Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Independent Life Magazine

Options
  • 10-12-2006 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

SundayIndependentlife20061210.jpg

If you were upset by the panel, then you probably shouldn't read this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

ah to be fair the panel are just a group of harmless comedians poking a bit of fun , but this piece above just looks like something that belongs in a crap tabloid. Total and utter rubbish out of the Sunday Independent.

Just when you thought the Indo couldn’t get anymore tackier.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Can you post a link, nothing is showing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

try this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Thanks Billy, idiotic but not worth getting upset about, we have to start putting ourselves forward and damn the begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lyencoli

I cannot believe that some donkey in Dublin actually wrote this S***E. I looked at RTE website on Friday and there was minor sub-edits about 2 people killed due to gangland and other hit and runs and assults. These were only minor things to happen in Dublin, in Limerick it would have been on the six o'clock.
    This Cr*p in the independant in sensationalism and shlock journalism. I know i won't be wasting my money on their pulp in the future.
    Let them get off their as*e in dublin and report on the great job done by the City and Local businesses with all the decorations and lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

lyencoli wrote:
    Let them get off their as*e in dublin and report on the great job done by the City and Local businesses with all the decorations and lights.

Decorations and fairy lights are fodder for the local papers, they don't sell national newspapers. Scandal and violence, on the other hand, does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I am normally the guy saying " ah , pay no attention to it " but that was a bit offensive .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Absolute Pap, I would be bothered if he was actually writing definitively and constructively. He needs a good slap in the mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

ah that column is always teetering on the edge of being super offensive. its trying to be tongue in cheek a lot of the time and fails. he/she probably pats him/herself on the back for being so darn hilarious. *rolls eyes* t'was limerick's turn this time i spose.
    (was i the only one who didnt think it actually made sense anyway? i had to read it a couple of times to get any kind of sense out of it..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

All the wit, sparkle and originality of an average episode of the Morbegs. Someone needs to go to writing class.

I wouldn't get worried over it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

ellenmelon wrote:
    ah that column is always teetering on the edge of being super offensive. its trying to be tongue in cheek a lot of the time and fails. he/she probably pats him/herself on the back for being so darn hilarious. *rolls eyes* t'was limerick's turn this time i spose.
    (was i the only one who didnt think it actually made sense anyway? i had to read it a couple of times to get any kind of sense out of it..)

Wasn't aware this is a regular column.Arra sher god help us, yet another hack trying to make waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm begining to wish that Limerick was as violent and scarey as these idiots make it out to be.

If it was, everyone would be too afraid to slate us like this.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Anyone got an email address for the columnist or the editor? I think it's about time we let them know what the 'aristocrats' think!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭KNS

Nothing surprising there. The indpendent has turned into nothing more than a rag lately.

It's starting to get a bit lame the way our so called national newspapers highlight anything that happens in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

At this stage I have two words for the Dublin "journalists" :rolleyes: : Kettle, pot

Funny thing is, though, that having this article as "rugby for beginners" is kindof appropriate.

I mean, given its pathetic snide content, its content is obviously not aimed at anyone in Limerick; given that title, along with Munster's ongoing success, we could've guessed that, right ? So we know we don't need to read it.

It's obviously aimed at those poor D4 and surrounding idiots who support Leinster and who don't realise that snorting cocaine at their "so, loike, cool, parties" is causing someone to be murdered 2 miles up the road.

So writing "rugby for beginners" while protecting them about the fact that they're living in the most violent city in Ireland (and contributing to it via their Coke habit) is perfectly understandable.

God love 'em, I'm not sure whether to feel sorry for 'em or laugh at 'em at this stage.

Let's ignore 'em and let 'em off; we have our quota of scum to put in prison, and we shout focus on that. If they want to ignore their problems, that's their lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Kind of overreacting, lads, aren't we?

TmB, what if the same article (given its supposed rugby content) was about the South Africans ? Or black people ? Or immigrants ? Or travellers ?

Basically, the Sindo would be told where to go for being obnoxious ill-informed gob****es.

So why can't we stand up for ourselves the same as anyone else ?

Like I said, I'm fast becoming of the opinion that you should laugh at these idiots when they decide to deflect attention from Dublin, but hey, there's nothing wrong with standing up for yourself when required.

If McDowell introduced a slander law in relation to comments about places the Sindo would be bankrupt long ago......

It's a rag that I wouldn't use as toilet paper at this stage, so its opinion is irrelevant; and that's the paper itself....the magazine is a pure waste of rainforest altogether, when you consider that it thinks posting dodgy photos of celebrities captioned with pathetic snide insults is worthwhile.

It's not worth worrying about their opinion, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK, fair enough. :)
    To be honest, it made me smile (in a "Oh look, someone else jumping on the 'lets slag Limerick' bandwagon" kind of way).

You're right, though - its typical Sindo sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

for lack of a better word thats retarded

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

lyencoli wrote:
    I cannot believe that some donkey in Dublin actually wrote this S***E. I looked at RTE website on Friday and there was minor sub-edits about 2 people killed due to gangland and other hit and runs and assults. These were only minor things to happen in Dublin, in Limerick it would have been on the six o'clock.
    This Cr*p in the independant in sensationalism and shlock journalism. I know i won't be wasting my money on their pulp in the future.

Baibe Salute--- Minor News? I think not
    Inoccent plumber shot in gangland double murder
    Minor news? I think not.

Although the article in the Sunday Indo above is idiotic, that is the Sunday Indo for you. Not to be bought by anyone who values a bit of intelligent reading on a Sunday. And the worst reporter there is from Cork anyway not Dublin.

Don't be blaming RTE for showing the news, blame the scum that are carrying out these attacks in Limerick and Dublin( mostly) and in other places to a lesser extent.

By the way I'm not from Limerick or Dublin!

• Advertisement

I think that's what lyencoli was getting at - the 2 murders in Dublin weren't minor news, but RTE had them as such, whereas they would more than likely have put a similar Limerick story as top of the pile.

As Fox News say about their coverage - "fair and balanced" :rolleyes:

Liam Byrne wrote:
    I think that's what lyencoli was getting at - the 2 murders in Dublin weren't minor news, but RTE had them as such, whereas they would more than likely have put a similar Limerick story as top of the pile.

As Fox News say about their coverage - "fair and balanced" :rolleyes:

Liam I think you are deluding yourself, from a person that has lived in both cites, neither now and not from either one. RTE certainly didn't have them as minor stories. Every murder deserves high priority coverage. We can't pretend they aren't happening now can we? I would say the Baibe murder got more air time than any other this year, nothing to do with location, but rather to do with the fact that she was an inocent young mother.

Baibe Salute--- Minor News? I think not

You mean the murder of Baiba Salute that the Irish Examiner tried to blame on Limerick with no evidence or truth in fact, whatsover?!
    http://newswire99.blogspot.com/2006/11/gardai-investigate-dublin-murders.html
    As soon as this happened the Dublin media tried to deflect it on Limerick.
    I've yet to see a retraction, and lets be honest, we never will.

Or when Brenda Power wrote this in the Daily mail.
    The polonium in Litvinenko's system took three weeks to kill him-If the Russians really wanted him out of the way they could have hired a thug from Limerick to do it far more efficiently and without half the fuss.

I think that we can all agree that nobody from Limerick had anything to do with Litvinenko's death, but there goes our "national" media once again enforcing a negative, derogatory stereotype, that is far removed from the actual truth.

Liam I think you are deluding yourself, from a person that has lived in both cites, neither now and not from either one. RTE certainly didn't have them as minor stories.

Not my personal opinion; I'm only going on the post, which said they were "minor sub-edits" on the RTE website.

You mean the murder of Baiba Salute that the Irish Examiner tried to blame on Limerick with no evidence or truth in fact, whatsover?!
    http://newswire99.blogspot.com/2006/11/gardai-investigate-dublin-murders.html
    As soon as this happened the Dublin media tried to deflect it on Limerick.
    I've yet to see a retraction, and lets be honest, we never will.

Irish Examiner is Dublin Media? Not unless Dublin has moved to Cork. The article was written by a Limerick correspondant.

Besides, blaming one of the thug gamgs from Limerick hardly amount to blaming Limerick.
    It is these thug gangs that are causing the bad name.

Irish Examiner is Dublin Media? Not unless Dublin has moved to Cork. The article was written by a Limerick correspondant.
    ....and one who appears to have an agenda. Maybe it's just to be picked up by more papers by writing what they want to print, but it's still an agenda. The same guy wrote a defamatory and conspiratorial article, with loads of guesswork and supposition, in October (the last time I will EVER buy the rag) and despite my attempts to get a response and Live 95's attempts to get him for an interview to discuss the guesswork and supposition, there was absolute silence from both the Sindo and Jimmy Woulfe (the "journalist" in question). My letter querying the level of facts in the article was neither published nor replied to.
    Besides, blaming one of the thug gamgs from Limerick hardly amount to blaming Limerick

So why publish "Stab City" crap or whatever the latest ****e buzz-word is ? If they were indeed following your perfectly reasonable point, they would print "Stab / Shooting Gang in Limerick City", not tag the whole city with the catchphrase.

Don't get me wrong, L&P - your viewpoint is fine by me, but you've got to acknowledge that the ****e being published is extremely exaggerated, slanderous and damaging to the 99% of decent people who go about their lives doing excellent work and doing nothing untoward. It'd be like saying that one traveller was a criminal and then publishing rubbish headlines like "Criminal Travellers", or that one black emigrant guy was a murderer and publishing "The Black Death has arrived in Ireland"; pointless, inaccurate and defamatory, and a grave injustice to all normal people who just happened to be linked by birth or location to what is basically the standard proportion of scumbags to be expected in any city nowadays.
    True, but it is certain sections of the media that are exaggerating it and associating it with the entire city.

Besides, blaming one of the thug gamgs from Limerick hardly amount to blaming Limerick.

I never said the Examiner was a Dublin paper.
    In fact I've said here on numerous occasions that the Examiner is the only real non-Dublin biased paper!:rolleyes:

If you read the initial article, (it's on the examiners archive page, I'll look it up for you if you want), the headline was something akin to "Baiba Salute killed by Limerick Thugs"

They then went on to state in the article, that members of the McCarthy/Dunndons may have killed her as a repayment to some Latvian gangs.
    They never once listed any evidence, or any proof, and when it was disproved, the article was just never mentioned again.

My point is that there was no proof, evidence or truth in the story, so does that warrant the headline claiming that the killer was from Limerick?!
    No.
    Plain and simple.

It was just bad journalism, and again, It's Limericks image that is tarnished for something that had nothing to do with them.

P.S: You're point about it being a Limerick corispondant is? Maybe they were from Limerick, but it's just as likely that they could be from anywhere else in the country, and be working in Limerick.:rolleyes:

I never said the Examiner was a Dublin paper.
    In fact I've said here on numerous occasions that the Examiner is the only real non-Dublin biased paper!:rolleyes:

If you read the initial article, (it's on the examiners archive page, I'll look it up for you if you want), the headline was something akin to "Baiba Salute killed by Limerick Thugs"

They then went on to state in the article, that members of the McCarthy/Dunndons may have killed her as a repayment to some Latvian gangs.
    They never once listed any evidence, or any proof, and when it was disproved, the article was just never mentioned again.

My point is that there was no proof, evidence or truth in the story, so does that warrant the headline claiming that the killer was from Limerick?!
    No.
    Plain and simple.

It was just bad journalism, and again, It's Limericks image that is tarnished for something that had nothing to do with them.

P.S: You're point about it being a Limerick corispondant is? Maybe they were from Limerick, but it's just as likely that they could be from anywhere else in the country, and be working in Limerick.:rolleyes:

The correspondant is from Limerick, and always was! He is a well know Limerick man nationally, he reports on the good and bad that happens in Limerick. I think the sugestion that there was Limerick involvment also included, Dublin and Lebaneese involvement. I don't hear them complaining about a press conspiracy.

If the Limerick gangs were involved, would you prefer it was hushed up in case the good people of Limerick were offended about that?

• Advertisement

he reports on the good and bad that happens in Limerick
    If you ever spoke to the Limerick Co-ordination Office, they'd beg to differ, as they are on record as trying to get good news from Limerick printed on numerous occasions and either the reporter or the editor haven't bothered their arses printing it.

And I have to say that the "final straw" report which caused me to stop buying the Sindo was neither "good or bad news from Limerick"; it was pure supposition and fiction, saying what Limerick might possibly be called "if there was another murder in Limerick, and if there weren't any anywhere else". A bit like saying "if West Ham win all their remaining matches and neither Man Utd nor Chelsea win any more, then West Ham will win the Premiership"! Lazy tabloid ****e, and definitely not deserving of a headline!

But publish the article and the headline they did, and the headline, however clairvoyant or fictional, is what sticks in people's minds when they are deciding where to visit for tourism or shopping.

As I've repeatedly said, I'll refuse to ignore what problems are there - it'd be counter-productive, but headlines like that and the article in Sunday Life are pure gutter rubbish and should not be published.

Compare that to the treatment of Haughey where, despite journalists years ago having most of the facts, they DIDN'T follow up the story enough and publish what was required; now that the facts are in the public domain, they've no problem doing so. Why the difference ? Because an individual can sue for slander/libel, whereas a location cannot.

Print the facts, lobby the politicians to get it sorted, but don't let the "news" papers print lies and slander.

Advertisement