Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did your meet your current or most recent partner?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Met mine GF in Gran Canaria while on my Leaving Cert holiday. My mates were talking to a group of random people so I sat down on the wall beside them. I just happened to sit beside a girl and we started talking. We talked for ages and at about 7am I brought her to my apartment and made her breakfast.

Didnt think anything would happen after as I would probably never see her again but she ran into my mates the following night and asked them where I was. She eventually found me that night after looking for a while and we have been together ever since. Its only after that second night that I realised that we were staying in the same apartment block, had flown over on the same flight and were flying back on the same flight.

She was from Athlone and im from Dublin so we didnt even know if we would see each other again after the holiday but we decided to give it a go and 4 and a half years later we are still together and going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Summer of '04.
    On and off since then. He was medic at a concert I was at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

At the Grove (many moons ago!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭carpenoctem

I met my partner at the leaving party for the person I was replacing where he worked.... :D

Apparently he had been eyeing me up for the month I had worked there without me ever noticing (could have been cause I was too busy making a good impression on the people who were actually in charge, hehe), and he went to the party in the hopes of meeting me despite the fact that his at the time excessive WoW playing had kept him up for over 24 hours...

Needless to say, after a few drinks he made very little sense, and I thought he was rather weird after he in an unrelated conversation managed to stick in that he had cleaned his room and changed the sheets on his bed before going out because he felt so lucky that night... :eek: (This is something he himself does not remember, lol!)

Still, we spoke for pretty much the whole of the party and he walked me home that night (although not in the straightest line! :D), and now 5 months later I am very happy that I gave him a second chance to make a good impression that Monday morning... :)

And if you're wondering, his WoW addiction doesn't keep him up all night anymore... unless I'm there playing it together with him... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Ten years ago, he built one of the very first forum boards for Male Survivors of Abuse ( MASSF ) and I was a mod & member.
    Through that time and ever since we were very close friends, we both went through bad relationships in the meantime and got through them. Now, ten years later, we are still best friends and we are madly in love and living together.
    He traveled all the way from Texas to Dublin for me, Im a very lucky man! :):)

B

you're a GUY??????????????

I always thought you were a girl!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭fifly

Nightclub

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I met my last partner on a blind date...it was pretty good while it lasted too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Hmmm, surprised that Online Dating/Personal Ads/etc is so high...
    Would write about it more, but I've just discovered Juba on YouTube. Class.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nightwish wrote:
    whats my one then? my ginger has me!
    Or so you are leading him to believe, good job!
    Gotta give them some hope you know. Poor guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Trilla wrote:
    We..Love..You..B Man, We Do;
    We Love You B Man, We Do;
    We Love You B Man, We Do;
    Oh..B_Man We Love You.

*cough*
    I say Ive never been kissed
    *cough*

haha sure the other one was worse.
    I was hammered after an all day session and lost control of meself and literally start dry humpin her leg in the middle of the pub. I'm being serious! there was ppl lookin at me all weird and all! then I was with her best mate, and then subsequestly with HER best mate.

I dont think i've actually had a normal set up since 2001, and that lasted 4 years. ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Met herself at my cousins wedding party on the dancefloor 2 years ago and together ever since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Met her on a school trip to Strasbourg. She was on one there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Online as well. She was going out with another fella at the time, but it was long distance, and not going very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I was her boss now she is mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

boards.ie x2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Next door neighbour from age 6, now we are 36!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

:eek: Holy Crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

So. How do feel about government plans to lower the age of consent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Online, and I'm not ashamed to admit it! Turns out she just lives a 20 minute walk down the road.

6 months soon. ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

Met my last bf at secondary school. Thought he was great, turns out he was a nasty bastard...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Something gingers will never have.
    Gotta give them some hope you know. Poor guys.

Tell me about it. :o

Although, personally, I’m told it’s more likely to be linked to my perceived arrogant nature (I don’t think cupping this with my inner shyness helps) and then there’s the good old “commitment issues”. I’m also told I analyse stuff too much.

MikeHoncho wrote:
    So if Hollywood tells us anything you will meet your future partner when you return to secondary school as part of a journalism assignment

Whatever about the secondary school part… the journalism assignment excuse might be workable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

monument, don't mind that tar fucker. it is because of your arrogance. just like i'm single because i'm a complete jackass with no social skill. it has nothing to do with my gingerness.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Well I met my current partner (fiancé now) at a boards beers :)

That's why we're inviting all the admins to our wedding (well that and himself knows them all personally) :)

Not to fear ginger people both myself and himself and red heads. There's hope for you yet!

ooops too many smiley faces! what have I become??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Well, that dude has got it going on, well done Trilla!

I'd have to agree with that sentiment purely because I got matched with Mr. Vartan on the recent 'analyse your photo' thread

Very lucky fella he is too to look like me :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's it gingers, keep blaming your poor attempts at having personalities and not your soulless hair. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

at a fireworks display thru mutual friends.. talk about cheesey!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

julep wrote:
    monument, don't mind that tar fucker. it is because of your arrogance. just like i'm single because i'm a complete jackass with no social skill. it has nothing to do with my gingerness.

I don’t anything Tar says seriously.

That's it gingers, keep blaming your poor attempts at having personalities and not your soulless hair. ;)

Oh, now you’re just confusing soulless with morally loose… this is from Wikipedia, so it must be true…
    Another belief is that redheads are highly-sexed; for example, Jonathan Swift satirizes redhead stereotypes in part four of Gulliver's Travels, "A Voyage to the Country of the Houyhnhnms," when he writes that: "It is observed that the red-haired of both sexes are more libidinous and mischievous than the rest, whom yet they much exceed in strength and activity."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I met my gf on second life. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

First met him over 10 years ago walking by in college, I thought that he was cute but did not see him again for a year, I was walking by one of the college societies and he asked me to join, I said no but I remembered him as I was attracted to him. I bumped into someone else that I had also started to like around the same time who was a friend and we went on a few dates but kept on bumping into my fiancee, when the other relationship ended we started dating a few weeks later...it is a lot more complicated than that but we are getting married in less than two weeks now.

monument wrote:
    I don’t anything Tar says seriously.
    Youunderstand me better than anybody. :eek:

Oh, now you’re just confusing soulless with morally loose… this is from Wikipedia, so it must be true…
    Blow on a pane of class, look no condensation, no soul. ;)

• Advertisement

I hope all your children are ginger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Met my current squeeze in work. She's a manager.

We had our first date last night, it went very well.

And I'm seeing her again tomorrow (not in work.)

julep wrote:
    I hope all your children are ginger.
    Mysterious accident kills all Aldarion children. :(

DNA tests prove julep was the father of said aldarion/ lavigne children.

Ah, needless deaths and sex with Avril. 2007 looks a bright year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Met mine at work, she was in drinking and i was in the bar. She was very quiet and shy, so i didnt know how to say hello to her. So i chatted up her friend, and gave them a shot. She gave me her number as she left. 7 months or so later and its all good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Interesting stuff. I see not many people are meeting partners through gyms/nightclasses - the route often suggested in the Personal Issues forum. I'm surprised the total strangers in pub/club rating is so high...I don't know many people who met their partner that way.

and how about you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

allie_e17 wrote:
    Interesting stuff. I see not many people are meeting partners through gyms/nightclasses - the route often suggested in the Personal Issues forum. I'm surprised the total strangers in pub/club rating is so high...I don't know many people who met their partner that way.

good point. My money would have been on school/college/work areas more so than social activities or random pub/clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

I'm very interested in the results of this poll of mine, thank you everybody that has voted.
    "Through mutual friends" is top of the list, with 1 in 4 meeting a partner that way.
    I have to admit that I'm disappointed but not surprised that "Work" has come in second place. Not 45% like the Germans, but still high. Unheard of a couple of decades ago but I guess that's the Celtic Tiger work culture. You spend one third of your life in work, and talk to and inter-relate with your workmates more than anyone else in your life, probably. Scary but that's the way it is. Fack, I've just realised that I've met two partners thru' work!
    Not surprised that "On public transport" and "While buying the paper in the local Spentra" faired so low. Both natural environments for inter-reacting with people... but very much a strangers environment.
    "College" is big-ish, but I think that's more a reflection on the type of person that uses this site, maybe?
    "Online / Personals Add / Agency / Speed Dating" is bound to be on a par with the latter. It's inevitable that Online Dating is amongst heavy net-users. It's a bit like that internet survey that had Gillian Anderson and Teri Hatcher the two most beautiful women in the world. One's a bit heavy for me, the other a bit light, but methinks it's the X Files/Superman angle, typically popular with net-types, that got them up there.
    I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that "As total strangers in a pub / club" came so high. I've never met a partner in a pub / club, none of my friends met their partner's that way either. It's traditionally known that you 'meet people' in pubs and clubs. This is true, but you meet people you already know. It's not really the place to approach a stranger because you fancy spending much of your life with them. In fact, an approach is usually for a score/shag for there and then! But I guess I'm wrong.
    I'm very surprised that "Nightcourse" is a duck-egg. I've done a few Nightcourses, there have been women there and lots of banter. I guess that it's more of an American thing... or a 40ies thing? Indicates common interest, that's for sure. And what's the lesson there... attraction is more important that interests.

Hmmm... food for thought for this foodie.
    Yum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Gautama wrote:
    I'm very surprised that "Nightcourse" is a duck-egg. I've done a few Nightcourses, there have been women there and lots of banter. I guess that it's more of an American thing... or a 40ies thing? Indicates common interest, that's for sure. And what's the lesson there... attraction is more important that interests.

Hmmm... food for thought for this foodie.
    Yum.

I've done nightcourses and to be honest, haven't found them any good for meeting people at all. The only time the people in my class ever got talking was at the very end of one course when we went to the pub.

Most people I know met their partners through other friends. That's where I met my ex. It's very hard to get talking to someone in a pub, especially if there's loud music. There are also lots of people in pubs who get very wary if a complete stranger comes up and starts talking to them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well I met herself when I was 17 in the Gaeltacht. Turned out we only lived ten minutes down the road from each other and had mutual friends. 21 now and all's going super. At this age it's pretty easy to meet people in work but i can see how it gets harder the older you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I met her at the post office. We still have the bubble-wrap.

india102.jpg

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

At a bar in a nightclub. I was like "god you're tall", she was like "god you're tall"... Then we hit it off from there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fantastic Kaz

Got talking on a bus:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭angelicsaz

4 am on the 39N it was all very rosemantic
    'can i give u my number'
    'how bout I give you mine'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

InFront wrote:
    I met her at the post office. We still have the bubble-wrap.

india102.jpg

Haha. Nice link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭ando

met my women when i started a new job in May. she was 1 month into her 6 months work placement 3rd year in college. Within a week, we were going to lunch together... nearly 8 months going together now and loving it :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

met her through a mutual friend in Fibbers in town...i know its a dump but she is a stunner and couldnt believe my luck...so loaded in the dutch courage and danced with her. got chattign for a few days, went away together after 2 months camping, then she broke up with the boyfriend and i was in like a shot...told me she wasnt interested so i backed off and forgot bout her (while thinking bout gettin with her mate) then she stuck her gob to mine and the rest is history :) 7months now and going to andorra in jan :) nice thread OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Online... I fail at real life.
    Haven't had a relationship in a year and a half now :(

Time to start going to boards beers, it sounds like they're very successful meeting points!

Advertisement