Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game's return policy

Options
  • 10-12-2006 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I bought a 360 game in Game last week, and it's not to my liking, so last Friday, I finally got the chance to get into town to return it, only to be told that because it had been opened, my own chance was to trade it in (and get half the price I paid for it on trade-in). Of course it was opened, how am I supposed to know if I like it without playing it?

I could understand if it was a PC game or a classic XBox game, something that could be copied, but a 360 game? Is this just the way things are? Is it not affecting my statutory rights? I'm pretty p*ssed off about it, and probably won't buy from Game in future, but would like to know if there's anything I can do about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you can only get a refund if something is faulty or defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's entirely up to them whether they want to take it back or not. The law doesnt allow you to change your mind and decide you dont want something anymore.

You can see their point tho. If they had given you a game in the first place that had been returend by someone else opened, would you be happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

i dont understand why people think they are entitled to get a refund on a game that they dont like

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

^^^ What he said.

You bought it. Why should they have to take it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

What about that old chestnut, "buyer's remorse"? It's not as if I cleared the game or something and then tried to return it for my full money back. If I buy a jumper and it doesn't suit, I can return it. The same with almost anything these days, why should a game be any different?

I know there's an issue with having to sell on a game that's already been opened, and that did occur to me before I went in, as I did wonder if they'd have to send it back to their distributor for it to be repackaged or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

They dont have to but they do normelly take games back if you return within a certain amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

corblimey wrote:
    What about that old chestnut, "buyer's remorse"? It's not as if I cleared the game or something and then tried to return it for my full money back. If I buy a jumper and it doesn't suit, I can return it. The same with almost anything these days, why should a game be any different?

I know there's an issue with having to sell on a game that's already been opened, and that did occur to me before I went in, as I did wonder if they'd have to send it back to their distributor for it to be repackaged or something.

You do realise how ridiculous you sound?I'm 15 and even I can see the logic in not being allowed to return a game simply 'cos you 'don't like it'. It's no-ones fault but you're own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Maybe next time read a handful of reviews before buying to get the idea to see if you will like it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

GameStop have a seven-day money back guarantee, dont Game have the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

game had a ten day returns policy but it was being raped by people who just used the shop as a rental store.

its 28 days now but the item must be sealed.

• Advertisement

corblimey wrote:
    If I buy a jumper and it doesn't suit, I can return it. The same with almost anything these days, why should a game be any different?

Not if the sop dont want to take it back you cant. It's up to them, most are just obliging for the sake of good customer serviice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

evad_lhorg wrote:
    game had a ten day returns policy but it was being raped by people who just used the shop as a rental store.

its 28 days now but the item must be sealed.
    Ah, that might be it. I have a vague recollection of being told I could bring back a DS game I bought some time ago. I didn't, because I enjoyed the game, but I figured the policy would be the same. If they've changed it because people were abusing it, then fair enough. It sucks for me, but there you go.
    Sweet wrote:
    You do realise how ridiculous you sound?I'm 15 and even I can see the logic in not being allowed to return a game simply 'cos you 'don't like it'. It's no-ones fault but you're own.
    Not sure what being 15 has to do with anything, but it must be nice to be Sweet and never make a mistake. You da man.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you could claim the game doesn't work :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

corblimey wrote:
    Not sure what being 15 has to do with anything, but it must be nice to be Sweet and never make a mistake. You da man.

No need to get petty with him/her; shops are only legally obliged to exchange a faulty item (assuming the item was faulty when sold)... money back guarantees are additional extras some shops throw on to be extra nice, but in some cases it's abused.
    That's why clothes shops generally don't give refunds (because some people buy a top, wear it out and bring it back), and now game shops don't either (because there are few games that can't be finished within 10 days by someone who puts any effort into it).

It's a shame that some people can't be trusted in their honesty and they ruin things for people who genuinely didn't like the game, but it's not the shop's fault and it's not their problem that you now have "buyers remorse".
    you could claim the game doesn't work :D

:D
    The amount of times people tried that when I worked there (as you couldn't get refunds on just PC games at the time)
    They'd basically say the game didn't work, but rather than have to try another copy of the game (that may also be "faulty") they'd much rather try a different game altogether...

Needless to say, if it's faulty, you get another copy of it, if it's not, you get told "sorry, no can do"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

flogen wrote:

Needless to say, if it's faulty, you get another copy of it, if it's not, you get told "sorry, no can do"

don't you then have a sealed copy???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

strange i remember i bought pikmin for the gamecube a few years back played it completed it in like 5days returened it and got a full refund

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yup, then you bring it back to a different store person. :)

1huge1 wrote:
    strange i remember i bought pikmin for the gamecube a few years back played it completed it in like 5days returened it and got a full refund

Which is exactly why the policy was changed.

:D
    If you're very lucky, yes... but in order to do a refund, they'll need your receipt anyway... and the receipt will show "Refund: Faulty" on Game XYZ and an exchange for the same game again :D

There are fewer ways to screw the system now... when I worked there, there were two kids who would get PS2 games, play them within 10 days and exchange them for something else. They'd do this game after game until one day the manager told them they couldn't exchange the games anymore as they were abusing the system. Their father, in front of the manager, told them in future to get a refund and then buy a game separately with the money, thus ensuring they had a "clean" receipt each time... so it was pretty hard to track and they got away with it.
    They're the kind of people that led to this change of policy, and for the record they weren't scumbags or anything like that, they were actually quite posh, seemingly well-off people (and their father claimed to be a solicitor too, and tried to say it was illegal for the shop to refuse to exchange a game)

Why not bring in the original receipt? Tell them you want to keep it for 'tax' reasons. :P
    Hey, presto, refund city!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

corblimey wrote:
    Not sure what being 15 has to do with anything,

Contrary to popular belief,many boardsies confuse teenagers like myself with intellectually challenged retards.
    corblimey wrote:
    but it must be nice to be Sweet and never make a mistake. You da man.

It really is. I really am....Just yankin' ya!

Why not bring in the original receipt? Tell them you want to keep it for 'tax' reasons. :P
    Hey, presto, refund city!

They take the original receipt when they exchange the game... there's no reason why you'd need to hold onto it (as the exchange receipt also shows any purchase you've made).

Trust me, a company like Game does everything it can to stop a loss of income and that's sometimes a policy change that's not in the best interest of the customer... but that's business for you.

Ah, yeah, I know they do, but you can try to confuse the guy into letting you keep the receipt.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Stekelly wrote:
    Not if the sop dont want to take it back you cant. It's up to them, most are just obliging for the sake of good customer serviice.

END OF STORY...
    You have no grounds for redress if…
    • You made a mistake when buying the item (for example, if you bought an item of clothing thinking it was black when it is actually navy)
    • You change your mind

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/consumer_affairs/consumer_rights_and_protection/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

lol at this thread, but this was my favourite moment...
    corblimey wrote:
    how am I supposed to know if I like it without playing it?

Erm, heard of demos? Heard of the rental system? Heard of reviews in magazines and across the interweb? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How can GAME say that the game must still be sealed though? The vast majority of their games are never sealed when you buy them new.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If a game isn't sold in the original sealed packaging we put a seal on the side, which must be intact for refund/exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

How can GAME say that the game must still be sealed though? The vast majority of their games are never sealed when you buy them new.

Erm, just no. Unless you mean second hand. And if you read the first post, it is concerning the XBox 360, which are sealed with the Microsoft security thingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, where there's a will there's a way. It's like piracy. Someone will find a loophole sooner or later. I myself have the perfect method that is completely untraceable. I won't give it away, but I will say it involves some petrol, some matches and a small monkey! And the games are as good as mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

DarthWraak wrote:
    Erm, just no. Unless you mean second hand. And if you read the first post, it is concerning the XBox 360, which are sealed with the Microsoft security thingus.

I don't mean second hand. The vast majority of Game's 'new' games never reach the consumer sealed. You take the empty box to the country, they take a disc and manual out of a drawer and that's your lot.

Advertisement