Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rathcore Golf Club

• 10-12-2006 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I am thinking of joining Rathcore Golf Club outside Enfield.
    Has anybody any info. on it re how it is doing,membership etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

be careful about joining ANY new club that is not member owned.

Ask how many members they have
    How many have joined in last 3/6 months
    Ask to see club accounts and constitution

S

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ricerocket

hey, i live quite nearby and have played it a number of times - it is a nice course but there hasn't been much of an uptake in terms of members and it is quite expensive in comparison with other courses in a 20 mile radius.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

I heard a few months ago it was struggling and not making much money.

I played it once and thought it was ok.

Some holes where a bit short

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭denachoman

Trampas wrote:
    I heard a few months ago it was struggling and not making much money.

I played it once and thought it was ok.

Some holes where a bit short

I also have played it once and found it a bit short. Some nice holes though.

There was a rumour doing the rounds in the last 6 months or so that it wasn't doing well.
    I'm a member in Royal Tara which is fairly close to Rathcore (30 mins away) and from speaking to a fair few people recently those rumours appear to be completely unfounded and the club is flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 nigey

Ratcore is a super course I played there 2 times in the summer greens are great, every hole is challanging but as others said its not that long i really enjoyed the course and will be trying to beat my 78 last aug one of the nicest par 3s is the i think its 16 or 17 over march land, how much is the member ship I joined Corballis for 370 and its a little gem best greens i have payed in ireland ( apart from the k club and PGA)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bridestream

Knockanally on the other side of the M4 is worth a look.
    (I am a member of Knockanally).
    It is now a members owned course.
    One buys a share which is fully negotiable without recourse to the club.
    The course is improving every year.
    It's known as the course where no two holes are the same.
    And the natives are very friendly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Rathcore is a lovely course with a beautiful clubhouse, slightly on the short side but makes up for that with an interesting layout. The rumours of ill health are just rubbish spread by jealous people. In fact i think the share membership has increased to €18k or so. I was thinking of joining last year when it was about €14k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭tamloc

Played it last year. Thought is was a fine track, plenty of water and lots of protential. One complaint, too much walking between geen to tee-box. Otherwise 1st class

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

played rathcore sat and enquired about membership
    they are doing a deal ,its €900 subs a year for the next 3 years with a option to buy membership when the 3years is up for €2000 which can be paid over two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

.This will not please the members who joined for e16,000 on a share option and cannot allegedly, now get their money back

• Advertisement

This will not please the members who joined for e16,000 on a share option and cannot allegedly, now get their money back

probably not but this is the times we live in.my mate paid €10,000 to join royal tara in feb nows its down to €4000.

The difference is that Royal Tara is a members club, it did not charge an entrance fee with the intention of a member making an investment in anything other than the well being of the club.
    Many private course sold memberships with share options to help fund the courses, which are now virtually worthless.
    Bear in mind a member in Royal Tara or any other members club, have the right to decide what the fees will be, not so in a propriotry club where members have NO say in the fees to be charged entrance or otherwise

Many private course sold memberships with share options to help fund the courses, which are now virtually worthless.

excuse my ignorance and im not trying to offend anybody but thats the chance they took and at the time nobody who paid the big money envisaged that our economy would collapse like it did.
    when i asked my mate was he not pissed he summed it up perfectly when he compared it to buying a house for €250k and a few years later the house next door sold for €150k.thats the way the market is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

thoscon wrote: »
    played rathcore sat and enquired about membership
    they are doing a deal ,its €900 subs a year for the next 3 years with a option to buy membership when the 3years is up for €2000 which can be paid over two years.

Played a few times this year and not sure I'd like to play there every week. Played at the end of an open week and the course wasn't in the best of nick (granted a lot would have played there that week). I felt around the greens, bunkers and other features lacked proper maintenance work, lack of money possible. The locker rooms weren’t in great nick either so maybe that hindered my impressions on the place, however I felt that was just laziness on the management’s part as it wouldn’t take much to give the place a bit of a scrub for 20 minutes.

Although short it’s bloody difficult!! Each to their own, only my two cent but at €900 a year it does seem decent value and can see how people enjoy playing there, at €20 a green fee before 12, again good value.

excuse my ignorance and im not trying to offend anybody but thats the chance they took and at the time nobody who paid the big money envisaged that our economy would collapse like it did.

Thats exactly it. Its a chance you take, you can either make money or lose money, is there any course in the whole county that their membership joining fee has gone up in 2009? Unlikely…

Tell your mate about members in the Headfort joining at €10,000 and its now €5,000. Blackbush was something like €6,000 for a period and thats gone down to €2,500 and thats a joining fee and sub for the year. So he's certainly not the only person in that boat.

jimjo wrote: »
    Played a few times this year and not sure I'd like to play there every week. Played at the end of an open week and the course wasn't in the best of nick (granted a lot would have played there that week). I felt around the greens, bunkers and other features lacked proper maintenance work, lack of money possible. The locker rooms weren’t in great nick either so maybe that hindered my impressions on the place, however I felt that was just laziness on the management’s part as it wouldn’t take much to give the place a bit of a scrub for 20 minutes.

Although short it’s bloody difficult!! Each to their own, only my two cent but at €900 a year it does seem decent value and can see how people enjoy playing there, at €20 a green fee before 12, again good value.
    i have to say i really enjoyed it, played it a couple of times this year.shot my best round of the year there (80 but an 8 on the 18th put a dampner on it).
    i work near ballivor and live in navan so its on my list of possible courses to join.waiting to see what deals navan are doing and waiting to see what the members will be doing with there 2nd share in knightsbrook but rathcore is defo good value

Thats exactly it. Its a chance you take, you can either make money or lose money, is there any course in the whole county that their membership joining fee has gone up in 2009? Unlikely…

Tell your mate about members in the Headfort joining at €10,000 and its now €5,000. Blackbush was something like €6,000 for a period and thats gone down to €2,500 and thats a joining fee and sub for the year. So he's certainly not the only person in that boat.
    yea we know about headfort.tink my wifes parents paid €5000 each to join black bush so they are in the same boat.its happening everywhere

i have to say i really enjoyed it, played it a couple of times this year.shot my best round of the year there (80 but an 8 on the 18th put a dampner on it).
    i work near ballivor and live in navan so its on my list of possible courses to join.waiting to see what deals navan are doing and waiting to see what the members will be doing with there 2nd share in knightsbrook but rathcore is defo good value

Now to be totally fair there's a guy in work who loves the place, dragged me down there on a few occasions. I will say it is fun as you play sorts of shots that you wouldn't play in other courses. Par 3 11th (or 12th?) elevated tee box, nice hole, 16th long par four around the lake stuck out in the memory and the par 5 18th were if you hit a sweet tee shot its sh*t or bust on the second over the water…

I didn’t make it….!

But therin lies the difference, it was the members in headfort who at an egm decided to take down their fee as it was in Royal Tara as it was in the Black Bush, and it is these same members clubs that will protect each other as the times become harder by deciding as a group what fees should and will be charged to keep the club in a viable situation.,

However in other clubs mentioned here, there is no such protection,as has already been seen the plug will be pulled as and when there is not enough profit margin in it for the propriatory clubs, members of these clubs have NO say in the running of the entity only in the running of the club which has NO rights to ownership or running of the course.

As you rightly say each to their own you pay your money you take your chances, but I would seriously consider the benefits of joining a members club.

That said I have nothing against any of the clubs mentioned I would just suggest caution on not joining a members club but if these other clubs have no entrance fee and you only pay a yearly sub, then its up to you if you can see that you will get value for money over the period of the year

Now to be totally fair there's a guy in work who loves the place, dragged me down there on a few occasions. I will say it is fun as you play sorts of shots that you wouldn't play in other courses. Par 3 11th (or 12th?) elevated tee box, nice hole, 16th long par four around the lake stuck out in the memory and the par 5 18th were if you hit a sweet tee shot its sh*t or bust on the second over the water…

I didn’t make it….!

its the 11th.i hit the tree on sat with my tee shot and it rebounded over towards the water just finished short of dropping in ,still ended up with a par:D.i had the same fate on 18th hit a sweet drive and went for it bad idea:mad:.love the short 3rd hole

• Advertisement

But therin lies the difference, it was the members in headfort who at an egm decided to take down their fee as it was in Royal Tara as it was in the Black Bush, and it is these same members clubs that will protect each other as the times become harder by deciding as a group what fees should and will be charged to keep the club in a viable situation.,

However in other clubs mentioned here, there is no such protection,as has already been seen the plug will be pulled as and when there is not enough profit margin in it for the propriatory clubs, members of these clubs have NO say in the running of the entity only in the running of the club which has NO rights to ownership or running of the course.

As you rightly say each to their own you pay your money you take your chances, but I would seriously consider the benefits of joining a members club.

That said I have nothing against any of the clubs mentioned I would just suggest caution on not joining a members club but if these other clubs have no entrance fee and you only pay a yearly sub, then its up to you if you can see that you will get value for money over the period of the year
    i heard that headfort wanted to put the entrance fee to
    €3000 but members kicked up and they settled for €5000.my wifes parents are members in black bush and the first they heard of the new membership deal was when i seen it on the clubs website

But it was decided by a committee elected by the members at AGM

But it was decided by a committee elected by the members at AGM

again excuse my ignorance but should each seperate member not be entitled to a vote at the agm.

each seperate member of a club is entitled if they are full ordinary members to attend and vote.Whilst a committee in situ may make a decision to reduce fees midterm each member could and should go to their AGMs and let their feelings be known and can if so inclined reverese or reset any fees as they see fit by a vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭shamco

Played this course on Sat and was not that impressed. The par 4,s are short and most of them require a wedge for the second shot. The par 5,s are silly and are too tight to go for in 2 requiring another wedge lay up. The par 3.s are good but overall an average enough course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

shamco wrote: »
    Played this course on Sat and was not that impressed. The par 4,s are short and most of them require a wedge for the second shot. The par 5,s are silly and are too tight to go for in 2 requiring another wedge lay up. The par 3.s are good but overall an average enough course

Interesting to hear your take on Rathcore. I'm a member and most visitors that play tend to love the place. There is about 4 holes (for me) with wedges into the greens that I can count but maybe you are a big hitter. These 4 holes that I mention have other difficulties that ensure your wedge/9 iron shot has to be perfect.

The holes I'm referring to are 6,7,14 and maybe 17. Be interested to hear what the other Par 4s are to make up 'most of them'?

PS not arguing here, genuinely interested!

the lawman wrote: »
    Interesting to hear your take on Rathcore. I'm a member and most visitors that play tend to love the place. There is about 4 holes (for me) with wedges into the greens that I can count but maybe you are a big hitter. These 4 holes that I mention have other difficulties that ensure your wedge/9 iron shot has to be perfect.

The holes I'm referring to are 6,7,14 and maybe 17. Be interested to hear what the other Par 4s are to make up 'most of them'?

PS not arguing here, genuinely interested!

Not a big hitter to be honest and we did play off yellows but 2, 3 and 5 were also reachable with wedges.

Not a big hitter to be honest and we did play off yellows but 2, 3 and 5 were also reachable with wedges.

Cheers. I guess my post was based on playing off back tees as we never play off yellows. 2 can be reachable with an 8 or 9 if you get a good drive off yes. 3 is an iron off the tee and that hole is all about accuracy rather than length. 5 needs a monster hit to be 150 out. Rarely would I have a wedge on any of those holes but I'm about 230 off the tee average.

Sorry you found it average and taking my tinted glasses off I still find it a superb course and test of golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

i wouldnt say any of the par 5 are silly & too tight - loads of room on them all off the tee & only the 18th has the risk/reward go for in 2. you need to be really wide on the 10th/13th to be in trouble imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mileycactus

Member here too and I would agree there are some short Par4's alright.

On the flip side though its refreshing to have a mixture of options taking an iron-iron off the tee rather than driver 8/9 iron... I think makes a better player of you..

How did you score Shamco?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

A very good course imo , a thinking mans course always in good condition. True some par 4's are short especially of yellow tees, try it off the backs and it ain't so short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

On the flip side though its refreshing to have a mixture of options taking an iron-iron off the tee rather than driver 8/9 iron... I think makes a better player of you..
    mafc wrote: »
    A very good course imo , a thinking mans course always in good condition. True some par 4's are short especially of yellow tees, try it off the backs and it ain't so short.

I love the course. Agreed that you have to think your way around and shots into several greens have to be laser accurate. One of the most fun courses I played, though I have not played it off the yellow tees. There are several courses that become a bit silly when played off the society tees.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Played it Saturday too, of the yellows, great course, not so easy off the back pegs, not much room for error on the par 3s or the second shot into 6,7 an third 18, bunkers were out of play for our thing, think it was just to give the hackers a break,they werent too bad from the rain,the greens were forked,but u cant hold that against it,i find u can end up with a lot of potential 3 putts if ur on the wrong area of the greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

There are several courses that become a bit silly when played off the society tees.

+1 Nothing worse than travelling to a new course in either a society or open day to be told you're off the forward tees. You're there to play the course and not an abbreviated version deemed to be more "enjoyable" for the masses, it's insulting.

Member here too and I would agree there are some short Par4's alright.

How did you score Shamco?
    35 points and didn't play well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

Gem of a course but sadly am not hearing good things about its future. Anyone on boards a member?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Beaulieu wrote: »
    Gem of a course but sadly am not hearing good things about its future. Anyone on boards a member?

I've been in touch with the club on a couple of matters recently and the members are in the process of buying it. While that process is being sorted out the members are running it and, from what I can gather, everything is going really well they're very positive about the future.

There are also plans to revamp the clubhouse which will include a fully stocked pro shop... and a Pro.

I'm a member and I can only agree with what Kevin has said.

We've been involved in the process from start to finish and it's been done very professionally. The plans we've been shown are very positive and I can honestly say I have no doubts the club will be stronger for this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Thats brill, i would not of thought banks would be too keen to lend for member buys outs, thats if they have to borrow of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

The pro shop and resident pro was something I thought it really lacked, great to see it working out well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Any plans to improve the drainage? Nice course but the (3 or 4) times I played it I thought it very wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

First Up wrote: »
    Any plans to improve the drainage? Nice course but the (3 or 4) times I played it I thought it very wet.
    Something I'd like to see done aswell but I'd imagine that would be a stretch for the immediate future ?

I've played a few top parklands in the last year and in high summer it's very hard to beat rathcore IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

the lawman wrote: »
    I'm a member and I can only agree with what Kevin has said.

We've been involved in the process from start to finish and it's been done very professionally. The plans we've been shown are very positive and I can honestly say I have no doubts the club will be stronger for this change.

I heard the bank has it now. Is it going to stay open?

Advertisement