Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

converting toyota corolla van into car?

Options
  • 09-12-2006 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

What do I have to do to make it legal, in terms of vrt and anything else that needs to be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dunno, but I'd imagine it would be cheaper to just sell it and buy a non-van corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

car vans are a highly sought after by first time drivers because of cheap insurance you would be better off selling it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

didn't realise they were that sought after
    the conversion into a car was gonna be down the road somewhere, wanna hold onto it as there's only 60k on it (and it's immaculate) and 3dr diesel hatch's are hard to come by in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are alot of safety issues that need to be addressed when the conversion is being made. It is complex and not just a matter of sticking a seat in the rear and putting windows back in. There are also insurance to take into account. Your insurance company may require an engineers report on the conversion to make sure it as safe for rear passengers, ect as a standard car. You will also have to change from commerical tax and insurance to private. Might be worth ringing your insurance company before going ahead with the conversion. See what their take is on it.

Saying that carvans usually start out in life as regular cars in the first place and are converted to reduce VRT, etc when they come into Ireland afaik.

As others have said it might work out better just to sell it privately and buy the standard car version. Corolla vans hold their value quite well and there is strong demand for ones with low mileage and in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Toyota destroy the seat belt mountings when they convert them, to stop people from installing seatbelts and seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

the dastards! - is it intentionally or just to facilitate mods?
    been looking around, there ain't a very big difference in price between van and car - i was just thinking of resale value

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't buy a van that was turned into a car. add the cost of fitting seats, seat belts, windows, carpeting the rear, and you'll have spent too much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Best bet is sell it and buy a car then!!

Advertisement