Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT and other taxes/tariffs

Options
  • 09-12-2006 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

ok i know basically nothing about these except that you have to pay them if you import a vehicle.

basically my questions are as follows:

1. are all vehicles required to pay vrt and other import taxes,. or are things like moped's (sp??) exempt from vrt?

2. if you own a vehicle for more than 6 months in a foreign country, is it true that you do not have to pay the vrt on it when you import it to ireland?

3. what kind of charges are there? again for say a moped would you pay per weight or by size or what way does it work?

4. what are the different types of charges that i'd have to pay from the time its leaves the foreign country to the time it is in my front garden??

thanks for any help given to me on this topic.

tails

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. Read through http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/services/bus_vrt.htm
    It is applicable on all new & used cars at varying rates depending on CC. A moped would be subject to the lower 22% rate.

2. You would need to prove that you were living and working abroad for those 6 months. If you can then you would be able to get off VRT. You cant sell the vehicle for 12 months. If you do sell it you must pay he applicable VRT.
    3. IIRC VRT on a moped is cc based.
    4. VRT, Possibly VAT, motor tax, insurance for starters. If you travel abroad to purchase one then its likely that you will be subject to ferry fees, fuel, hotel, etc.

Advertisement