Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Acces Point instead of Switch?

• 09-12-2006 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I have a existing modem and a server running clarkconnect. Each pc connects to a switch which in turn connects to the server, the server then connects to the modem.
    If i got a WAP can i use it to replace the switch? Do most WAP's have a cat5 port as well as being wireless? I have maybe 2 pc's (wired) and a couple of laptops (wireless) sharing internet in my house, would a WAP be the way to go?

Another thing, whats a decent WAP from the likes of komplett? Belkin, D-Link, lynksys?

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Yes, a wireless router should be able to meet your requirements.
    They normally have 4-5 ethernet ports.
    One tip though; do yourself a favour and buy something decent instead of any of the brands you mention.
    It might cost a few euros more but you'll appreciate it in the long run...

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I already have a router thou.

I want to route everyone on the network trough the server.

Them was the names komplett stock :P

Unless you are willing to fork our serious money you won't find a wireless switch (think Aruba, Trapeze, Proxim, Cisco).
    Will a router alone not suffice fro what you want?
    As for what type to buy; Komplett is not the be all & end all off IT supplies (far from it....).
    My personal recommendation would got to a Ruckus device (www.ruckuswireless.com) followed at a distance by Proxim and Buffalo...

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

The reason i had the server is mainly file storage, extra layer of security and because it can do traffic shapping.

Off course i can do without the server for file sharing but the bandwith shaping is kind of important to me. I like to game alot and with other house mates constantly on youtube or downloading what not it affects my ping in a bad way, telling them to stop because i want to game isnt exatly fair either.

If i can keep my ping stable and low with just a router (QoS???) then i could live without the server i guess, also a few boxes less ti hide away :D

Jozi

That ruckas stuff looks nice, pricey thou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

A decent router will be able to do your traffic-shaping for you.

As an aside, I'm a believer in having a dedicated firewall device as opposed to having firewalling functionality on a machine that's being used for other purposes. There's no harm (in fact, quite the opposite) in having firewalls on machines on the network, but the device at the interface with the network and the Internet should really be dedicated. That's my opinion, others will no doubt not entirely agree with it.

Having gone through Smoothwall and IPCop over the years, my current favourite firewall is M0n0wall. It's an excellent firewall with traffic-shaping and VPN features and I whole-heartedly recommend it.

Regards,

Liam

• Advertisement

If QoS is important to you I would really have a look at the Ruckus gear.
    They have an excellent throughput and can handle multiple high throughput datastreams.
    Have a look here for a better idea: http://www.wimax-eu.com/ruckus7.swf

E.

Advertisement