Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best jap motors??

Options
  • 09-12-2006 3:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

What are in your opinion the best non-turbo jap motors???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

depends on what your preference is - when you say non-turbo I immediately think of hondas.

what characteristics are you looking for (pardon the pun)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Have to agree with bo-bo here. Best non-turbo's WITHOUT DOUBT are Honda. V-tec engines are just legendary;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

look no further than the 3 letters: CRX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

look no further than the 3 letters: CRX

Along with SIR, CTR, ITR etc

Vti, PTS [just made that one up - Prelude Type S]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

have to agree with ye lads hondas are the way 2 go, bought my vtec last feb and luv it!! levins and mivecs are nice non turbos aswell, they pack plenty of punch for the size of the engine, compared to 2.0L non turbo skylines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

vtecoverratedpd2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

C-Breeze, I hope you plan to back that up with comments.

I can dazzle you with a lot of Honda Facts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

im dazzled already , i know a lot myself. i just thought the picture was funny and also hate the plebs that always go on about hondas who havent got a clue (not anyone here though, but in general)

..."yeah man i got da civic VTECKH kickis in about 19,000 rpm and has 500bhp , smoke any car on da road!!11!!!!"

...but where facts are concerned the b16a is a very sweet NA engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

B16A is a legendary engine. I had the pleasure of driving with one for over three years & was never disappointed.

Quoting Jeremy Clarksons' research which I saw when he test drove an ITR:

"Honda have manufactured 50,000,000 V-tec engines, and not one failure"!

Speaks for itself really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Best Jab Motor = Mazda RX-8 or RX-7 rotary rules......

i'd love to try a rotary, but i heard they drink the juice... is that right?

DavidClayton they really do drink juice like its going out of fashon and some oil also...but that the price I pay willingly to thrash around at 8000 RPM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Or 9500rpm in the 231bhp RX8!!! Rotary are an excellent engine for sure, but be careful when you mention RX7's... the best of those were turbocharged!
    Honda do make savage engines though. 9000rpm in a 2 litre 4 cylinder with 237bhp and no known reliability issues?!? Can't argue with that!
    Toyota to be fair have some peachs of engines too. For its day, and many days after that the 1.6 twin-cam engine in the corrolas is very good.
    Nissan's best tend to be turbo'd. Same with mitsubishi. Still, there's the vzr-n1 engine from Nissan, 197bhp from a 1.6 N/A. (limited jap only production run).

But in my opinion, the best engine, and the best car overall to come from Japan, is the NSX. The sound needs to be heard to be believed.

Yes the NSX is savage......shame they dont make it anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Yes the NSX is savage......shame they dont make it anymore
    Should be a new one coming out in a couple of years though, rumors of a V10...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the sound from a Mitsubishi MIVEC V6 is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

The 3.0l na Supra engine is fantastic. Absolutely bulletproof, as are more Toyota engines. Big tax though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

hey C_Breeze
    didnt know v-tech made engines, last time i checked they made kiddies computers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

The v-tech engines are very reliable but i know of someone who managed to blow up a 1.6 SIR. But he was doing about 145mph for a few mins! other than that they are bulletproof!

I have a Pulsar VZR which is about 175bhp standard, similar to a 1.6 V-tech. So far hasnt given me any trouble. The 197bhp is the red top version which are very rare and is the quickest 1.6 production car. Both have Neo-VVL, variable valve timing and lift, nissans version of the v-tech.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Another vote for the Honda here, I have a CRX SiR and the B16 engine is fantastic. Was thinking of getting a DC2 TypeR but I'm now looking at a turboed CRX instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Has anyone purchased from tradecarview.com what was you experience like .What other company is good to import from.thanks in advance

Advertisement