Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nytol - To help with insomnia

Options
  • 10-12-2006 9:08pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For the past months I have had trouble falling asleep. Each morning I wake up pretty tired after tossing and turning for the first part of the night, then just getting into a deep sleep when I have to get up.

The rings under my eyes are noticeable and I am tired (pardon the pun) of walking around in a sleep deprived daze.

Today I got some Nytol from the pharmacy and will take a tablet to see if it helps get me to the snoozeland promptly.

Anyone here have good or bad experiences they wish to share with Nytol? Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Never used Nytol (or anything else) to help me get to sleep, though I am prone to a good few hours of tossing and turning.

Let us know how you get on. I'd be interested to hear whether or not it's actually a good restful nights sleep you get, or does it simply knock you out and still leave you groggy in the morning?

Also, anyone have any experience with other products? There's some sleep-inducing tea that a friend of mine uses. I forget the name but I've been meaning to try it. I like the idea of tea as oppose to tablets / soluble-powder.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Nytol worked alright. I took one tablet and went to bed about 10 minutes later. You are supposed to take 2 and wait for 20 minutes.

It does not knock you out... merely relaxes you and I drifted off.

Of course, I'm not sure if I drifted off because of the tablet or because I was tired.

Anyway, so far so good. I feel fine this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I wouldn't recommend it for long term use cuz you miss REM sleep.
    But I can't see no harm in trying it for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Lust4Life wrote:
    That's what I'd be afraid of. Do you not need REM for a good nights sleep?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hmmm, I was checking out REM sleep info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_eye_movement

It states that REM sleep is needed to consolidate memories.

The reason I took Nytol the other night was to get a good nights sleep to help with my studying for an exam on Friday. Do you think the lack of REM sleep means I will not have this memory consolidation and thus impair my exam studying even though I am sleeping better? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Nytol may be a very temporary solution, but as with other drugs, don't rely on it for prolonged periods of time. Try seeking more natural solutions to aid your getting to sleep. Exercise, reduction or elimination of caffine, avoidance of stimulant drugs (uppers), read novels in bed, and best of all, get a bed buddy that you can snuggle with (or better yet, exhaust yourself with).

I currently do all of that stuff: i.e Gym every second day, no tea for the past while to see if it helps, no uppers, I do read a fair bed.... and of course have a great bed buddy ;)

I think it is more related to stress and no being able to click the off switch in my brain.

Just to update you ... on the second night I took two Nytol tablets... no effect.. I was tossing and turning like a hippo on the muddy banks of the wishka all night.

Last night I took one... again no effect... this morning I am knackered.

There ends my experimentation with Nytol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Lust4Life wrote:

Link to evidence please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Cake Fiend wrote:
    Link to evidence please?
    Lust4Life works in ER, so she probably knows something about this from a medical standpoint. As to sources, this link has a subsection called "Sleeping Pills" that briefly mentions how they affect REM sleep.

http://www.mcgill.ca/studenthealth/information/generalhealth/sleep/

A more scholarly explanation could be had from researching the medical journals online.

Advertisement