Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband and pc anywhere

Options
  • 10-12-2006 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

broadband installed on 2 homes

want have remote access between the 2 houses

have pc anywhere installed

how to i go about setting it up or is this possible at all??

thanks

p.s. eircom broadband

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you must open port 5631 in to the machine running pc anywhere host , see www.portforward.com for the hows on your adsl modem/router, set the security on the host too so that the connections are encrypted and that a login is required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

thanks sponge bob

have you ever done this before?

would you recommend a firewall?

whooooooaaa :eek: you MUST have a firewall even if only the windows xp built in one . What adsl router do you have ?

its a netopia firewall, both are the same type.

have the ports opened up now

on pc anywhere have the tcp/ip connection ticked and launched

the port must forward from the router to the inside IP of the pc running the host as well as being open

• Advertisement

can i ask how do i do that?

on pc anywhere machine

start > run > cmd

type the command

ipconfig

this gives you the address like 192.168.1.101

enter that ip on the netopia so that traffic hitting your public ip port 5631 or 5632 is routed in to the machine that has pc anywhere running

with ya now
    cheers sponge bob

where did u learn all about this can iask ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

He invented it in 1974 in USA DOD.
    Then refined it in Xerox 74 to 76.

You can get books on this, or do a Microsoft course (not great) or a Cisco course (better).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Pc Anywhere is a dog. I use www.logmein.com and you can access your pc from anywhere. Much more efficient and sending updates than PCA.

Plus I always recommend changing the port from the defaults of 5631 and 5632 as these ports are a common point of hacker attack. Set your outgoing port to something like 45631 and port forward from 45631 on the router incoming to 5631 on the terminating PC.

• Advertisement

VNC and Remote Desktop are other alternatives to Pc Anywhere and jimmys advice is good because the scum does not normally scan 'up there' in the 40'000' s

Remote desktop listens on 3389 but set a good windows username and password and do not use administrator
    VNC listens on 5500 5800 and 5900 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Setting very long random passwords and permitted IPs is a good idea. VNC works on lots of different platforms, not just windows. I prefer it to "Remote Destop" but you MUST setup the security.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I used to love VNC variants but now they pale in comparison with LogMeIn. Incidentally Logmein can be accessed from anywhere and doesn't have problems with full screen Dos applications if you have any.

For file transfer between them I'd suggest www.foldershare.com.

i still have bother with the dial in

does anyone do some work that i could pay yee to sort out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

coolio_64 wrote:
    i still have bother with the dial in

does anyone do some work that i could pay yee to sort out
    well ive a ccna(cisco qualifcation) which makes me more then qualified, but i dont think i can spare any time at the mo...

p.s. netopia are well known to be bad routers... chances are something isnt right there..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Logmein is a better option because your IP address on the BB will change on both ends. And if you do not know how to do a port forward etc and set up security then you will run into a lot of trouble. The only way to get around the changing IP would be to use a dynamicDNS service but both routers would have to support it, or just one if you plan on only controling one PC.
    coolio spongebob knows becuase he either works in IT or has spent a long time working with computers because he is a nerd :D no offense.. spongebob... im a nerd too and i work in IT so its a compliment :D

So anyway coolio... just use logmein.com as its free and it works and requires little more than to install it on both PC's

Oh and hobochris... CCNA?? That makes you way over qualified for this :D fair play to you... im too lazy to even do an MCSE :D Even though i will get more money for doing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Saruman wrote:
    Oh and hobochris... CCNA?? That makes you way over qualified for this :D fair play to you... im too lazy to even do an MCSE :D Even though i will get more money for doing it...
    yeah, i wouldnt be a fan of the MCSE purely for the reason that im not a big fan of Microsoft.. i only use there products when i have to..

hopefully i can get some money together and sit my ccnp and then maybe even my CCIE even though ive not that much money to risk at the moment...

Advertisement