Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened my Magnet speed?

Options
  • 09-12-2006 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Just enquiring what could've caused my Magnet ADSL speed to fall off?

I had 2Mbit down when I signed up a few months ago, and it's gradually dissipated to 1.5Mbit.

I called them during the week to upgrade to 4Mbit. I was told the upgrade would be instantaneous, but I'm still stuck at 1.5!

They previously told me I had a "potential" bandwidth of something like 8 Mbit on that line when they tested for their entertainment/TV bundle....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

unless your line has deteriorated over time, it might be an issue to look into.

with what are you testing your speed with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭campers

JNive wrote:
    with what are you testing your speed with

I've tried a whole bunch:
    irishisptest.com - 1.5
    smarttelecom.ie - 1.6
    mumion.com - pegs me at 1.37 M/bits (Test Result)

Is there a more techy way to measure this?

Either way, it's a long way off 4 Mbits!

are you on a wireless connection or ethernet conenction to your magnet modem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

Can you try downloading a decent sized file from Microsoft.com or something and see what speed you get?
    With a 4mb line you should expect 420kb/s to 450kb/s.

I just tried those 2 speedtests you mentioned and one gave me 509kbps and the other gave me 1.4mbps.
    I have a 3mb line and I know it works fine cos I get 320kbps DL's all the time without fail, never have any latency issues etc etc.

Have you checked your modem to see what speed it says its connected at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭campers

JNive wrote:
    are you on a wireless connection or ethernet conenction to your magnet modem

Wireless to a Magnet 2wire 2700HGV....

btw: http://home goes nowhere on it... so it there any way to get line stats info from this modem?

• Advertisement

From a command prompt type "ipconfig /all".
    The default gateway is most likely the IP address of your modem/router.
    Use the ip address in IE to access the modem.

it will not be your modem since the modem is not a router/NAT, you cannot access the modem settings anyways. As for checking line stats i used my Smart ADSL2+ modem for that lol.

JNive wrote:
    it will not be your modem since the modem is not a router/NAT, you cannot access the modem settings anyways. As for checking line stats i used my Smart ADSL2+ modem for that lol.

Sorry assumed the modem they used was a router.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Advertisement