Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Deposit on a second hand car

Options
  • 09-12-2006 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Does anyone have any idea what my rights are if I've paid a deposit on a second hand car? Priivate sale. Am a bit worried that the seller might get a better offer and accept it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If your concerned then don't leave a deposit - or better still, if you like the car, pay for it in full and drive away with it.

If you do have to leave a deposit ask the seller if he will accept a post-dated cheque as a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Usually if I am buying a car and leaving a deposit, I try to get the logbook in exchange. Depends on the car and the seller - if I was in any doubt I would raise the cash as quickly as possible, or pay by cheque and leave with the car.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Usually if I am buying a car and leaving a deposit, I try to get the logbook in exchange. Depends on the car and the seller - if I was in any doubt I would raise the cash as quickly as possible, or pay by cheque and leave with the car.

There's no way I'd give you my car if you were just handing a cheque!:eek:
    molltralee wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea what my rights are if I've paid a deposit on a second hand car? Priivate sale. Am a bit worried that the seller might get a better offer and accept it.

If the seller is 1/2 decent he'll at least make you aware of the better offer & give you a chance to match it (you should have first refusal). If you really want the car offer more (if it's really worth it). Failing that get your deposit back & look elsewhere.

Advertisement