Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christmas trees down the road

Options
  • 10-12-2006 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I got a tree from the man outside the fairways last night. 50Euro for a fine big tree the stand and delivery. I thought that was great value because th stand was already on the tree and there was no messing about just had to dress it.

On another note though he told me he had people giving out to him that were not happy with him selling trees outside their apartments. Not sure why but I don't live down there so I can't comment but does anyone know what the problem might be. It's only temporary after all. Does he have a permit though? Never thought to ask but surely he would have gotten permission before setting up......?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I would have thought he'd need permission before setting up and if he didn't have a trading permit I'm sure the Gardaí would have something to say.

I guess people may object if they feel that parking spaces are being taken up by customers and the space taken up with the trees themselves.

Will probably pick up a tree towards the weekend, good to know that the price includes delivery. I hate trying to get a tree into the car!

Will the Town Council office be taking the trees again after christmas this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i'm sure they will be - they have the last few years. the south beach carpark was covered in trees last January.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

You did well Foxy! I paid €50 and did not get delivery! :) The guys selling the trees are wearing "Durkan" bibs. Guess they work for the developers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I was thinking it was a bit expensive at first (the tree itself was 40) But when the stand was already attatched to the tree (stand was a tenner) it saved loads of hassle dragging it to your car bringing it home and spending an hour or so trying to screw it into the tree! Well worth it imo. Highly reccomended:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

got a tree and stand (7.5 feet) from beside the meridian center for €35

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

Bah humbug!............. It's great to see Tree sold in the weeks leading up the Xmas!......... it all adds to the Festive Cheer!..

On a serious note....... you would need a casual trading license to do this (but these guys are exempt because it is on private property).

But most authorities turn a blind eye to this each year, because it's not as if you can pop into Supervalu for your groceries and the Christmas Tree. These guys need to sell on any patch they can get their hands on.

Apparently though the "Residents Commitee" (don't know what that means) approved this and a donation will be made to charity.

As I said if you're complaining about this one - bah humbug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

I got my tree there also and its perfect. I left my stand with him and 20 mins later he delivered it!
    its helping all the locals who dont drive and helping someone earn an extra few quid for christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

We got our tree from the guys at Blacklion motors. €35, including stand, for a huge tree. Really nice guys too, they offered to deliver it for free.

Angel wrote:
    We got our tree from the guys at Blacklion motors. €35, including stand, for a huge tree. Really nice guys too, they offered to deliver it for free.
    Makes you wonder how committed they are to car sales that they just clear the lot to make way for trees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

Makes you wonder how committed they are to car sales that they just clear the lot to make way for trees!

I asked him about that! He said he can't open his mechanic's yard any more because of some planning permission dispute.

• Advertisement

We got our tree on Sunday from the guy at the main roundabout. Lovely tree, delivered with stand.

It was a little on the large size and takes up quite a bit of the living room, but it's there now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 hon79

We got our tree from him as well and I love it. And to anyone who might be complaining about the parking, in fairness, there is ample car parking spaces outside The Fairways and there are never any cars parked on that space anyway. I think, fair play to him, seems a nice guy too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I got my tree from Festina Lente in Bray, take the Rathmichael exit of the N11and turn left down old conna. All proceeds to a charitible foundation and the trees don't shed! they also do gorgeous wreaths made by adults with special educational needs.

Advertisement