Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bank Card Swallowed

• 09-12-2006 4:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Heres a good one, just been up to the Bank Of Ireland to withdraw money with my Permenant Tsb card and the F***ing Machiene ate my card it asked me for my pin three times and it ate it :(:(:(, Now i have no money for weekend ^&*(%$£ ^&^&%$£$ ah well thats my rant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You put the wrong pin in three times.
    What did you expect?

Edit: Is "mod" not a censored word for user tags?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

unlucky

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The three strikes and you out (swallowed) is for everyone's protection in this age of electronic theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Look on the bright side, the money will still be there (for a few days anyway) by the time you get your new pin sorted out instead of wasting it on zee demon bottle. :) Blessing in disguise maybe or something. *dun dunnnnnn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

i'm sure a friend could lend ya some monies if needed.

i got locked out of my internet banking the other day - thought i had put it in properly and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

Rabies wrote:
    You put the wrong pin in three times.
    What did you expect?

thats assuming the OP put in the wrong pin of course, if it wasnt then its not the machine thats got your card right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

did the OP not say that he put the pin in 3 times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

green123 wrote:
    unlucky
    I would use a diffferent word.
    Besprechen wrote:
    thats assuming the OP put in the wrong pin of course, if it wasnt then its not the machine thats got your card right now!
    Uh huh... We better get this thread moved to Consipiracy Theories Batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Machine had one of these skimming machines in it, and other people are not happily spending his money. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

rugbug86 wrote:
    did the OP not say that he put the pin in 3 times?

Yes he did, but the point people are making is that the machine may have had a card holding device that stores your card. So maybe he entered the pin 3 times, and now some crook is emptying he account. I'm sure he was smart enough to ring the 24/7 emergency line though.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lump wrote:
    Yes he did, but the point people are making is that the machine may have had a card holding device that stores your card. So maybe he entered the pin 3 times, and now some crook is emptying he account. I'm sure he was smart enough to ring the 24/7 emergency line though.

John
    He entered the pin wrong 3 times. There MAY be some sort of criminal thing going on. Or the machine may have just taken his card like they always do when you enter the pin wrong 3 times.

Which is more likely? The choice, is yours.

OP this happened a mate of mine, just go to the bank and tell them, and they'll send out a replacement card to wherever you opened your account (my mate's was in Wickleh and he was living in Tallaght, doh!), and I presume you show ID down there and you're given your card. Takes a bit of time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

You want a horror story re: Bank Cards?

Was in Thailand this summer, and staying on a very quiet island. It was about 8 days until I was due to fly home, and we were leaving this particular island the next day to head back to Bangkok. Anyway, at about 1am on the last night, I decided I'd head to a nearby ATM on my rented moped to withdraw all the money for the rest of the holiday, to avoid taking it out in small amounts and paying lots of bank charges...

So I drive to the ATM, and the island isn't really what you might think of as your typical Thai island. It's basically one huge straight road for about 30km. I get to the ATM, which is about 500m down the main road from my resort, and put in my card.

No problems yet, I enter in that I would like to withdraw about 15,000 Baht (300 Euro or so...). The machine displays me a confirmation screen, asking if I'm sure. Literally the instant I push yes, it is as if the power switch for the entire island has been pushed. Now it was dark before, but this time it was absolute black. I'm standing there, ****ting it, thinking its some sort of scam and that my money has been taken, but I didn't have a phone and was afraid to leave the machine in case the money was going to come out if the power came back on. There was absolutely nobody around, bar the odd car that would drive past every five minutes or so.

Eventually I decided to head back to the resort to get someones phone (and someone to come with me!) and ring AIB, to see what the story was as regards the money. On my way back, of course, I got lost in the dark and ended up being flanked by another moped with two eager prostitutes on it, both of whom were extremely suspect looking (Thailand is famous for its 'ladyboys'). Anyway, I got away from those two and their playful spanking, and eventually got back.

Rang AIB and found that both the money and the card were gone. So I had to rely on handouts from mates until I could eventually get money forwarded to me a few days later, but man that was the scariest night of my life!

Oh, and I got the money back into my account when I got home.

As Borat might say, great success!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Happy ending at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

paconnors wrote:
    Heres a good one, just been up to the Bank Of Ireland to withdraw money with my Permenant Tsb card and the F***ing Machiene ate my card it asked me for my pin three times and it ate it :(:(:(, Now i have no money for weekend ^&*(%$£ ^&^&%$£$ ah well thats my rant
    Noone to blame but yourself. If the machine's buttons were faulty (unlikely), after the 2nd attempt at entering your PIN you could have pressed "Cancel" to get your card back. If you cannot remember a 4 digit number, you will always have this problem with banking and credit cards, fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Am I the only one who read the thread title and thought the OP ate his card?
    . . . *tumbleweed* . . .
    Moving on, I broke my card before but I called the bank and got a new one a few days later. Thing is since I had the card they asked for a number on it to confirm it was mine. If it wasn't for that I'd probably need one of the other numbers to do with my account. I know my PIN offhand and have my acc no around somewhere but I can't remember any of the numbers I've gotten in the post saying "Please memorise this number and destroy this message".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

no card, no cash, no chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

Just last week i entered my pin wrong 3 times... It DID NOT swallow my card...it gave it back and said contact bank to unlock pin....I'm with AIB btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You want a horror story re: Bank Cards?

Was in Thailand this summer, and staying on a very quiet island. It was about 8 days until I was due to fly home, and we were leaving this particular island the next day to head back to Bangkok. Anyway, at about 1am on the last night, I decided I'd head to a nearby ATM on my rented moped to withdraw all the money for the rest of the holiday, to avoid taking it out in small amounts and paying lots of bank charges...

So I drive to the ATM, and the island isn't really what you might think of as your typical Thai island. It's basically one huge straight road for about 30km. I get to the ATM, which is about 500m down the main road from my resort, and put in my card.

No problems yet, I enter in that I would like to withdraw about 15,000 Baht (300 Euro or so...). The machine displays me a confirmation screen, asking if I'm sure. Literally the instant I push yes, it is as if the power switch for the entire island has been pushed. Now it was dark before, but this time it was absolute black. I'm standing there, ****ting it, thinking its some sort of scam and that my money has been taken, but I didn't have a phone and was afraid to leave the machine in case the money was going to come out if the power came back on. There was absolutely nobody around, bar the odd car that would drive past every five minutes or so.

Eventually I decided to head back to the resort to get someones phone (and someone to come with me!) and ring AIB, to see what the story was as regards the money. On my way back, of course, I got lost in the dark and ended up being flanked by another moped with two eager prostitutes on it, both of whom were extremely suspect looking (Thailand is famous for its 'ladyboys'). Anyway, I got away from those two and their playful spanking, and eventually got back.

Rang AIB and found that both the money and the card were gone. So I had to rely on handouts from mates until I could eventually get money forwarded to me a few days later, but man that was the scariest night of my life!

As Borat might say, great success!

I was in South Africa at the start of the year and there was power shortages for a few months. At one point there'd be power for only three or four hours a day and no way to tell when the power was going to go. So getting money out of ATM's was very sketchy for that reason in your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

paconnors wrote:

Could ya not remeber your pin? Where you locked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

rugbug86 wrote:
    i'm sure a friend could lend ya some monies if needed.

i got locked out of my internet banking the other day - thought i had put it in properly and all.

i did that today. Im definitely had the right details entered, caps lock wasn't on etc. Now im worried someones after skimming my card or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Heres the story, i put my mothers card in :o:o and i entered in my pin :D:D we are both with the same bank. Tried my card later on and discovered i had no funds in said account, direct debit came out :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If its your mother's card she will need to ring up and leave a message for it to be cancelled, open24 is closed now. The card will be cancelled on monday morning and a new one will be sent out with a new pin to her house in 3-5 working days.

If its not her ringing in to cancel then the card will be totally cancelled and she'll need to get a new one generated in the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

i'l bring her into the bank on monday she can collect it there

She'll need a new card if you entered in the details incorrectly 3 times. Quickest way to get one is cancel current one, she'll have to get a new one sent out to her anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well at least ya didnt get 60euro nicked off ya like i did:mad:

And then when i tried to get it back they did absolutely nothing, flippin disgrace but ya gotta get on with it:rolleyes:

Surely there's a 24hour 7 days a week emergancy number to ring...

http://www.cardwatch.org.uk/default.asp?sectionid=3&pageid=110

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭sioda

The problem with the emergency number is that it is on the back of the card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

i'l bring her into the bank on monday she can collect it there

Swallowed cards are rarely returned out of the ATM.

pstb Lost & Stolen
    ptsb wrote:
    Lost or Stolen Card?
    ATM/Laser Cards (24 hours) 1800 687 687

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So the ATM swallows, not spits!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

haha, that's gotta suck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 missgiggles

The OP didn't necessarily enter their pin incorrectly 3 times. This happened me a the Friday of a bank holiday a couple of years ago.I entered my card and the correct pin but instead of displaying the amounts I could withdraw the computer re-booted and the screen came back saying the atm was out of order. The security man I spoke to said it was a regular occurrence with those atms and I would have to wait until Securicore came to restock it before I would get it back. It fecked up my weekend but my card was sent back to my bank the following week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Nope, I thought it too. I'm rather disappointed now...

sioda wrote:
    The problem with the emergency number is that it is on the back of the card

...... or on the link that I posted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Lump wrote:
    ...... or on the link that I posted :rolleyes:

Which doesn't help when you're stuck on a pitch-black island in Thailand at 1am... :)

But I'm sure your link was appreciated.

I thought this was going to be a thread about a bank card being swallowed by someone. Was thinking it would be a bitch to pass through.

Hrm, what happens to the cards once they are swallowed though? Does it stay in the pass machine for someone to take it out and hold on to it?

• Advertisement

They're posted to the bank of the card and then they're either sent to the address of the customer if its secure, dispose of it if its cancelled or hold onto it for a period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

sorry If somebody else has already said this but who thought this thread was about a person managing to swallow their bank card?
    paconnors wrote:

Sangre wrote:
    If its your mother's card she will need to ring up and leave a message for it to be cancelled, open24 is closed now. The card will be cancelled on monday morning and a new one will be sent out with a new pin to her house in 3-5 working days.

If its not her ringing in to cancel then the card will be totally cancelled and she'll need to get a new one generated in the bank.

Am i the only one that found that sentence funny? .. not very 24, is it?

Unless you meant theyre closed down for good..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

stovelid wrote:
    sorry If somebody else has already said this but who thought this thread was about a person managing to swallow their bank card?
    The title of the thread gave that impression to me and presumably the other person.

Am i the only one that found that sentence funny? .. not very 24, is it?

Unless you meant theyre closed down for good..
    The 24 in Open24 refers to the fact the Automated Phone and Internet banking is available 24 hours a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I dunno what some of ye people are talking about, i worked in a bank over the summer and when a card was swallowed ya jus had to go into the branch, they open the machine and hey presto you have your card back, simple as....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I got my replacement TSB open 24 card in the post yesterday after my own one was nicked out of my truck in Limerick on Monday. I Rang open 24 this morning ( saturday) to see if i needed a new pin or if i had to activate the card. The guy (Darren) on the phone said that it would work away no problem with the old pin. Now a bank machine in Blackpool (Cork) has my ATM card after i put in my pin 3 times and i'm stuck without cash/food/diesel for the whole weekend. What a sloppy service from TSB. I am so MAAAAD!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Did you make it clear it was stolen? I had a bank card stolen before and it needed a new PIN, but whenever I lost it I kept the old PIN. Mind you that was with a different bank so I'm not sure what the usual practice is.

I got my replacement TSB open 24 card in the post yesterday after my own one was nicked out of my truck in Limerick on Monday. I Rang open 24 this morning ( saturday) to see if i needed a new pin or if i had to activate the card. The guy (Darren) on the phone said that it would work away no problem with the old pin. Now a bank machine in Blackpool (Cork) has my ATM card after i put in my pin 3 times and i'm stuck without cash/food/diesel for the whole weekend. What a sloppy service from TSB. I am so MAAAAD!!!!!
    I wonder if that was me you were talking to, doubt it though.

Sangre wrote:
    I wonder if that was me you were talking to, doubt it though.

omg that would be too funny

You probably shouldnt have mentioned him by name

Nah, there is no way I would have told him that.

Two of yee working there now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

. . . *tumbleweed* . . .

thats what i thought from the title...:P why i read this thread in first place!

Hmm, just found out the other Darren doesn't work saturdays :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement