Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance - change of address

Options
  • 10-12-2006 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Moving to Dublin in January from Carlow. Car is insured for address in Carlow. If I change the addresss to Dublin will it cause an increase in premium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yes. Mine went up when moving into Cork city from the county, over €100/yr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Balls. Im due to renew in Feb so that will prob obliterate any savings Ive made this past year on my premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is 'Dublin' just Dublin or do rates vary depending which post code/suburb you'er in?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

mike65 wrote:
    Is 'Dublin' just Dublin or do rates vary depending which post code/suburb you'er in?

Mike.

Yeah actually, good point. I may be moving to one of the more notorious areas!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I moved from Laois to Dublin last year. There was no increase in my insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I recently moved to Dublin from Cork, and must get around to changing the address. I also want to register the car as being used for work-related purposes as I might occasionally need to drive it for work, and therefore claim mileage expenses. Does anyone know if this can affect your premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

There are several classes of business - when I was getting mine, I had to pass over the option for up to 1000 miles / year with no carriage of goods, as I expected to travel more than that, sometimes with carriage of machine parts. Its not so bad though if you're going to be doing regular trips and getting a decent mileage rate. If you're likely to only do an odd trip every now and then you should consider getting your employer to pay the premium up front and paying a (possibly reduced) mileage rate after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Good question Mike... Unfortunately Dublin is not just Dublin in insurance terms.
    I'm not going to go give examples for fear of offending any other members unintentionally but I've been 'victim' of this in the past when I moved house.

Also worth noting that an address in Kildare within 30KM's (approx) of Dublin is also treated differently in comparison to further 'out' parts of Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

kikel wrote:
    I moved from Laois to Dublin last year. There was no increase in my insurance
    That happens when you get 2 huge prisons in the county. We are simply an outpost of Dublin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mike65 wrote:
    ciarsd wrote:
    Also worth noting that an address in Kildare within 30KM's (approx) of Dublin is also treated differently in comparison to further 'out' parts of Kildare.
    Insurance companys have it nailed down to particular areas e.g. towns or localities.
    I can't get home insurance from some companys because I live in Leixlip because houses flooded there a few years back (even though I live 50m above the level of the liffey!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

One insurance company I was dealing with said the quote is based on where you work. Don't know why when I asked why she just said that's the way it is

Don't think it's that simple. If it was based on work location I would be paying far far less than what I am paying now.

insurance companys will want to know what you work at (e.g. barmen or teacher) and also how far you travel to work as the further you travel then the more you use your car.
    In theory someone commuting from Cavan to Dublin daily is a higher risk than someone working in the same area as where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

dudara wrote:
    I also want to register the car as being used for work-related purposes as I might occasionally need to drive it for work, and therefore claim mileage expenses. Does anyone know if this can affect your premium?

1A is private, social & Domestic

1B Light business use, i.e light travel not carrying anything except a laptop or something and costs nothing extra extra.

1c is for publicans or shop owners, 20% loading

Class 2 anything over 5000/6000 miles, typcally getting paid milage, 30% loading

Class 3, Sales reps, and very high business milage, 60% loading

I have never been asked how far I travel to work.

Its becoming more and more common. Many of their online forms ask it in some shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

Bond-007 wrote:
    I have never been asked how far I travel to work.

If you ask for Business cover, you will be asked for your more details about your occupation and you annual business milage.

Advertisement