Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Anywhere!

Options
  • 09-12-2006 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi, Is there still a place for satellite broadband? prices vary, one way systems start at e10 per month, two way systems start at e99 per month, are companies willing to pay this much if there is no other choice??? Comments please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The problem with satelite broadband is the latency.

Is there no way for you to get wireless broadband in yourarea ? give digiweb a try. If there is a interest in your area they will try and get a aentena up around you.

But iirc eircom do, do satelite broadband. But i think when i looked at it a few years ago the installation cost was huge ( a couple of thousand ) Adn the equipment was very expensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Gee jasperdajester, do you know anyone offering "satellite broadband"
    Thanks again Noel for leaving the Irish public at the mercy of these snake oil salesmen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 worzel1

The Welsh Rural Enterprise Board offer a grant to cover the difference in price between the cost of cable broadband and of satellite broadband (Including on-going costs). This is great if you want to start a business in rural Wales, hopefully this service will be available here soon. In the meantime Micromagic.biz are probably the best option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Governmnet policy should be to organise the provision of anything but satellite broadband, satellite BB is a technology for the third world not the first world.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While the Welsh Rural Enterprise Board offer grands is brilliant, you do realise this is boards.ie and as such broadband discussion is in relation to Ireland.

In relation to your need for comments regarding satalite, I'm sure you'll get loads here although most will be negative except for the small amount of people that are just desperate and wanted some sort of high speed internet connection thats overpriced imho

Most people want to use to the net these days for things like video chats, voip, on-line gaming all of which will not really operate correctly on sat and as such its a waste of time in most peoples eyes

• Advertisement

have you not got plenty of good wireless options in west cork where you live worzel ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jasperdajester

I have a two way system here and it's seems to be ok with voice over ip and gaming, it's really good apart from the price starting at 99 p/m. I argee that one way is no good for these things but I can't knock the quality of service on the two way systems, just the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I think there is a need for such a service as there are many many ppl who still cannot get broadband supplied to them by Eircom, BT ect, even in Dublin. Having said that the prices would have to be more in the €10 p.m. region rather than the €99 p.m. However from what I have heard about sat bb it will not be for everybody. Apparently it's no good for online gaming for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

I have a two way system here and it's seems to be ok with voice over ip and gaming

If you like your VoIP to resemble 2 Way radio and online chess is your game

For first person shooter type games 2 Way (or 1 way for that matter) Sat is only going to make you happy if you like spending a lot of time dead

.brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ah the jasperdajester & worzel1 double act that promotes Vsat. As banned from Ireland Offline.

Yawn.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I have a two way system here and it's seems to be ok with voice over ip and gaming, it's really good apart from the price starting at 99 p/m. I argee that one way is no good for these things but I can't knock the quality of service on the two way systems, just the price.
    I see the laws of physics don't apply to your satellite company. If your company is shady enough to go around marketing like this there is no way I would trust you with my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

**** Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Actually a lot of 2 way radio is better, as I sure :D you know Bminish! We could always delay the pip a bit on some repeaters just to have that NASA / VSAT experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 worzel1

Hi, Can anyone tell me iff any kind of comunity satellite is in use where a dish can serve more than one household

yes, Ildana and Aramiska did community satellite and wireless , they went bankrupt early this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jasperdajester

watty wrote:
    Ah the jasperdajester & worzel1 double act that promotes Vsat. As banned from Ireland Offline.

Yawn.....

I don't want to advertise here! I just want to learn more about broadband anyway, this is a good place. If someone is using one of our email addresses to post it doesn't mean we are a double act. I have full respect for boads.ie and it's purpose. I won't mention or give business details out here! However, i would like to find out what broadband options are available in the countryside and what is coming in the near future. I know about one way and two way systems. Someone was saying they only get 1 gig a month for 16 euro from skydsl, i'm pretty sure without looking it up that it should be 3 gigs. Also, they are charging for the PCI card at present.The other thing I've heard recently is that vodafone will be doing broadband anywhere you can get a mobile phone signal.

Also, they are charging for the PCI card at present.

Lookit, the card is about €45-50

Quality Dish and lnb and cable are €100 max.

Why is the install over €300 for this lot ??

Advertisement