Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Maintenance questions

Options
  • 10-12-2006 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

My 02 TDI Passat's "Check oil level" light/message came on the other day so I duly topped it up to the correct level, but yet the light is still on. Is there some reset button or something I'm missing?

Secondly, I'm getting an intermittent (and rather attention grabbing) "STOP Brake fault / check service manual" warning as well the last few days.
    Now the brakes still work (which is a good thing, right? :D) but I'm told this is a rather generic error that is probably a sign of the brake pads needing changing. Quite possible I guess as she's due her 10k service in under 2k (something ELSE the computer is reminding me of) but can anyone confirm?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If the oil level is correct and you're still getting a fault indication, there could be a faulty sensor. Was the level very low before you topped it up? I'd expect there to be about a litre between min and max.

Many cars have a pair of wires connected to the brake pads so that when the pads wear down to a certain level, applying the brakes will cause an electrical circuit to be "made" and the warning light will come on. You should check the wear level on {b]all[/b] of the pads (inside and outside) and if they are ok then maybe its a sensor fault.

If you have two potential sensor faults, then you need to get to a garage who have diagnostic equipment, be it a main VW garage or another professional outfit. Either way, you need to check both of these faults immediately or, if you don't feel competent to do that, bring it to someone who is.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

these brake pad sensors....are they not just like proximity sensors??

I got new dics and pads on my CLK recently along with a new set of sensors...when I took a squint at them they looked like regular proximity sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If it's only 2k away from a service, then why not send it in now and get everything done at once.

I've seen a few Passats with oil level sensor problems so there's chance that whats at fault. There is no reset. The light is reset by the bonnet lock.

Re the brake problem - Is there a symbol on the dash display as well as the message - if so what does it look like and what colour is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Sam_irl

I would agree with the replies on this, get the engine checked because you should not get the oil light so much. Keep an eye on the engine and oil level frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

crosstownk wrote:
    If it's only 2k away from a service, then why not send it in now and get everything done at once.

I've seen a few Passats with oil level sensor problems so there's chance that whats at fault. There is no reset. The light is reset by the bonnet lock.

Re the brake problem - Is there a symbol on the dash display as well as the message - if so what does it look like and what colour is it?

When the message comes up on the display the red "Brake system" symbol (as they call it in the manual) flashes for a few times, then goes out again along with the message. This seems to be happening when the car is just started or the brakes are applied.

RE: the oil level: I put about 1L into it which brought it up to the upper half of the min/max scale, but I've been careful not to put in too much. Still the problem persists.

I've been thinking it may just be best to get it serviced now but how much should I expect to pay? I was quoted €300 by a main dealer last week (was checking for a friend) but that was without these specific issues. Is €300 about the average for these, or should I shop around a bit?

I assume it'll have to be a main dealer anyway if its a sensor/computer issue?

Thanks for your help all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If the red brake symbol is on intermittently then it could be that your brake fluid is low. the reason it is low is probably due to the fact that your brake pads are wearing - have them checked. If you top up the fluid it will put the light out but when new pads are fitted then you may need to remove some brake fluid.

Oil level : Top it up to the max mark and see what happens. A small bit above the max won't matter but be careful not to go too far above it.

Most decent independent service garages should have a 'universal' fault reader/diagnosis computer. Ask when you are booking it in. I know a place in Dublin (north city) that can do this for you - PM me if you're interested.

Advertisement