Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web site set up

• 10-12-2006 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Looking in to setting up a web site for a new business.Can anyone recommend a company?.I have checked out a few,but looking for some feedback on what to watch out for.I will be reg a domain name soon and will need the site to be hosted.I see that some companys offer a web site builder.

I guess the best way to go would be an all in one package.Is the any advantage over one sever to the next?.

Any input would be greatly recived.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Hi there, there any many freelancers even on boards.ie, getting a domain and host is easy and whoever is designing the website will probably do this for free! You should in my opinion get a freelancer who will set everything up for you, alternatlively look for the most local source, our best one in galway is probably martec.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

check out www.etrix.ie , they designed www.letseatin.ie and also http://www.eventsoftheweek.com/ and of course many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Calvin141170

I've just set up a hosting account with LetsHost.ie. I have four domains running under the one account -- and at just €3.95 per month (if you opt for a 24 month deal) it won't break the bank either.

The features seem superb so far, there's plenty space (2GB) and plenty of monthly bandwidth (99GB). So far they've been brilliant -- and have a great "Live Chat" support feature on the site to resolve queries quickly. I had a couple of issues transferring my sites from my previous host and the support staff were brilliant.

In terms of setting up the site, if you're fairly comfortable with browser based administration, and prepared to dive in and give it a go, you could try doing it yourself. There are plenty of open source (as in free) dynamic website solutions out there. All of my sites run on Joomla, which is a doddle to set up and administer. There are plenty of others out there -- check out the excellent OpenSourceCMS comparison site for demos and reviews of some of the many systems available for free. The leading ones can even be installed automatically on many hosts through your hosting control panel (look for "Fantastico" or some other script library).

There are plenty of templates available for free to customise the look and feel of these various site engines -- and countless plugins and modules to expand the basic functionality.

If you want/need a truly unique look to your site you can either tweak an existing template (like I did) or hire a freelance designer with experience of your chosen Content Management System to produce a template to your specification -- either way it will work out much cheaper than getting someone to develop a site from scratch.

My Joomla sites are:

www.imageinvitations.com
    www.cjwriting.com
    www.reenascreena.com

I also set up a blog using the free WordPress software yesterday:

www.calvin.byethost6.com/blog

It took about 15 minutes to get the whole thing up and running -- which is pretty amazing!

Anyway, just a thought, and something it might be worth looking into if finances are a bit tight.

Good luck with the site.

Cheers,

Calvin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Thanks for all the info.Had a few offers to set one up,Just have to check a few out and decide on what to do.....

Thanks Mitch

Advertisement