Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice / Comments on new build

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The Sony DVDRW I would swap with a NEC or Samsung unless you want it for aesthetic reasons if so then stick with as it's a minor component.

The Samsung HD's are nice very good performers but not the absolute fastest of the bunch however they do tend to be a bit quieter than their competitors. If your after something a little faster a Western Digital SE16 is a good pick.

DDR-2 800 is a waste so few applications benefit from it that it is not worth the extra cost just get 2GB of cheaper DDR-2 533 or 667.

Everything else looks nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Thanks for that, one other question. Is the GTX version of the graphics card worth the extra cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

really depends what size lcd you are playing on and if you want everthing up to max and all the other stuf turned on the gtx will be able to handel it but so would the gts but the gtx would be able to give better performence on higher reses.

awhir wrote:
    really depends what size lcd you are playing on and if you want everthing up to max and all the other stuf turned on the gtx will be able to handel it but so would the gts but the gtx would be able to give better performence on higher reses.

I'll be keeping my current 19" LCD as it's quite a good monitor IMO

Whats the max res of the display though ?

For instance at 1280x1024 with details at the max with 4xAA/16xAF enabled the GTS and GTX are roughly the same but the GTX pulls away the higher you go in resolution.

• Advertisement

Yeah, max resolution is 1280 x 1024 / 75 Hz

Stick with the GTS then.

Advertisement