Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshly built PC .. powering on

Options
  • 10-12-2006 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Ok. Thanks to boards members last week I finally built my new PC.

Problem is, I am not sure of two final details... :o

Almost everything is hooked up except for the GPU and one power cable. And this is where my question come from...

The Mobo (Intel Extreme BAD AXE 2) has three power sockets...2x12(24 Pin), 2x4(8 Pin) & a 1x4(4 Pin). Now my power supply (Seasonic M12 Modular) has the usual outputs but the 3 power connectors are 2x12(24 Pin), 2x4(4 Pin) & a 2x2(4 Pin).

My question is...what do I do about the 1x4(4 Pin) on the Mobo ? Do I plug a standard 1x4 power connector into it ?

I am ready to rock almost but dare not power up until I know I have it all set up correctly.

All help much appreciated :)

Regards,
    Brian.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The (1x4) 4 pin I assume from looking at this picture is the standard molex one found on other peripherals tucked between the blue heatsink and the fan header.

If you read the text underneath you will see it says aux PCI-e graphics power it is not necessary to plug in anything it is just there to feed power to a graphics card but your PSU is more than capable.

According to Seasonics website the M12 should have the 2x4 (8 pin) connector this is called EPS12v though the board you have may or may not boot without this connected (conflicting info).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Thanks 8T8. Thats great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I have same motherboard and psu - so here is the answer.

On the gpu :
    If your psu has 2 pci-e cables (I know the 700w Seasonic comes with 2 pci-e cables and each one has 2 pci-e connectors) : plug one of the pci cables into your psu, and plug the connectors on each end into the video card. For stability it is recommended actually to use separate pci-e cables also, so it might be best to plug both pci cables into the psu and use one connector from each cable into your video card. Hope that is clear. Forget about the adaptors that came with the video card. Only for people with zero or 1 pci-e cable.

CPU
    You get a 24pin connector (12x12). This is main ATX connector - goes straight into motherboard.

You get an 8pin EPS connector (4x4). The Bad Axe 2 comes with an 8pin 12v connector on the motherboard as well. Look again....it's in the top right hand corner. You plug the 8pin EPS connector from the PSU into this 8pin connector as if offers more stability then using the normal 4pin 12v connector. Originally it was designed to be used for cpu's that suck alot of power (Intel EE series), but works fine with all Core2Duo's and is recommended.

You get a 4pin ATX 12v connector - ignore this. Just use the 8pin EPS as above.

AUX Power
    There is a 4pin molex connector on the Bad Axe motherboard. This is for stability with high end video cards. I recommend plugging in a 4pin molex cable into this. This is really not required. But again if you overclock. And you want more stability. And you are using a G80. Then it's a must I think.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Thanks guys. All up and running now. Looking stunning on the 24" monitor to boot :)

Advertisement