Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Nurses

• 10-12-2006 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Is there a special selection process involved in applying for a nursing job in an Army Hospital. How would one go about applying to one like at the Curragh Camp Military base. Have been told that one cant apply there directly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

see www.military.ie I think you have to join up like everybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Steyr wrote:
    see www.military.ie I think you have to join up like everybody else.
    Note the Nurses are in a funny, non-military, non-civilian role. They have a special category under the Geneva Conventions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is Saint Bricin's Army Hospital still operating (excuse the pun)? I haven't heard anything about it in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Is Saint Bricin's Army Hospital still operating (excuse the pun)? I haven't heard anything about it in years.

Yup, it's still on the go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Military nurses are recruited from exsisting civilian nurses although it has not been done for a long time now. They are recruited the same way as the army recruits doctors and dentists. The army will not send soldiers on nursing courses (4 years) but they will train soldiers as medics, EMTs, ambulance crews, or combat medics. So if you are going to do nursing once you have qualified watch out for any recruitment ads after you have qualified and apply that way but as I said it has not been done for a long time now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Isn't the Army Nursing Service gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

testicle wrote:
    Isn't the Army Nursing Service gone?
    No, I think the strength has been maintained at 30 over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Either apply through military.ie or maybe by going to one of the barracks, and asking there. I'm sure they'd point you in the right direction (or try to recruit you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Thanks for all contributions. Reason I asked is that I was hoping someone would tell me there was new policy and things had moved on into this century.
    I am personally aware of some info regarding how the army operates and on this subject, having lived and tested most of what the army has to offer from the inside out.
    Sadly if one origionates from the soldier ranks, Irish army nursing has been a closed shop for the ordinary person regardless how highly qualified. However if daddy was/is an officer then a job was a cert.
    Behind the scene the same goes for joining the cadets in 90% of cases.
    I'm afraid that ringing the Barracks wouldn't help (Curragh has military hospital and seven Barracks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Billiejo wrote:

I don't believe this to be the case. The vast majority of the PDF officers I know, or know of, do not have officers for relatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Billiejo wrote:
    Thanks for all contributions. Reason I asked is that I was hoping someone would tell me there was new policy and things had moved on into this century.
    I am personally aware of some info regarding how the army operates and on this subject, having lived and tested most of what the army has to offer from the inside out.
    Sadly if one origionates from the soldier ranks, Irish army nursing has been a closed shop for the ordinary person regardless how highly qualified. However if daddy was/is an officer then a job was a cert.
    I'm afraid that ringing the Barracks wouldn't help (Curragh has military hospital and seven Barracks)

For someone who claims to know the army you are talking alot of rubbish. What has anyones daddy to do with getting a nursing job. No persons, officer or other ranks are selected to become nurses ,the army does not send officers on nursing courses the army advertises in the national press for nurses and other medical staff doctors, dentists pharmicists etc.. Most of the nurses in the army are older and were hired a long time ago and the ones I know certainly had no family in the army some of them have subsequently married army personnel but thats about their only relation.

With your opinion of the army why would you want to join anyway. And also you should not talk about the manning of guardrooms and switches on this forum. Mod please delete that part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Minor operational details (technically an infringement of Charter) removed at request of user.
    Please use PMs to report minor infringements. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 The thing

Joining the Army nursing service would be a waste of a career, as they basically do nothing. The Medical Corps is in a sambles below strength and equipment levels. If you really want to be a nurse do so on the outside, as I say it would be a waste of a career or else join the British or Australian Armies if you really want to be a military nurse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

How can a nurse join the army, do u not need to be a bloke to sign up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

tallaght01 wrote:
    How can a nurse join the army, do u not need to be a bloke to sign up?
    1) women can join the army!
    2) male nurses?

rugbug86 wrote:
    1) women can join the army!
    2) male nurses?

MALE nurses?? what u talkin about??

Fair play for letting women join though, I didn't know that was allowed. Are they any good with a kalashnikov?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Banditboy_irl

Jeeezzz ... Go back to that cave you've just come out of mate!!

Talk about living in the dark ages .... :p

Jeeezzz ... Go back to that cave you've just come out of mate!!

Talk about living in the dark ages .... :p

U obviously misunderstood me, bandit. I wasn't saying girls shouldnt be alowed work or whatever. I was just pointing out the problem with having nurses in the army. See I thought u had to be a bloke to join the army, so didnt know how they could therefore recruit nurses. I thought it would be just run by doctors and, say, physios. Anyway, girls are actually allowed join the army apparently. I wouldn't like to be sent out on a patrol in Baghdad with like 5 birds though, but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

tallaght01 wrote:
    U obviously misunderstood me, bandit. I wasn't saying girls shouldnt be alowed work or whatever. I was just pointing out the problem with having nurses in the army. See I thought u had to be a bloke to join the army, so didnt know how they could therefore recruit nurses. I thought it would be just run by doctors and, say, physios. Anyway, girls are actually allowed join the army apparently. I wouldn't like to be sent out on a patrol in Baghdad with like 5 birds though, but thats just me.

If you are in the Irish army, you won’t have to worry about going on patrol with birds, in Baghdad, or any other dangerous place. Its something to do with a quaint Irish custom called a treble lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I have to say well done to the idiot who questioned the concept of a male nurse.

• Advertisement

Please ladies and gentlemen, attack the post not the poster.
    Let's keep the name calling to an absolute minimum.

If you are in the Irish army, you won’t have to worry about going on patrol with birds, in Baghdad, or any other dangerous place. Its something to do with a quaint Irish custom called a treble lock.

I'll tell you what though, I've a treble lock on the door of my flat, but it doesn't keep the birds out, what? ;)

So do we not have actual troops in Baghdad? Or Iraq at all? Coz from what I remeber there were loadsa ppl out protesting in O connell st about goin to war over there.

And who's that bloke callin me an idiot?I was only making the obvious point. He;s entitled to his opinion about me I supose but it's a bit gay comin on the intranet slagging me off. I'm not violent or anything but I suppose he wouldn't say it to my face. I would never say anything to anybody on here that I wouldn't say tot heir face. Sorry for sounding all "moral", but whatever you think about my other points, I think I'm right about this one.

This is going nowhere. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement