Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom cant tell me if BB is available in my area?

Options
  • 10-12-2006 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My telephone line is not active. I rang eircom and basically they said the only way they can tell if bb is available in my area is if I have an active line? Do I smell bull? Surely they can tell me if my telephone exchange (20 metres up the road) is bb enabled? How do I find out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Get a neighbours number and put that in the line checker. Eircom used to have a list of enabled exchanges on their website. I'm not sure if they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

paulm17781 wrote:
    Get a neighbours number and put that in the line checker. Eircom used to have a list of enabled exchanges on their website. I'm not sure if they still do.

Tried that - 'The results are inconclusive' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Loobz wrote:
    Hey,

My telephone line is not active. I rang eircom and basically they said the only way they can tell if bb is available in my area is if I have an active line? Do I smell bull? Surely they can tell me if my telephone exchange (20 metres up the road) is bb enabled? How do I find out?

Coming from a guy who WORKS for an ISP, I can safely say, the only means I have of checking if a line is suitable for broadband is if the line is up and running. I don't have a list of enabled exchanges, all be it in the UK market.

It's not bull. If they could tell you if your line is suitable, they would. These internet conspiracies get old in a hurry.

You'll find out when your line is enabled. Until then, it doesn't matter because the order won't be provisioned until your line is enabled anyways. So have a bit of patience and call them when the line is up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

So have a bit of patience and call them when the line is up and running.

But what if he orders the line ..... and then finds it not suitable for BB .... :confused:

He's stuck with a telephone line he may not want and no BB .... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

hobie wrote:
    But what if he orders the line ..... and then finds it not suitable for BB .... :confused:

He's stuck with a telephone line he may not want and no BB .... :(

Exactly. AFAIK, in order for a telephone exchange to become enabled, Eircom engineers have to fit equipment etc in the exchange? Or is it just a signal. If this is the case, can they not check if the work has been done?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Loobz wrote:
    Exactly. AFAIK, in order for a telephone exchange to become enabled, Eircom engineers have to fit equipment etc in the exchange? Or is it just a signal. If this is the case, can they not check if the work has been done?

Even if the exchange is enabled the poster wont know if the line is suitable for broadband until his own line is switched on surely?

In the meantime try a few more neighbour's numbers or maybe actually ask a few if they know if anyone has broadband in the area?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Here's a list of the broadband enabled exchanges in Ireland.

http://mmm.eircom.ie/maps/default.asp

If your exchange isn't on the list, it's not enabled.

Still doesn't mean you can get DSL, unfortunately, thanks to our friend at the end, entropy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

that list is not definitive and it is BS, they know which exchnages have dsl gear in them. ring 1800503303 and find out if its on the list before you get the line.

Advertisement