Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old(ish) alarm - service or replace?

Options
  • 10-12-2006 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

My 10yr old Homeguard Scopetronic has been playing up recently - appears to arm/disarm correctly but on testing, there are problems.

When armed, open a door, panel beeps, input code - goes to "u" disarmed.
    Perfect :) . However.......

When armed, open a door, panel beeps, don't input code, panel stops beeping after maybe a minute but shows "_" (armed). No alarm activates until maybe 15mins later. Inputting the code then, alarm deactivates but shows "E" followed by "u".

I presume this means "Error".

I opened it up & the battery is goosed, showing just 7v. I wonder would just replacing the battery sort it? Probably not :(.

I don't have any manual or know much about it TBH. Always assumed it was working properly, until now.

I've been quoted €120 + vat + fitting for a new board or panel which "may sort it" :rolleyes: . Battery extra of course. Is it worth spending this on it or better to replace it completely? If replacing, what would be a good, reasonably priced choice, hopefully something that can make use of the existing door/window sensors, bell box & internal siren etc.

Don't have IR sensors, just all windows & doors fitted with sensors. Would like something that could be hooked up to the phone line too for future (possible) monitoring.

Hoping to do the install myself too to save a few €s but I'm a service engineer by profession so should be able to swap out the system.

Unfortunately I can't find any info on-line on the Scopetronic so if anyone has any diagnosics details or engineers manual etc., that would be a great help.

Help!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Believe me its not worth trying to fix. It will gie you headaches
    Replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Thanks for the reply.

I'm tending towards replacing it alright but with what???

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 scruffybeat

hi, i have the same system in a house ive just moved into. My problem is that the alarm will not set and the panel flashes u..t..p, can anyone translate this for me please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

hi, i have the same system in a house ive just moved into. My problem is that the alarm will not set and the panel flashes u..t..p, can anyone translate this for me please

U stands for unarmed. tp stands for tamper personal attack.
    It sounds like there's a wire disconnected on your personal attack button. Disconnect it completely at the panel and see does it disappear.

On the other query - definitely get rid of the old alarm. HKC do a nice alarm with plenty of zones and easy to install

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Reyman wrote:
    U stands for unarmed. tp stands for tamper personal attack.
    It sounds like there's a wire disconnected on your personal attack button. Disconnect it completely at the panel and see does it disappear.

On the other query - definitely get rid of the old alarm. HKC do a nice alarm with plenty of zones and easy to install

A (or PA)is for Personal Attack!!
    TP is Panel Tamer check the lid on the control panel is fulley closed & the tameper spring is being pushed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

koolkid wrote:
    A (or PA)is for Personal Attack!!
    TP is Panel Tamer check the lid on the control panel is fulley closed & the tameper spring is being pushed in.

KK: Incorrect according to my Scopetronic manual . Panel lid tamper is is tL and the other messages are as I mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I actually replaced it with a HKC (with dialer), fitted some PIRs & hooked it up to the phone line. Easy install/setup & very happy with the HKC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

ied say replace it.........the E stands for exit entry,so it must have been the front door that you were using to test. if possible it would be a good idea to replace the wires or failing that go for a wire free.they can be exspensive but not much mess and wiring involved. the quote for replacing the panel is about right, well thats the rough price for a hkc 8/12 the modern equivilant to what you have.the hkc panel would be the way to go. the text dialer/digi can dial into a monitoring station or can be used to text one or more phones.

Advertisement