Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A slow hand clap for Drogba and Lehmann

• 10-12-2006 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiIL3ituC-g

Between them they earn more in a week than what I'll earn in the next four years, both experienced and high-profile players, playing in arguably the most high-profile game in football this weekend. They've won plenty between them and both played in World Cups...

...and yet they still come up with woeful 'displays' like today. They're always the centre of attention, and just as often for the negative aspects of their game as the positives. Why? It's not strictly diving, nor play-acting, but just sheer idiocy. Of course the fans of the clubs they play for will love them and defend them, but there are just as many neutrals watching who are fed up of this nonsense.

Look at Bernardo Corradi yesterday, he was sent off for diving and straight after the game both his teammate and manager were out criticising him in public, but crucially saying that every club should do the same.

Do they not realise how pathetic they look? Is it the pressure that gets to them and they feel they need to exaggerate everything? Is Lehmann just a nutcase? Is Drogba the most incredibly infuriating player to watch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The video you have requested is not available.

If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process.

:(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Working now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I saw an incident involving the 2 of them in the 2nd half of the game today - the keeper "touched" Drogba to "help in on his way" so to speak and he fell like he'd been hit by a truck !!! Disgusting behaviour imo and by united v city (Saturday) standards, an instant sending off for Drogba.

Adding insult to injury, Drogba - seeing the ref hadn't noticed (or cared about ?) the altercation - walked back to the keeper (looking back every couple of steps to check) and body checked him resulting in another award winning fall to the ground by the keeper!! What galls me is supporters of these teams slag of (perhaps in some cases deservadly) Ronaldo for less obvious stuff !!

They got yellows for the display . . . should have been red ! I can't understand why players with skills like those mentioned think they need do this, their play is brilliant but totally spoilt with these shenanigans !!

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaCL wrote:
    The video you have requested is not available.

If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process.
    :rolleyes:

n00b.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ZENER wrote:
    Disgusting behaviour imo and by united v city (Saturday) standards, an instant sending off for Drogba.

:confused:

Explain please.

• Advertisement

:confused:

Explain please.

A city player got sent off for a less obvious "dive" in the Manc derby on Saturday although I suspect you already know this and are looking at me agog ?!

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rofles. With the media making ever more mocking humour of these nonsense moments players may yet be shamed into changing.......yeah right!

Mike.

It was a second yellow for diving ZENER, not a straight red.

ZENER wrote:
    A city player got sent off for a less obvious "dive" in the Manc derby on Saturday although I suspect you already know this and are looking at me agog ?!

ZEN

A city player got a yellow card for a dive, which happened to be his 2nd yellow so he was sent off.

Punishment the same for similar offences?

I thought the ref handled it pretty well, the two characters involved tend to lead people to hysteria. I would like both managers to follow Stuart Pearce's example, but I expect Arsene didn't see it and Jose thought the ref was trying to be the star of the show...;)

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    It was a second yellow for diving ZENER, not a straight red.

Ok for those with difficulty reading - BY SATURDAYS STANDARDS where a player at least tried to disguise the fact he dived and was awarded a second yellow then Drogba's diving deserved a straight red by virtue of the fact he didn't try to disguise it !! ? I can draw pictures if required but I'd made allowances for a certain level of cop on - my bad I guess ?!

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

That's hilarious. :D

ZENER wrote:
    Ok for those with difficulty reading - BY SATURDAYS STANDARDS where a player at least tried to disguise the fact he dived and was awarded a second yellow then Drogba's diving deserved a straight red by virtue of the fact he didn't try to disguise it !! ? I can draw pictures if required but I'd made allowances for a certain level of cop on - my bad I guess ?!

ZEN
    Please draw pictures.

ZENER wrote:
    I'd made allowances for a certain level of cop on - my bad I guess ?!

ZEN

It would help if you showed a bit of cop on yourself, its a nonsense argument you're putting forward.

Isn't it funny how people fain ignorance just to make someone else look bad while knowing full well the point he person is trying to make.

I think I'll go back to ignoring the soccer thread again, I see now what made it unbearable before for others and I apologise for my part in it. Why do we obtain reassurance in our own abilities by belittleing those we percieve in others.

I thought - wrongly - people would take my point - I was wrong.

ZEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wNm0K2N_eQ

Very good, Drog-bar is quite prominent.
    ZENER wrote:
    Isn't it funny how people fain ignorance just to make someone else look bad while knowing full well the point he person is trying to make.

I think I'll go back to ignoring the soccer thread again, I see now what made it unbearable before for others and I apologise for my part in it. Why do we obtain reassurance in our own abilities by belittleing those we percieve in others.

I thought - wrongly - people would take my point - I was wrong.

ZEN

In fairness, as far as I can tell, you are saying that you think players should be booked if they try to cover up a dive but sent off if they don't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

That was hilarious..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Ha, the first two people 'headbutting' each other there were Albert Streit of Fc Koeln and the manager of some other German team, can't remember which one. The manager actually got fired because of that, Streit then pissed off to Frankfurt when Koeln got relegated. He was an asshole anyway. Would only sign autographs for 16-18 years old girls.

ZENER wrote:

Who's feigning ignorance?

I asked you to clarify your point because I wanted to be sure of exactly what you were saying before I responded to it. Joe's summed it up perfectly though, hence my previous assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Drogba was the centre of attention because in between the 'exagerations' (diving) he was the spark(difference) that should have won Chelski the game. He missed two good chances that on any other day he would have at least got one.

Thierry Henry and Didier are the best stikers playing in the Premiership.

The Drog can be infuriating, but the rest of the time hes just brilliance. I had to laugh the first 3 'exagerations' were just that and rightly ignored by the ref but the last one with Sanderos was a definate penatly. Boy who cried wolf.

Lehman can be a proper nutter, and can go off on one. great keeper tho'

It was great to see all the united heads stunned into silence by Essien's (world class) rifle shot to draw lvl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I had to laugh the first 3 'exagerations' were just that and rightly ignored by the ref .

This is the problem though, if its just ignored then theres no reason for them to stop doing it, if they keep at it then maybe 1 in 5 or 10 will come off and win them a peno. Just so depressing and annoying to see, very good players like robben, cole, ronaldo, garcia doing absolute moments of brilliance one minute and then writhing around in agony on the ground the next whenever a gust of wind has the nerve to unsteady them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

The whole Lehmann Drogba thing was shocking. Both players should be embarrased. Thats the kind of thing I want to see red cards for. Show that on the big screen have the ref watch and the entire stadium see what pathetic fools they are then send them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Two of the biggest muppets in the Premier League. This is not the first time either of them have acted like this and wont be either. How do they feel themselves when watching replays of the incident? Do they not feel like they look like complete prats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

bucks73 wrote:
    How do they feel themselves when watching replays of the incident?
    With lubed hands I'd imagine.

I for one think the game of football would be a much more boring world without (whoops) Jens Lehmann. The guy is a caricature; should be made into a comic strip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

PiE wrote:

I for one think the game of football would be a much more boring world with Jens Lehmann. The guy is a caricature; should be make into a comic strip.

it may be boring but it would be a whole lot safer for the remaining premiership players who wouldn't have to avoid his cynical attempts at GBH, like his knee in the back to Sheva yesterday or his shoulder charge into Scott Parker.

I think he's the most cynically violent player in the premiership, and extremely clever at hiding his intentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Hes pretty cynical alright for someone who loses it if anyone merely brushes off him. I love seeing players standing in front of him at corners and driving him nuts. Hes gonna give a peno away someday the way he deals with some players in his way.

bucks73 wrote:
    Hes pretty cynical alright for someone who loses it if anyone merely brushes off him. I love seeing players standing in front of him at corners and driving him nuts. Hes gonna give a peno away someday the way he deals with some players in his way.

Nah he won't, keepers (even Jens Lehmann) are way over protected in their box. Having said that alot of teams don't just stand in front of him, they push him, stand on his feet and just try and wind him up in general. Makes sense obviously given him temperment. Spurs were particularly guilty of this in a game last season, was glad to see the ref actually noticed it and booked a few players for their challenges on Lehmann or for standing on his foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

did spurs not get a penalty for it last year?

i think keane stood in front of him and he pushed him, so teh ref gave a penalty

event wrote:
    did spurs not get a penalty for it last year?

i think keane stood in front of him and he pushed him, so teh ref gave a penalty

No.

No.

yeah this happened, think was the year before last though. or perhaps the undefeated season before that even. I remember the game alright though, as my uncle had 2,000 on it for an arsenal win they were cruising to a 1-0 win when towards the end lehman did his usual craziness, pushed keane and gave away a pen to make it 1-1 which it finished at. very very unhappy uncle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

No.

grand, thought they had

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

hahah that video is hilarious.

I often get embarrassed by Lehmann's antics but I get amused by them in equal measure. In the case of Drogba I get annoyed by his antics but likewise I'm amused by them in equal measure. I hate diving and theatrics but theirs are so OTT that they can add a lot of comedy value to sometimes dull games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I hate diving and theatrics but theirs are so OTT that they can add a lot of comedy value to sometimes dull games.
    I agree.

It's kind of like the point made about El Hadji Diouf a few weeks ago, he's like a villain from wrestling that he is so unlikeable, which makes him amusing. Seeing Drogba fall, at any time, is hilarious, and Lehmann is so mental it's scary. Take after he saved the penos for Germany in the QFs of the world cup. I don't the lad even raised a smile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I wouldn't be that bothered by what Lehmann and Drogba were getting up to yesterday. It was more idiotic than cynical. If a player dives to win a free or penalty, I'd be more enraged but the ball wasn't really in play at this time.
    Besides, everybody in the pub had a great laugh during the slow motion replay.
    They'd make a good comedy duo. Diving Drogba and The Mad German.
    I can just see a buddy cop movie now. Jens playing the straight role, slightly unhinged, prone to throwing suspects through windows at the slightest provocation. Paired up with Didier, the flash cop around the station, trying to bed every female colleague and checking his braids in the car mirror every five minutes, drawing groans from an impatient Jens.
    If only.

cashback wrote:
    I can just see a buddy cop movie now. Jens playing the straight role, slightly unhinged, prone to throwing suspects through windows at the slightest provocation. Paired up with Didier, the flash cop around the station, trying to bed every female colleague and checking his braids in the car mirror every five minutes, drawing groans from an impatient Jens.
    If only.

I Know Id Go See It!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It's really a case of FIFA etc. doing something about it.

One word: retrospective yellow cards!

I'd be supremely confident that the ability to 'award' cheaters with post match yellow and red cards world sort them out in two shakes of a puppy dogs tail. It is the best way to stop this crap. Blame must also be put at the managers doors.

I'd also like to see major media broadcasters such as the Beeb and RTE (Note: I'm not including the ever ****e ITV in this) highlighting this behaviour each and every week through the medium of finger pointing and laughter. It detracts from the game so much that we, the viewers, should at least get a laugh out of it. Maybe they guys in question would think twice. Probably not though.

As for the argument that subtle diving is less of an offence than the likes of Drogba and Lehmann's antics, well, in one word:

Utter tosh and flimflam!

• Advertisement

One word: retrospective yellow cards!

Drogba and Lehmann's antics, well, in one word:

Utter tosh and flimflam!

Hey! Thats Lots of words!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

They'd make a good comedy duo. Diving Drogba and The Mad German.

Brilliant - i'd buy that for a dollar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

yeah this happened, think was the year before last though. or perhaps the undefeated season before that even. I remember the game alright though, as my uncle had 2,000 on it for an arsenal win they were cruising to a 1-0 win when towards the end lehman did his usual craziness, pushed keane and gave away a pen to make it 1-1 which it finished at. very very unhappy uncle!
    Happened alright but was during the unbeaten season. Think it finshed 2-2 though, with Keane scoring in the last few mins. One of the oddest finishes cos, ye would have thought Spurs would have been well p1ssed with Arsenal continuing their unbeaten run at white Hart lane, instead at the end all the Spurs fans were celebrating cos they had come back from two nil down.

Roddy23 wrote:
    Happened alright but was during the unbeaten season. Think it finshed 2-2 though, with Keane scoring in the last few mins. One of the oddest finishes cos, ye would have thought Spurs would have been well p1ssed with Arsenal continuing their unbeaten run at white Hart lane, instead at the end all the Spurs fans were celebrating cos they had come back from two nil down.

They went absolutely nuts celebrating like they'd just won the league, at which point Arsenal came back out onto the field after they'd originally gone off to remind everyone that it was them who'd actually won the league. Originally they'd said they weren't going to celebrate winning the league on the pitch but you can't blame them for changing their minds when the spurs fans were celebrating like that.

They went absolutely nuts celebrating like they'd just won the league

Imagine that, you come back from 2-0 down against your most despised rival who are on their way to an historic full unbeaten season while your own has been a crock of sh*t...:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, you'd swear Keown had just shot his load.

• Advertisement

Imagine that, you come back from 2-0 down against your most despised rival who are on their way to an historic full unbeaten season while your own has been a crock of sh*t...:rolleyes:

While the team they despised so much had just won the league at White Hart Lane, despite of the draw, without losing a single game all season. Yeah, real cause for celebration there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

While the team they despised so much had just won the league at White Hart Lane, despite of the draw, without losing a single game all season. Yeah, real cause for celebration there.
    Dude, let them have their small victories...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's the little things in life ya know...

Personally, I love Lehmann just the way he is, so easy to rile up in a game and make a mistake, another 4 years of him would be just great.

Drogba on the other hand, with the way he is playing, I would like to see gone :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Dude, let them have their small victories...

I agree with that. Some of them think they are still a big club.:p

Quick lads! I've managed to get the Goons and a Stretford Ender to join forces! The dolphins must be in Kerry...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Like I said before jank, preferred your earlier work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

But that was like shooting fish in a barrel.
    I try and challenge myself nowadays.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Hey! Thats Lots of words!

One word: yes it is.

Ok, that joke, assuming it was ever funny, is now dead.

Advertisement