Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Called 'Injuries'

• 10-12-2006 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭

Ok this is getting beyond a joke. Not even Newcastle are as injury prone as Boardeaux. I can't get over how many people cry off every week over 'a sore knee'. I'm not looking for any praise but I spent the first two months of the team playing with a torn groin muscle. Despite being told not to play I did because I wanted to get into the team. It gets on my tits when people give out about not getting a fair run then miss the majority of games with minor 'injuries'.

Also if you are injured and so concerned about the team why can't you show up and support the lads who are there? Joe did it the other week and it showed a lot about his charcater. That's the kind of commitment that we need to make the team progress further.

I realise I'm ranting but to be honest it's for the good of the team. We saw what happened when we played against a team with nine players. It was a non event. I don't want us to be on the receiving end of the same thing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Also, its annoying that people don't post in the main thread during the week to say whether or not they reckon they can make it. It makes things very uncertain in the build-up to the match, with today being a good example . Nobody is sure how many will turn up and if its annoying for the players its gotta be annoying for Des in trying to pick a team.

Oh yeah, and John/Lepo can't make it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Go **** yourself Xav. If you want to make a point make one. Dont try and pick
    me out of the crowd as an example especially when I'm not an example to be
    made of. Is it you want me to quit the team?

Des sort this **** out.

You guys know I spent a few months out with my knee caused because players
    would not follow the no slide tackling rule in training games. I spent over 600 euro
    trying to sort it out.

Im sitting at home on a ****ing crutch waiting for the swelling to go down on my
    knee.

Another thing. Joe is dead right. People need to post as soon as they can on
    the match thread. My PSU blew and my laptop PSU adaptor went also this week.
    Ive had projects due during the week too so Ive been distracted from boards.ie
    while in college.

http://www.pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055026935
    http://www.pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055023435

edit: "Torn groin.." You want me to play with a swollen knee then give me another 60
    euro so I can visit the physio the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you want to single yourself out then by all means do. I never did. You weren't the only player not to be there tonight. There were at least another two people who had knee injuries. The fact of the matter still remains that we had eleven players tonight plus a mate of Jules' yet our squad numbers 26 on the Wiki page. It's simply not good enough if people want to the team to succeed. I apologise if you felt singled out but that was not my intention. Other people have given there views on team selection and also missed games so it wasn't directed at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Probably not the righ tthread but if you guys are stuck at any stage I could probably free up my sunday with a day or so's notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Yeah I said it before but if your stuck let me know a day or two before and i should be able to play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Stekelly wrote:
    Probably not the righ tthread but if you guys are stuck at any stage I could probably free up my sunday with a day or so's notice.

well you did start the bloody team :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

KdjaCL wrote:
    well you did start the bloody team :D

kdjac

Hey Hey Hey, wooooooooooow there horsey, Dotn try and direct the hostility on me. :D

Yeah i was hoping maybe people would forget that. :) just thought I'd lend a hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Xavi6 wrote:
    If you want to single yourself out then by all means do. I never did. You weren't the only player not to be there tonight. There were at least another two people who had knee injuries. The fact of the matter still remains that we had eleven players tonight plus a mate of Jules' yet our squad numbers 26 on the Wiki page. It's simply not good enough if people want to the team to succeed. I apologise if you felt singled out but that was not my intention. Other people have given there views on team selection and also missed games so it wasn't directed at you.
    Twelve plus Jules' mate, I arrived 5 mins before kick off (got stuck in traffic).

On the injury thing, if people are genuinely injured they would be crazy to play on it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Go **** yourself Xav.
    Remember this is still Boards.ie and personal abuse is not tolerated.

Leave it out, please.

I'll deal with the rest of this later.

How do you honestly expect me not to feel singled out.

Its madness to play on an injury.

Oh and if you had a torn groin you would know about it. I had one myself when I
    used to play basketball. Had an MRI and was out for 2 months.
    I apologise if you felt singled out but that was not my intention.

If this in genuinely is the case then you completely went about bringing the issue
    up in totally the worst possible way possible.

Des could make a thread at the start of every week with the entire panel
    posted. Beside them put their status for the upcoming game.

We can all then see who is in and who is out. Making it a regular systematic
    event will eventually make players post up their status quicker because they
    know what to expect to see every monday evening on the forum.

As for the injury list. Get used to it. Happens at every level :) As long as
    people are genuinely injured Des has nothing to worry about.

Then if the gaffer feels like, impose restrictions on late posters.
    e.g After Thursday, no game.

• Advertisement

Oh and if you had a torn groin you would know about it. I had one myself when I
    used to play basketball. Had an MRI and was out for 2 months.

Ah so now you're accusing me of feigning injury? Nice. If you must know I played no football in June or July (there's your two months) and was getting constant physio. An MRI was the last resort if the injury didn't heal naturally. Thankfully it did with rest. So yes it was torn and I did my spell on the sidelines. Satisfied?
    Then if the gaffer feels like, impose restrictions on late posters.
    e.g After Thursday, no game.

All well and good in theory but what if (due to injuries) you have barely enough to field eleven players like tonight?

Its just a suggestion.

If we have 11 or 12 players saying they want to play and then on Friday we have
    another 3 saying they are in... its totally up the Gaffer.

The idea is to get people saying if they can play or not earlier.

I didnt know you were coming back off injury. I thought you meant you had a
    torn groin and played with it. Sorry.

Its just a suggestion.

If we have 11 or 12 players saying they want to play and then on Friday we have
    another 3 saying they are in... its totally up the Gaffer.

The idea is to get people saying if they can play or not earlier.

Couldn't agree more. Wednesday is a fair cut off point and hopefully it will give Des an easier job when picking the team.

I didnt know you were coming back off injury. I thought you meant you had a torn groin and played with it. Sorry.
    It's cool. Unfortunately as you probably know, the groin is one of slowest healing parts of the body from a tear. I still get sharp shooting pains during and after matches but thankfully it gets less each week! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mr Pinchy123

I realise I'm ranting but to be honest it's for the good of the team. We saw what happened when we played against a team with nine players. It was a non event. I don't want us to be on the receiving end of the same thing

I presume you're making a poor attempt to quote me so who the f*uck are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mr Pinchy123

Xavi6 wrote:
    I presume you're making a poor attempt to quote me so who the f*uck are you?

santy

thanks for that. see ya now idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Pinchy123 banned from this forum.

WTF was that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mikie

I'm sorry lads for not being at the match. Didn't think it would be a good idea. I've hurt my foot like I said and I want to be back playing asap - so I was having it treated by a friend who is a doctor.

Hope to be back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Don’t think Neil was singling anyone out with his original post and I agree 100% with what he’s saying. Sometimes a captain has to dish out a bollocking to the troops to pull them back in line. I’ve played ball at a wide variety of levels over 13 seasons and this is the worst team for drop-outs that I’ve been involved in. The rant is not without merit.

Either way, Daragh felt singled out so he can be expected to put a defence together, but for me the overreaction is out of line and does leave him open to thoughts of ‘he who doth protest too much’. Daragh - I’ve missed a total of 2 sessions since mid-August, and I can only recall seeing you once at any of those games or training, but yet you’ve managed to post on here suggesting that our manager was disrespecting subs, and you’ve now told our captain to **** off. You need to cool it a bit when posting on here and let your actions on the pitch, or by supporting from the sidelines, do the talking. That’s not a personal attack, it’s an observation and a suggestion and saying it here is the same as saying it in the dressing room, which I’d do if you were there.

Each and every person who has not shown up to injuries can come up with an explanation, but I’m not buying them all. Only the man himself knows if its genuine or not, but the fact its mainly players who are not in the starting 11 has to be more than coincidence, and the tone of the posts we’ve been seeing does make it look like its an excuse. If that’s wrong and sounds unfair, then show up on the sideline regardless, that way noone will question it and the team will appreciate it.

If the injury is so serious you can’t make travel to the game, then fair enough, but let us know. At the moment the posts citing injuries are all referring to what sound like minor knocks, which does make it look like players are waiting till they know what the numbers and weather will be like before they commit to showing up in case they’re not starting. If it’s a serious injury call it out straight away, and if its only a minor knock or something why not show up with your gear and see if you can run it off if needed? There’s a lot of knocks that you won’t notice after a good warm-up and a bit of deep heat – trust me, as someone who has to spend 30 minutes stretching a back injury (long-term, unlikely to ever heal) and covering myself in deep heat before I get into the car for each game, I know – if you really want to play only a serious injury will stop you. And to be clear – I’m not asking anyone to play with muscle tears, but if you’ve got a dead leg or just got a bang on the ankle, come out, warm it up, and see if you can play with it.

We should also do a bit more to prevent injuries: subs should defo be covered from head to toe, if they wear some loose fitting raingear they can strip off in a second it’ll make sure they don’t enter the game stone cold which is pure madness in this weather. For me, everyone should warm up in loose fitting gear: it’ll get the muscles up to optimal temperature quickly which means you’ll get more out of it when you do your stretches, and will be nice and limber for the kick-off when you strip it off just before kick-off – there’s a reason boxers do the same. We only get a couple of minutes to do our group stretch which isn’t enough – everyone should take at least 5 minutes either in dressing room or whenever, to make sure they’re fully stretched, working upwards from calf, hammers, thigh, groin, waist, then arms. If you don’t know the stretches to do just ask someone who does, if it saves one muscle injury its worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just an observation from an observer.
    If you think it is daft, fair enough.

There seem to be a couple of "Washing your dirty linen in public" threads in this forum regarding various gripes that certain members of the team have:
    A: With other members of the team.
    B: With how the team is run.

I don't think posting these sort of arguments in a public message board does much either for the teams image or morale.

I think it may have been mentioned before but surely bringing these things up in training or by a group email (amoung members of the group) or better still face to face is the best way to voice these issues and comments.

I have no connection with the team or any of it's members, I just follow the threads in this forum to see how they are getting on.

Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

that's a fair point, is it possible to make certain threads on here visible only to the squad? That way it'd be exactly like saying something in the privacy of the dressing room.

There's no point having a conversation about players not showing up in the dressing room, so if the above isn't possible I'd be on for an email distribution list for squad only.

For the record, morale within the team is very good - everyone gets along and there's been no rows between any squad members at any training or matches, and no grief between players and manager.

kippy wrote:
    I don't think posting these sort of arguments in a public message board does much either for the teams image or morale.

I think it may have been mentioned before but surely bringing these things up in training or by a group email (amoung members of the group) or better still face to face is the best way to voice these issues and comments.

The opinion of a casual outsider is much appreciated and I agree with what you're saying about talking about it between ourselves. Unfortunately our problem is that we get together once a week for matches and even then most people are only there fifteen minutes to a half an hour before kick off. At that stage everyone needs to be focused on the game and we don't have time to sort out the issues.

I was at about 6 sessions at the start of this and then got injured. Been to 3
    games in total. Missed the last few because of injury and one I think was a project
    deadline during a midweek game. Or maybe that was a different team, cant recall.

But I am one to speak my thoughts and give my opinion. The situation with subs
    was a genuine situation where I myself and others felt we where being forgotten
    about.

This situation was provoked because of a rightfully so, pissed off captain who
    said something which I thought was directed at me. This sh*t happens. But the
    previous situation needed to be sorted out in private but that proved difficult.

Someone mentioned talking in public effects the teams moral or image. Well team
    fights and arguments only make the team stronger. Its when players are holding
    back their thoughts and letting it build up to a point where they just leave
    the team, is when its bad. We are kind of an experiment so I think its cool that
    people get to see for themselves the problems that are popping up. But if we
    have to go private on things then thats understandable.

I think from now on, we should know not to rip each others heads off or call
    names, sorry Xav, and develop a productive way of...having a conversation.
    Because thats all this thread is. A conversation about missing players and
    people thoughts/solutions.

just my 22cent(inflation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Jaysus lads, its been a while since Ive dropped in and it seems like things are a bit heated!

I dunno if this is the best place to ask, but I've just started jogging again after surgery and am looking to start kicking a ball soon enough.

Des might be the best person to ask but I've lost his mobile, but are you guys training at all during the week that maybe I could make an appearance and get involved in some casual running and knocking a ball about?

Obviously with a view to getting involved with the team sometime in the New Year, should that be acceptable to everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Draupnir wrote:
    Jaysus lads, its been a while since Ive dropped in and it seems like things are a bit heated!

I dunno if this is the best place to ask, but I've just started jogging again after surgery and am looking to start kicking a ball soon enough.

Des might be the best person to ask but I've lost his mobile, but are you guys training at all during the week that maybe I could make an appearance and get involved in some casual running and knocking a ball about?

Obviously with a view to getting involved with the team sometime in the New Year, should that be acceptable to everyone!

Not training at the minute, its hard enough to get the numbers on a Sunday evening! I'm sure if you wanted to come along to a match there'd be a decent opportunity for you to get a run out if you feel up to it, especially given the fact that you were there for the sessions at the start. I'd doubt anyone would have a problem with that.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'd doubt anyone would have a problem with that.

Agreed. I'd have no problem whatsoever. Keith, you're a good player, and if it wasn't for the injury I'm sure you would have been in and around the starting eleven. If you could make it to one of the games it'd be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ronald Burgundy

Lads, as an outside observer, this is no way to solve the problem. I also play on a team where we only meet once a week - a short while before the matches.

If someone's not picked, there should be no whingeing. It's nonsense. The best team is picked from the available players. If people are out for a genuine or not-so-genuine reason then they have to accept the possibility that they might have lost their place.

Aside from that, I have a general comment. This is something that's annoyed me since our last match.

Workrate. Put it in. If you don't, you shouldn't be playing - you're a liability and someone else should take your place.

Fecking hoarse from our last outing.....

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I'm bored at work, came across this thread and thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

I went along for a few of the early training sessions in the Phoenix Park, 3 in total. Of those 3, I think the supposed manager showed up 20 minutes before the end of one, when it was nearly dark anyway.

One was on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. This was the last one I went to. Manager didn't show, and his phone was off so we'd no way of contacting him. Turned out he'd lost it the previous night or something (not a good enough excuse in my book, could have logged onto Boards and posted a message in the morning/early afternoon, but didn't). Everyone was just standing around looking at each other, I think it was your good self Xavi6 and myself, who tried to get some semblance of a training session going.

I think there were only about 12 there, if even. What I noticed fairly swiftly from that session, and from the previous couple of evenings, would that it would be a fairly difficult job trying to get the group of lads who showed up organised in any way to enter a team into any kind of a league. I think the reason most didn't show up for the afternoon one was because they were 'injured' from the previous Thursday, or because it was a sunny afternoon, I dunno. But lack of commitment, be it people not showing up because of supposed injuries or because they just don't feel like it, or people not prepared to put the hard work in on the pitch, was going to be a major factor in this team, so that's why I walked away after 3 sessions, back to my old club, which I know now was the wise option. I'm no Maradona, but I like to train properly and take my football seriously, too seriously for 90% of the Boardeaux team that I saw on those 3 evenings I'd say.

Xavi6, I can't believe you're still there, not being bad to the rest of the lads, but I doubted you would have fitted in because you seemed to want to take it seriously as well and could also play a bit, you must be going out of your mind at this stage! I'd suggest finding yourself a Leinster Senior League or AUL team in your locality and joining them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What an odd post :confused:

Odd in that we have trained about 20 times since, know each others real names, have paid a good few quid to play/train, have a full sponsored kit, are in a league with 6 games gone and 8 more to play, have a manager who is the only person to not miss a game.

But other than that spot on :confused:

kdjac

Advertisement