Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did your meet your current or most recent partner?

• 09-12-2006 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

I've never tried posting a poll before, so forgive me if I screw this up.
    I'm just interested to know where most people have met their partners. Being single and finding Christmas a depressing time this year, I'd like to see the results to this. I recently heard that 45% of Germans meet their partners in the workplace. Hübsches furchtsames!

If you fall into the "other" category, feel free to elaborate.

How did your meet your current or most recent partner? 290 votes

Work
    0% 0 votes
    As total strangers in a pub / club
    17% 51 votes
    Online / Personals Add / Agency / Speed Dating
    16% 47 votes
    Through mutual friends
    16% 49 votes
    At a private party
    27% 80 votes
    On public transport
    4% 13 votes
    College
    1% 4 votes
    While buying the paper in the local Spentra
    14% 42 votes
    Nightcourse
    1% 3 votes
    Other
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Secondary school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Buy and Sell Personals.:o

Boards.ie has its very own personals now under adverts.ie, OP *clicks fingers* should have tried that one too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Uh, she was my friends friend, and I met her one day... on a trip to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Farmers Journal, personals section.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Met my wife in a club, we were introduced by a mutual friend. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Karoma wrote:
    Farmers Journal, personals section.
    Magic happened when you went to Dublin on Dec 8th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I'm best friends with her son, met her through him.

sjones wrote:
    I'm best friends with her son, met her through him.
    Your own mother, for shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Met my husband while we were students, I was working in a bar that he went into to go over study material with friends.

We had big candles on all the tables & I'd pulled the short straw to scrape them clean of wax. 40mins & aching back & arms later I spotted an idiot pouring candle wax all over my clean table as an attempt to describe something to two other lads...I saw red & threw the paint-scraper at his head which lodged itself tomahawk style just left of his ear with a mighty BOOOIIINNNGGG - he left looking more than nervous. :o

Bumped into him at a party a couple of weeks later & attempted to chat him up without realising it was the same poor fella I'd nearly decapitated...he laughed, I got very embarrassed, the rest is history! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Gingerbread.

FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

My missus was a customer in the pub where I worked, she was always throwing the eye, but me being thick as a brick never copped :rolleyes: , eventually her brother get fed up with her pestering him about me and "told" me to ask her out :D , still thought it was a wind up as she was (still is) pretty tasty and I never thought I would stand a chance :o .....

14 years later, house 2 kid's......:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

met her through my brothers fiance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Through a boards beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Through a mutual friend.

Althought the first time I met her, we only exchanged hello's.
    3 months later I was picking my friend up to go to college and guess who was along for the ride? ;)

A few hours later we were "friends" too!!

Five years, a house and a trip around the world later and we are still going strong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭glitter-bug

i met my bf on the net
    i always promised myself i would never meet anyone from the net because of the stigma attached to it, but i said if he could answer a question id meet him.
    Whats the name of cletus gf in the simpsons (it was on at the time!)
    well i didnt think he would know and 4 years later we are living together and couldnt be happier! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

a friend of a friend.

met my bf on the net
    i always promised myself i would never meet anyone from the net because of the stigma attached to it, but i said if he could answer a question id meet him.
    Whats the name of cletus gf in the simpsons (it was on at the time!)
    well i didnt think he would know and 4 years later we are living together and couldnt be happier!
    He googled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I was working backstage at our school musical that she was acting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Met him in the Red Box

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Through an old friend. Known her years but was complicated (long story) but we ended up going out recently and put the complications aside. So far so good I guess! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭glitter-bug

He googled.
    i dont know bout that, he answered straight away, how was i too know he was a simpsons freak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Met him in the first week of college. We were part of a big gang of friends, and gradually found that the two of us were spending more and more time together. Finally after about a year, we kissed at my birthday party. I was worried that it could be a bit strange since we'd been such good friends, but it was perfect - and four years later, things are still incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

i dont know bout that, he answered straight away, how was i too know he was a simpsons freak!

Well if he cared enough to google to meet you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Met him through friends. Never really fancied him but used to talk to him every weekend..one night he kissed a girl, and it was then i realised that i liked him....we went from there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

His mother owned the local pub in France and introduce me as the loaded Irish girl because I spent so much money in her pub. Now I get all my drinks for free!:D :D:D But that's not the reason we stayed together! The fooker got me pregnant! :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Beruthiel wrote:
    Met him in the Red Box
    ROFFLE:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Doyles, completely randomly. Went for a walk down along the keys then walked around St. Stephens green at 3am, wasn't my idea but was very romantic(though probably not very wise) at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I purchased all of my wives from a variety of impoverished countries. Several work to support the rest, and the comely ones attend me at my leisure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Met my current lady under fireworks at the rose of tralee 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

ferdi wrote:
    ROFFLE:D

You think that's funny, I first met one of my ex-girlfriends in the downstairs (and to the left) part of Bruxelles.

(Yes she's hot and no, she wasn't a biker and doesn't weigh more than me :) )

She was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

In prision.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Myth wrote:
    She was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar.

Does she want you, baby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Spoke to him first on IRC and then met him at a pimpdaddy beers. Together a year and a half now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Boards Beers! Huzzah for boards.ie..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

You think that's funny, I first met one of my ex-girlfriends in the downstairs (and to the left) part of Bruxelles.

(Yes she's hot and no, she wasn't a biker and doesn't weigh more than me :) )

I met an ex downstairs and to the right! My god does that bring back memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

She used to work in a bowling alley.. I was bowling one day. got her number blah blah blah

I'm dating a couple of men at the mo

taking it casually and having fun!

I met them in nightclub's .....zanzibar and pal joey's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

they always seem to be friends/relatives of friends, or the occasional person i knew from school...
    i've never asked a stranger out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Met her three years ago at the first kick-boxing class in the first week of the first year of college!

She made me work for it, and for that I think we are still together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Other:

Saucy Puppet Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Other:

Saucy Puppet Show.
    is she a woodland critter?

i'm single right now. met my last girlfriend on the internet (another bulletin board) and she turned out to be a lunatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Ruu wrote:
    Boards.ie has its very own personals now under adverts.ie, OP *clicks fingers* should have tried that one too!
    I just looked at that, there is only one ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Im in the "other" category. My last girlfriend I was good friends with for 6 years before we got togehter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Through a chatroom, sort of.

He and I used to chat in the same chatroom, but we never really spoke to each other.

The chatroom in question had a drinking session in Carlow. I was there, he was there, we clicked.

4 years and 1 baby later, things are going very well indeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

At a gay friend's birthday party! We were just about the only single straight people there and we can't seem to shake each other off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Sam_irl

I know my parenter since we were in college now married at bold age of 28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

At a gay friend's birthday party. We were just about the only single straight people there and we can't seem to shake each other off.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Sam_irl

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    At a gay friend's birthday party. We were just about the only single straight people there and we can't seem to shake each other off.
    I guess you didn't expect to pull there let alone meet your partner?:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement