Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista cracked again

• 10-12-2006 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

vista has been cracked again

not going to post any links but seems their have been a few activation servers set up in china, and if you install vista businness with the special key you can activate it using just 2 dos commands

:mad:
    activation an unlicensed os is illegal, but more importantly if i had knowen this sooner i wouldnt have gone to croke park last week :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't worry they will sort it out with the first service pack,
    if not sooner with a critical update / desirable add on that requires validation.

Don't worry they will sort it out with the first service pack,
    if not sooner with a critical update / desirable add on that requires validation.

it won't be done with a service pack, there a thing of the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

it won't be done with a service pack, there a thing of the past.
    Why explain please?

Why explain please?

When I was in one of the demo areas at the Vista launch in Croke Park last week i got taking to one of the Mircosoft techs there. I was asking him about what way updates will be done with Vista, as with any new OS no matter how much you try to get it right there will always be issues (things overlooked or new hardware/software coming out that will have issues with the system), plus the fact that not everyone here in Ireland have or can't get broadband and downloading some updates can take hours/days.
    His reply was that Vista updates will not be in the form of service packs/cd's, that it will all be done via internet and the same will apply now to XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

:confused:

The small updates are normally done via the internet as it is. Seems there is a contradiction in there.
    hellboy99 wrote:
    plus the fact that not everyone here in Ireland have or can't get broadband and downloading some updates can take hours/days.
    His reply was that Vista updates will not be in the form of service packs/cd's, that it will all be done via internet and the same will apply now to XP.

Am I reading that bit right or is my head still bananas from the weekend?

• Advertisement

petes wrote:
    :confused:
    The small updates are normally done via the internet as it is. Seems there is a contradiction in there.
    Thats correct, what I was trying to say was, for example with XP if you have one of the first discs without a service pack included and you have to do a new install it will take you ages to install all the updates from Service Pack 1 & 2 and any of the current ones too whether u have BB or if your unlucky to have dialup then forget it.
    It just makes things a lot easier to have Service Pack CD's rather than having to download from the net if you have to restore your PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I still don't see how any of that means that service packs are "a thing of the past".

Anyhow, I saw a post on Wired (I think) during the week about another method being used, where people have set up the activation server on a VMWare Image, so the person going to activate their copy only has to install VMWare Player and run a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

cracking the activation software and using an rc1 key stil works

i cant believe that microsoft are still handing out RC1 installation keys when the RTM can be activated with them even vista ultimate

I still don't see how any of that means that service packs are "a thing of the past".
    According to the MS Tech I was speaking to at the Vista launch there will be no more service pack cd's lauched.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hellboy99 wrote:
    According to the MS Tech I was speaking to at the Vista launch there will be no more service pack cd's lauched.
    No more CD's.

I did an XP reinstall recently, 69 patches, each running one after the other, and load order may be important so you could not apply them manually without qchain or similar. So I guess they will continue to release service packs, maybe under a different name. The ideal solution would be to slipstream each of the patches into the i386 folder so over time you have the latest online , but microsoft don't insist on you having your install files on the hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

considering vista sp1 is scheduled for a 2007 release :rolleyes: and there are a fair few people working on it,
    im sure its not the end for service packs.

speaking of having fun updating.
    my "friend" had a "problem" with his pc a week ago which i was "asked" to fix.
    the problem was that he had installed windows xp [not even sp1] and connected to the internet.
    that took a while to update - lost count of the reboots too.

subway wrote:
    considering vista sp1 is scheduled for a 2007 release :rolleyes: and there are a fair few people working on it,
    im sure its not the end for service packs.

Is it going to be released on CD ? if so then they might want to tell the MS guys here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

who knows hwo its going to be released.
    vista wasnt going to be relased on cd until the product guys changed their mind a few weeks ago.

i cant predict the future and neither can the sales and marketing guy you were talking to at the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Microsoft were saying the same thing when XP was launched,
    I don't believe we have seen the last of the Service Packs

Advertisement