Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router issue

Options
  • 10-12-2006 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone give me some advice on what router to get, I don't need anything fanshy, just something to split my cable internet? I have a US Robotics 8004 model and it is the worst piece of maggot sheet I ever came across! I have to reboot at least once a week, drops connection often, won't let me access boards sometimes but fine with other sites, when I try and watch RTE streaming news, it doesn't play either.

Now all of the above work fine and no problems if I have the computer plugged directly into the cable modem but as soon as I have it in the router all the problems start. I have tried a number of solutions, upgrading the firmware and port forwarding but no joy.

I was thinking of picking up this one, any comments? Thank you in advance for your advice, I'm going to play rubgy now with my router. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Linksys Wireless g.

I had a netgear there, absolutely brutal, we have to plug the cable directly into the modem, and have a sharing roster.

Avoid Netgear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Linksys eh *rubs chin* I'll looook into it, fank yew.

Well, we have a 6mb connection, with the netgear, we were getting about 400kbps down.

With the linksys, its between 4.98mbps and 5.74 mbps. This is the one I got .. Linksys Router

Unfortunately, we only have one usb...wireless...thingy....thing for the moment so we still have the roster.

Aye I probably want a woired one so, I have no wireless thingymajigs on either machine. Will route about and see what linksys have in the wired kind. :)

You can plug up to 4 cables into the back of that one, had one in the old house with 2 pc's running off it, I have to say it never let us down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

WRT the reboot problem, get a 24 hour timer switch so it reboots in the wee hours, also put it somewhere cooler in case it's an over heating problem

Cheers for the advice, I ended up going for a D-link model number 604.

Advertisement