Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing Apples.

• 10-12-2006 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.
    Every year, at Christmas, my family buy a big crate of granny smith's from the fruit market in Smithfield's (saves alot of money). We get through most of them, and often split the crate with neighbours, but there are always some that go off. Do any of you know a way to lenghten the amount of time that we can store the apples for? We keep them in a cool room, but otherwise we just leave them in the crate and eat them as we go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

Mayb try not storing them all together. Ever hear the saying a rotten apple spoils the barrell. When fruit ripens it releases chemicals, ethene if i remember right from LC biology, and this causes other fruit to ripen aswel. Thats what the spray bananas with when the arrive into shops all green. They spray it with some other chemical to prevent ripening in the first place for transport. YOU could try gettin some of that mayb, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

You should wrap each apple in some old newspaper, and that help prolong the shelf life. That's what we do with apples from our orchard at home, and it seems to work. After wrapping, we just put them in cardboard boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My gran used to wrap them in newspaper and keep them in an old suitcase under the bed :) Used to last for ages. No central heating, mind you, so the bedroom was like a fridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

yes, my granny used to put pears in newspaper, lasted for months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Newspaper's eh? We'll try that. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement