posts that are posted here every day suffer for the 1-2 controversial (quite possibly WRONG and UNTRUE) posts you want to support.

Will your approach or mine bring about the greatest amount of free speech?

I'm not sure how we achieve point-three without more of point one. In fact none of your suggestions have an explanation of how we are supposed to achieve any of them.

In short what you have given me is your santa-wish-list rather then what YOU think would make Boards.ie run better, smoother, and maximise its utility to the largest number of people.

The difference between a user and an admin is that most users think about themselves and what they want, the admins have to think about how a decision affects the whole populace and ultimately take decisions that may be unpopular to some for the greater good.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one" Spock. (Mr. not Dr.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

"There's Klingons on the starboard bow" Uhuru.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

"Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scolb." -Sugar packet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

DeVore wrote:

The admins cannot afford to do that. We have to consider what is best for the largest number of people

Clearly this is website is a hotbed of communist dogs.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No, we are clearly keen on constraining people's freedom of speech by giving them a platform on which to say things. Cunning.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hagar wrote:
    "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one" Spock. (Mr. not Dr.)
    I have been and always shall be your friend. Spock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

julep wrote:
    I have been and always shall be your friend. Spock.

"Because the needs of the one.......outweigh the needs of the many" - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III The Search for Spock

Perhaps DeV it might shut this debate up one and for all by making it clear when signing up that this is a privatly owned board and there are regrettably some limitations on what you can post because of this.

But I'm sure we'll get some witty Douglas Adams inspired excuse about it anyway ("How can I be expected to read that, I didnt know it was there, you never burnt the rule into my forehead with a laser did you, na na na............oh, a RED laser, I'm colour blind, why isnt it in green, I can see that")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Perhaps DeV it might shut this debate up one and for all by making it clear when signing up that this is a privatly owned board and there are regrettably some limitations on what you can post because of this.
    Yeah, because they all get that once it's been explained to them once...

Advertisement