Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Edges

Options
  • 10-12-2006 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hate painting :( but I like the edges to be neat. Has anyone used the rollers with the edges that are advertised on TV (cant recall what station). If so, do they work well? Any sources to buy them, woodies etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Hi,

I hate painting :( but I like the edges to be neat. Has anyone used the rollers with the edges that are advertised on TV (cant recall what station). If so, do they work well? Any sources to buy them, woodies etc?

Thanks

I tried them once and found them to be a complete waste of money. Try masking tape and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

hi i paint 4 a living i would reccomend a "purdy" brush get youself a 2 inch one as it will be easier for you to use.if u cant gt one of them just get a oil brush as the tidyier than a normal emulsion brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yup game4it is bang on....a decent brush is more than half the battle....purdy's are very expensive here though (I buy mine in the US and have them sent over)
    Fleetwood do some decnt polyester brushes, including one with a tapered edge which makes cutting in very simple.
    The trick though is a reasonably steady hand, paint that's not too thick (thin it if necessary) and most importantly how you hold your brush....it should be held by the thumb, forefinger and index finger like you'd hold a pen, NOT gripped like the handle of a bike. When you put the brush to the surface, put it an inch or so below the edge you're cutting and curve the line up to draw the edge; this allows a bead of paint to form on the working edge, then brush back over that little curve to remove excess.
    Just take your time...masking tape on things like ceilings takes longer to mask than it would to cut! Mask up things below, rather than above the area you're painting.

Those edging things look like a gimmick TBH...I did use a paint pad system when I lived in the US that did edges very tidyly, but it's hard to beat a brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.
    I though as much, those edge rollers sounded too good to be true. A good brush it is so.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

smashey wrote:
    I tried them once and found them to be a complete waste of money.
    I totally agree.

Go with a good quality brush as suggested earlier - and don't have too many beers the night before :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

A good brush , a steady hand and patience

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

A good brush , a steady hand and patience

Well 2 out of 3 aint bad i guess..........I tend to lack patience sometimes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭maly07@poczta.o

u could get also get PX brushes (Woodies) find them not too bad, cheaper than Purdys and they work fine 4 me. Although i must agree with the guys Purdys r top shelf stuff, bit expensive though

good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Yup Purdys are the way to go but I find they dont hold much paint as a normal pure bristles brush though. Happy cutting in!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,023 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A good 4 inch brush with no bristles falling out..and some nice creamy paint. I worked as a painter in Crumlin Hospital over the summer for a few years. We'd have to cut in a perfectly straight line at the top of a wall which curves before it meets the ceiling. had to use a chalk line to mark it out, and then slowly cut it in. i actually found it fun..

chalk line. very handy
    http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=17911

• Advertisement
Advertisement