Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure white finch?

Options
  • 10-12-2006 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    anyone ever come across a pure white finch before? One of the girls in work brought in a video of a pure white bird finch like bird feeding in her garden. I has a light orangey/yellowy beak and legs. She reckons it's a finch as it arrives in the garden with all the others at the same time.
    The only thing I reckon it could be is a mutant zebra finch. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

I saw a white finch in the hedgerow along the lane to the kids school back in the summer. I saw it several times, usually in the same location, give or take a hundred yards. It looked like an albino greenfinch, or bullfinch perhaps, quite stockily built.

Probably a merlin or sparrowhawk meal by now unfortunately, it stood out a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Heheh, they stick out alright!
    I don't think it was an albino though as it didn't have the pink eyes and lack of pigment in it's beak or legs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Possibly an escaped canary. More likely an albino chaffinch. Post the video!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Will try to get a copy of it from the girl in work, it will take at least a week or two though.
    I'd say if it was a different species of bird than the finches they'd mob it. As it is it lives quite happily in amongst the rest of them.

Advertisement