Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why are VW dealers so rude?

Options
  • 10-12-2006 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I've never owned a VW but have experienced it when shopping around for a new car. From anecdotal evidence and reading the experiences of other boardsters it seems I am not alone.

My question is WHY?? Why are most so similar? Is it something to do with the sales training Irish VW staff are sent on? Or is it because they are frequently twinned with Audi/VW marques - and would rather be dealing with bigger commissions(!)

Toyota are just as successful in this country - if not more so. Why do their dealers not have a similar reputation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Maybe they believe their own propaganda :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yes I have experienced major rudeness from VW dealers.

As regards Toyota vs VW - Toyotas do not have a trendy image whereas VWs somehow do. The type of person who buys a new Toyota is very often conservative, middle aged and looking for a no-nonsense relaible car. Older conservative types like these are likely to take a very dim view of rudeness. Toyota know their target audience and how to appeal to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Maybe it’s because they are all svinehunds from ze fatherland here to promote the glorious Arian race and to crush those who are not of noble Teutonic birth – Javohl mine General!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

pburns wrote:
    I've never owned a VW but have experienced it when shopping around for a new car. From anecdotal evidence and reading the experiences of other boardsters it seems I am not alone.

My question is WHY?? Why are most so similar? Is it something to do with the sales training Irish VW staff are sent on? Or is it because they are frequently twinned with Audi/VW marques - and would rather be dealing with bigger commissions(!)

Toyota are just as successful in this country - if not more so. Why do their dealers not have a similar reputation?

I think VW dealers like to let you think that they are selling you a superior quality product and that your status in society has just moved up a knotch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I had an awful experience with MSL Service Centre on pottery Road last year.

Grange Motors are very helpful themselves, as are Ballsbridge when I called in to them once or twice. The service centre are a law unto themselves apparently.

I will be going to Jet Star the next time my service is due. They seem to come recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

h2s wrote:
    Maybe it’s because they are all svinehunds from ze fatherland here to promote the glorious Arian race and to crush those who are not of noble Teutonic birth – Javohl mine General!!!

There's no need for this kind of ignorant rubbish.:mad:

Others have been banned for less, what are the mods doing here???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

There's no need for this kind of ignorant rubbish.:mad:

Others have been banned for less, what are the mods doing here???

Jaysus, take a joke man, will ya?
    As for the mods; sure aren't they nazis* as well? :p

*Not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Wertz wrote:
    Jaysus, take a joke man, will ya?
    As for the mods; sure aren't they nazis* as well? :p

*Not really.
    It's extremely poor joke, would have to agree with Sonnenblumen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

So, making bad jokes is a bannable offence now?
    This place is going to be very quiet if that's the case...

The above could be construed as "racist" or somesuch if you wanted to be truly anal about it, but take it in context and either chuckle at it, yawn at it or simply ignore it...

Sorry for OT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Less of the Nazi remarks please.

Irish VW staff "choose" to be rude, nothing to do with the mark itself or its origens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I had a tst drive with a girl in Belgard motors. I found her to be very friendly and helpful. Answered all of my questions and didn't rush me back to the garage on the test run. Any dealings I had with the service dept in same garage I found all of the staff there pretty good.

Although I was in another VW dealership and found them terrible.

I'm currently driving a Renault and have been in three Renault garages and found every single one of them to have the worst customer service ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Have no vested interest, but must counter the sweeping statement of the post a bit. Have had two VWs from new and have had no experience of rudeness. Nothing outstandingly positive to report either, but certainly would have no reason to be dissatisfied their customer service. Experience of one main dealer only tho, one swallow doesnt make a summer.

How many dealers has the op sampled to reach the conclusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

there trying to sell people a VW wouldnt you be mad :) maybe the merc dealership turned down there job application.
    *VW reliable cars despite what my post emplies.lots of eletrical problems tho easy fixed most of time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

VW Dealers in general are not the most friendly or helpful. But not all, Newcastlewest Autos in Limerick are just brilliant and Newmarket Motors in Cork are quite good too. But Frank Hogans in Limerick are so bad followed in close second by Western Motors in Galway.

In Dublin, Annesley Motors and Foster Motors are about the best. All the MSL garages are just dire - including Turners Cross in Cork. Mostly I use Belgard Motors and in the beginning they were desperate but lately they have been improving - but they've still a long way to go to catch up on Newcastlewest Autos.

BTW, my opinions are based from an After Sales perspective - not sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I used to work in a Dublin VW dealer and all the lads seemed decent enough. In the used section they lost a few people since I left and it was a bit before that I worked with new cars, things could've changed

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I find staff in most dealers to be rude, not just VW staff!

Oh and any more Nazi stuff and there will be a permanent ban applied!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I've been to Western Motors in Galway, and Michael Moore in Athlone.

Never again though. Woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Geek Nose

pburns wrote:

Because they think they're doing YOU the favour, by letting you buy one of their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Onkle51 wrote:
    I had a tst drive with a girl in Belgard motors.

Nice one any pics;) ;);)

Sorry back OT.

I had dealings in the past with Ballsbridge motors with 2 troublesome cars and I have to say the guy I dealt with stood behind the cars all the way. He even thanked me very sincerly (IMO) after I purchased the second car after the trouble I had with the first one.

I've been to a few other VW garages and I have to say they were very helpful and friendly, never any attitude from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Stky10 wrote:

Second that wrt Athlone. If they think you are buying a 50k+ car, they'll kiss your ass. Otherwise forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I have purchased 2 VW's from 2 different dealers.
    1st in Bradys in Castleknock - Good Experience
    2nd in Newmarketmotors in Cork - Good Experience.

Went to Newmarket for 2nd one purely because he was giving me a better trade in.
    I haven't had any probelms with either car since I purchased so I suppose I can't really comment on the service, as thats when you find out how good your dealer really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

I went to the dealer in Airside with a view to buying a new golf gti. I had the money and was ready to deal. The sales guy wasnt too interested and would only let me sit in the demo they had and to top it off he said he would call me with a trade in price asap, needless to say he never bothered to call me.
    Sure whats a mere 35 grand! 2 weeks later i bought a new Octavia vRS and 4months later i havent looked back. I suppose in fairness there are a lot of dealers out there like this but i expect more from VW and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Turners Cross Cork after sales service is very bad, from personal experience (it’s been about 2 years since ive been in there, so maybe it’s changed now)

To be honest, if there's less competition in an area with similar dealer, the service is worse IMO.

BMW silversprings it another garage which DID come under this category, to be honest I had a few dealings with them over the last year and they’ve improved there aftersales. Might be something to do with another new BMW dealership which has opened in Cork City in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

kbannon wrote:
    Oh and any more Nazi stuff and there will be a permanent ban applied!

Excuse me but what?!?

Quick! Call the PC police!!!!!

To be honest I was personally more disturbed by the sanctimoneous twaddle spout by the 2 complainants. Jonathan Ross has torn the absolute p*ss out of the Irish in his last two shows (interviewing Dylan Moran & Dara O'Brion respectively). Was I offended - eh...NO!!

I suggest anyone offended by the German gag get a sense of humour transplant.

Do I get banned for expressing such an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I've heard a few stories about western motors as well, from customers and staff and none of them are good. Not to say that vw are the only culprits though..................

Maybe the reason that toyota dealers are so friendly to customers is that they are not worried that their cars will be coming back because of some fault with it, which means less stressful jobs, and in turn a more relaxed work environment which enables the employees to address the customer with more civility!

A lot of the bigger dealerships (in my area anyway) pay very poor wages - maybe it's just the salesman/service manager venting his frustration on you!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

pburns wrote:
    Do I get banned for expressing such an opinion?
    Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

One time I did find some vw salesmen were standing around like s.s. guards, constantly walking around me, asking me loads of questions and they didnt want to go out in the rain to give me a quote on my old car.:( They would also hand you a brochure where they basically scribbled prices on pages and nearly every car in the brochure was a German spec car. Usually the caption read something like The New Passat VR6, not for sale in Ireland :mad: Now that was nearly ten years ago so things must obviously have changed. The showrooms have got larger now and one showroom now has a fountain which I think is rather excessive. Now i know why so called labour costs are so exorborant.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Newmarket more or less told my grandfather he was imagining things when he brought the Passat TDI back for the second time with its cutting out issue.

Didn't manage to solve the problem either. :(

Methinks Junkyard is right about those bloody VWs...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TontoMurphy

Called into McAliaster VW in Swords this morning with big air flow filter problem on 05 Golf and all the service guy could tell me was that all the service staff were off for 3 days and noone could help me. When i bought the car, the sales guys were extremely helpful (honestly, no sarcasm there) and did everything they could for me. But their after sales services leave a lot to be desired.

Called them last week for a service but said it'll be at leat 4-5 weeks before they can fit me in. Called P&R in Newry and they couldn't be more helpful. car booked in for this thurs, no problems at all. Incidentally, after the incident this morning, i took the car straight to P & R and can leave it with them until Thurs but they siad it'll probably be ready by then anyhow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Stky10 wrote:

yes michael moores never again
    went in there a while back looking to trade up to an audi a4 they looked at me like i couldnt afford it and quoted me an astronomical price but was able to knock 2000 off when i rang him and told him i had got a cheaper price elsewhere i said to myself you can piss off now
    i think they probably get alot of dreamers coming in looking at big expensive cars and are fed up of it i dont know.

Advertisement