Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open Day(s)

Options
  • 09-12-2006 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

What did everyone think of the open days? I was there today and was impressed with how well it was organised. I'm pretty much sold on the course now. There seemed to be a fair bit of interest in Mech Eng, wonder if the points will jump up this year?

It was fairly quiet though when I was there (made it easier to talk to the different people), there wasn't much of a buzz about the place like some of the other open days. The only thing I'm not fully convinced about is the social life, especially at weekends if loads of people go home. In Cork (and Limerick) there's always great craic. Maybe I'm only thinking like this because there were way too many women with fake tan. In fairness though, they all looked the same!

Anyway, are there any (mech) engineers who could answer two questions I forgot to ask?
    1. How are students selected for the Formula Student team?
    2. What is the likelihood of all the engineering courses being restructured to 3yrs + 2 yrs Masters because of the "Bologna Process"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Formula student projects for final year go on the results from third year. So who ever does best in their exams will have first choice of projectfor their final year project. This year their are 5 final projects on the formula student car. Their are also post grads working on the car as well. First, second and third years dont really get to do much with the car but you can always volunteer to help out.

Oh and yeah, UCD doesnt really exist at weekends. Their is absolutley nothin goin on right now except studying for exams. Some sport is on at weekends but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Hello!!
    I'm an elec engineer in second year and if your names anything to go by then I'm from Cork too!

Moving up to Dublin was seriously the best decision of my life, and I haven't met any person who's moved up from Cork that would describe it as anything less then fantastic.

You'll usually use the weekends to recover from the week (especially in 1st year if you live on campus-another thing I'd definately recommend) but if you do want fun at the weekend then make sure that you join a club as these mostly have social nights on Saturday (I'd recommend the canoe club-used to be many engineers in that) Plus engineers tend to join sports clubs so you'll meet a lot of people in your year from that

Advertisement