Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning criteria?

Options
  • 10-12-2006 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

I just wanted to ask is banning because your opinion conflicts with the catagory substantial enough to contitute a banning?
    Eg. I gave my opinions in Atheist discussion on the issue of an Atheist novelist and supporter and used examples to portray my opinion on the matter yet I got banned by the moderator. By no means am I trying to stir trouble I just think that bannings are taken too seriously. I had views I would have liked to air yet I got banned. In future I won't give my opinion in a way where I can express 100% my feelings. It appears that with some threads you cannot express your opinion as strong as you feel about the subject without being used as an excuse for banning without prior warning. I just wish there was a public boards that didn't have such rule that was as popular as boards!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Did you read the charter? Post up the link to the thread in question. Since you can't see it, try going through http://jumanji.boards.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Did you take it up with the moderator of the forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Myth wrote:
    Did you read the charter? Post up the link to the thread in question. Since you can't see it, try going through http://jumanji.boards.ie/
    Thanks for the link it was handy. Yes I read the charter, after :( I didn't really want to read it initially when I was just interested in airing my harmless opinion.
    here's the link:
    http://jumanji.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52474251#post52474251
    I didn't IM the moderator as he didn't IM me and forgot his username plus I don't use PM that often so wasn't confident sending first IM to him on though he wouldn't receive it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

He really doesn't need to take it up with the moderator.

A few choice phrases from his incredibly trolly posts on the Atheism forum:
    English people don't tend to be as warm hearted as the Irish so that's why there were many reactions from the audience you "humans" would classify as silly.
    I don't agree with your disgusting view on what should be accepted.
    The last thing I would advise anyone to do is listen to an English man on this.
    And first of all, from judging the posters who are atheist here, you seem to be a lot less "fun" and "imaginative" than the general poster on this boards.
    You are a bunch of cynics. Let me guess the typical boards Atheist profile: middle aged, lonely, not and never was attractive, average or above average intelligence, little respect for people in general, angry at their society being happy.

He has been consistently insulting to all members of the forum as far as I can see, when they have been nothing but reasonable.

He's just a hatemonger. Wouldn't know a reasonable discussion if it slapped him in the face.

CuLT wrote:
    He really doesn't need to take it up with the moderator.

A few choice phrases from his incredibly trolly posts on the Atheism forum:

He has been consistently insulting to all members of the forum as far as I can see, when they have been nothing but reasonable.

He's just a hatemonger. Wouldn't know a reasonable discussion if it slapped him in the face.

I was giving them their point of view from the way I interpreted it. They made references to people with faith as "silly" and on the late late show audience members with faith as silly. I didn't expect a reasonable argument from them
    My opinion is that they are clinical, cold people. Who would preach there was no God or afterlife to someone who was dying who's last hope was their faith? What example and reaction does that provoke?
    Generalisations are not always right yet not always wrong, just like Irish people all have habit of saying "howya gettin on". Not everyone says it yet a lot do right?
    Discussions that were prompted by the Atheist forum refused to accept that science doesn't know everything, yet they deny the existence of the uknown and I was simply stating I accept the possibility of the unknown and didn't deny or accept anything yet I accept people have right to have their faith respected and it's not right for those who don't believe to shout at people with faith they are deluded. Miracle on 34th street is a good film to watch, we know santa doesn't exist but for a childs sake get in the spirit, its our culture based on religion just like we borrowed our words like liason and creme de la creme from french, doesn't mean we speak french though.
    English have been less religious than Ireland and Irish are listening to an English man. Why not get an Irish Atheist to speak. Or a German or American? Or Swedish? Why do we rely so much on next door to dictate our topics so much.

PS In a changing society Atheist discussions being televised are going to destroy some peoples optimism about Christmas. People believe in faith and it's helped their lives so much its unaccountable! How dare people who accept science explains everthing(yet doesn't know everything) as opposed to faith and religion which may be scientific in nature that's beyound the "average" scientists gifted train of though or abstract ability. How dare the Atheist forum mock the girl who said faith helped her find will as being silly! How dare they, a lot of people believe in faith as it's a companion! These are my views. I can;t post them because the people who have classified the late late show audience as silly don't agree that my generalisations are not on the same wavelenght as their generalisations. what side of the bush you are on determines a banning. Society can forget religion and culture, but never bias and discrimination whether its' race beliefs sexuality or otherwise. Unconstitutional bannings are not necessarily bad, just result of bias in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

lazylad wrote:
    My opinion is that they are clinical, cold people.

And my opinion is that the forum is better off without you.

lazylad wrote:
    Your tarring of all posters in the forum and your "disdane" (to put it lightly) for the English is not a reasonable "opinion" to put across.

I am not going to have a discussion with you on the merits of atheism in the boards.ie Feedback section. If the moderators of that forum ever see fit to allow you back into, it might happen, but I doubt we'd ever see eye-to-eye thanks to several fundamental differences in our view on the world.

I would like to add for anyone reading that I do not take part in discussions on the Atheism forum, I just got up to speed with some recent threads after this thread was posted.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

lazylad wrote:
    How dare the Atheist forum mock the girl who said faith helped her find will as being silly! How dare they, a lot of people believe in faith as it's a companion!
    You don't want them to post their views.
    These are my views. I can;t post them
    But you want to be able to post your views.
    Unconstitutional bannings are not necessarily bad, just result of bias in power.
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no constitutional right to protect you from a ban.

There is no bias in power. There are rules that you broke, and in the moderator's limited discretion as to how to deal with that, he banned you. Oh, and "lazylad, you're cruising for a banning" is a warning to my mind.

You don't want them to post their views.

But you want to be able to post your views.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no constitutional right to protect you from a ban.

There is no bias in power. There are rules that you broke, and in the moderator's limited discretion as to how to deal with that, he banned you. Oh, and "lazylad, you're cruising for a banning" is a warning to my mind.
    Well that's your opinion. I don't mind them posting their views but the whole idea of people with faith as being silly is innapropriate and I reacted with numerous posts to defend those with little or nothing left to live for but faith. your wonderful optimish about "bale bale bale" is just your arrogant attiutde and pride about yourself. you are inflicting your views on every other silly person so there will never be anything in the atheist forum only bitter old farts and young to be bitter old farts. Goodluck.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    And my opinion is that the forum is better off without you.
    BBC worlds sports personality of the year? you sound like a great guy, when you die ur f(ck all. the worms eat us when we die and our wifes want to screw othe men. nice isn't it. we dont necessarily need respect when we are dead.

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote:
    Your tarring of all posters in the forum and your "disdane" (to put it lightly) for the English is not a reasonable "opinion" to put across.

I am not going to have a discussion with you on the merits of atheism in the boards.ie Feedback section. If the moderators of that forum ever see fit to allow you back into, it might happen, but I doubt we'd ever see eye-to-eye thanks to several fundamental differences in our view on the world.

I would like to add for anyone reading that I do not take part in discussions on the Atheism forum, I just got up to speed with some recent threads after this thread was posted.
    English people used to charge extra rent for an Irish person to have a window in their house when they ruled years ago, that's a fact. Irish weren't allowed to have chimneys in their houses either so many died from smoke inhalation. English nowadays are being looked up to by people who think they are great. Have some pride in our individuality before praising a man who could possibly look down on you anyway.:)

lazylad wrote:
    BBC worlds sports personality of the year?

Good to see you can read... It says "Wales". Clown.

Someone give this xenophobe a site-ban, please!

lazylad wrote:
    English people used to charge extra rent for an Irish person to have a window in their house when they ruled years ago, that's a fact. Irish weren't allowed to have chimneys in their houses either so many died from smoke inhalation. English nowadays are being looked up to by people who think they are great. Have some pride in our individuality before praising a man who could possibly look down on you anyway.:)
    Welcome to the 21st century.

In todays lesson, we learn how blaming the modern populace of a country for crimes committed over a century ago that have nothing to do with them is a small-minded, bigoted viewpoint.

I am a citizen of the world, I have no need of a parochial mindset to give me comfort.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

upthere, I knew you'd be back. To think you'd go and post in the same thread that was part of the reason you got banned in the first place! Pfft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Classic! Is it really upthere?

6th wrote:
    Classic! Is it really upthere?
    Reckon it must have been if he got a site-ban! Keep an eye on any "newcomers" to that thread now! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

lazylad wrote:
    I had views I would have liked to air yet I got banned.

I imagine you were banned for repeatable posting insulting and degroatory (never mind incorrect) comments about atheists, stating that atheists are immoral and don't care about anyone amoung other things.

Despite the fact that this is rude and insulting it is also completely wrong. This fact was pointed out to you a few times and you ignored it. You obviously hate atheism, that is fair enough, but if you continue to post your ignorant ridiculous posts in the atheism forum you will get banned, just as posting that all Muslims are terrorists in the Islamic forum will get you banned, or posting that all Christians like to rape their wives will get you banned in the Christian forum.

I suggest you take some time to read the posts about atheism and morality to eductate your ignorant misguided ways about how athiests actually view morality, ethics and the law.

And I would also warn you that if the only reason you don't do immoral, unethical, illegal things to your fellow man is because you are scared that your sky god will punish you, you have a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Yes, this was really upthere. Even if it wasn't, if I ever see the phrase "Unconstitutional bannings" being used again apparently in earnest I am probably going to interpret it as indicating the poster is a troll and ban accordingly (obviously this policy will change should we ever get a constitution).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lazylad wrote:

i reckon you were banned for being a ****.

and a good thing too.

Talliesin wrote:
    Yes, this was really upthere. Even if it wasn't, if I ever see the phrase "Unconstitutional bannings" being used again apparently in earnest I am probably going to interpret it as indicating the poster is a troll and ban accordingly (obviously this policy will change should we ever get a constitution).
    Boards.ie - now ye're a self-governing nation state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Talliesin wrote:
    if I ever see the phrase "Unconstitutional bannings" being used again apparently in earnest I am probably going to interpret it as indicating the poster is a troll and ban accordingly
    Paddy20 wont like this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

muffler wrote:
    Paddy20 wont like this :D

paddy20 is also a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I don't know who paddy20 is, but can't see how anyone would use the phrase "unconstitutional bannings" in earnest unless they were either a troll or too stupid to use the Internet.

All in all I think this is the best idea I've had all day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You should add in some code that searches the post for that phrase and automatically site ban when the (l)user hits Submit.

Actually, that may not be a bad idea, could be useful for a host of different catch-phrases ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

lazylad wrote:
    is just your arrogant attiutde and pride about yourself.

Face? Bovvered?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8HR5g9LioM

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

wow... nought to idiot in like, 5 posts.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

I know trolls get banned generally, but can we not just allow this one in for entertainment? I think this is (however unintentionally) the funniest thread I've read on here in ages. Ah go on...

upthere/lazylad, you rock...come back so we can laugh at you some more...you always have the consolation of knowing that we'll all burn down in hell with the English while you're up there in heaven with all the other good, christian, generous, open-minded people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

mossieh wrote:
    I know trolls get banned generally, but can we not just allow this one in for entertainment? I think this is (however unintentionally) the funniest thread I've read on here in ages. Ah go on...

upthere/lazylad, you rock...come back so we can laugh at you some more...you always have the consolation of knowing that we'll all burn down in hell with the English while you're up there in heaven with all the other good, christian, generous, open-minded people.
    Give the prison forum a cool fire and brimstone background!

Advertisement