Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

91% Of Mobile Phone Users in Ireland get a discount from their provider

• 10-12-2006 7:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

but ONLY if they ASK for a discount which only 12% of them did .

88% never asked for a discount and never got a discount, funny that.

Data from this PDF page 42 here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

my adobe reader is acting up a bit
    any chance of a summary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Conclusions
    In line with recent waves fixed line subscriptions continue to stabilise, with
    mobile penetration rates increasing marginally from last quarter up 7% to 87%.
    As in Q2 2006, younger respondents and those in the rental sector are least
    likely to have a fixed line subscription, however these groups indicate
    particularly high levels of subscriptions to mobile services.
    1 in 10 fixed line customers have complained to their fixed line service provider
    in the last 12 months, with complaints mainly relating to either the cost or quality
    of service. As with previous surveys Eircom remains the largest providers of
    both the residential phone (76%) and directory enquiry (67%) services.
    Although only 12% of mobile subscribers had contacted their service provider to
    seek additional discounts, of these, 91% received some form of discount when
    sought from a mobile provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I've heard about this, apparently it's particularly effective if you phone in just before your contract is up (with a line such as "I've been with you for 1/2 years. I can get the same minutes/call plan with Meteor/Vodafone/O2/3 for €xx less, can you offer me something similar.")

I've a feeling the mobile phone companies customer service centres will be a bit busier tomorrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I've a feeling they won't. In my experience, most people plain simply just don't care about saving money, especially if it means picking up the phone. Case in point, a client recently decided to get DSL. The client could have saved €300 a year by going with a bundle from BT Ireland, but instead decided to stick with Eircom.

Not because of any trust issue, but because it "wasn't worth the hassle" to pick up the phone.

That's how most people are. I'm not saying I blame them, and I certainly can understand that in today's world, time is at a premium. I'm just stating it like it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

find out what deal the competition is doing and then hassle your own provider to give you the same deal as a discount

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

In my experience working for a mobile phone company, these discounts are simply offers that are available to anyone, but are presented as a way to reduce your bill when you ring up. Sad, but true!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

anybody have any joy ringing their provider for a discount yet ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I think SDooM has a point - they won't just give you a discount if they're not making money from you. Loyalty is one thing ... but it needs to make sense for them to give you a discount too.

Advertisement