Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Buying a Bose Lifestyle in the US and posting to Ireland ?

• 11-12-2006 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

It's been posted before but the OP did not get any relevant replies.
    Bose Lifestyle 48 costs €6,000 here but can be bought for $4,000 in the States !
    Wondering what is the import duty / Vat to be paid on such a purchase ?

joebre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Shipments sent from outside the EU may be liable for Customs Duty, Excise Duty and VAT.

Goods are liable to VAT at the same rate as applies to the sale within the State of similar goods - usually 21%.

VAT is calculated on the total of 1) value of the goods for customs purposes, 2) the amount of any other duty or tax applicable, 3) any transport, handling and insurance costs between the place of introduction into the EU and the final destination within the State.

You may also want to read this for some reference
    http://www.revenue.ie/services/foi/s16_2001/valuat_.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Thanks for reply, Sparky-S.
    Even allowing for the duty / Vat, there is still a considerable saving to be made. I presume that these items are multi-voltage !

joebre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

Bose have an outlet store in Chesire Oaks, just outside Liverpool.

Was just there last week and they had a decent enough choice. Could be worth your while giving them a ring to see what they can do? Just add the cost of a cheap return flight over!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As far as I know Bose stuff bought in the US won't work properly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

Googled that outlet store and found one in Antrim, Northern Ireland as well ! Did you buy anything in Liverpool ?
    A store in Cork is offering a €500 trade in offer at the moment !

joebre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

You will need a step down transformer that can takes the wattage and amps of the system.

They are not hard to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

stepping down voltage is one thing , but some devices won't work on 50/60Hz

Check this , also the 5 yr warranty , check that you won't be shunned by Bose here for a Grey import , not that they going to break anyway .....! ?

That why tvs are cheaper in the US somewaht the power supplies for a 120W 60hz is cheaper to manufacture than a 240W 50Hz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

american car radios work on a diff freq than european ones, i presume the home ent. thingys are no diff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

eo980 wrote:
    As far as I know Bose stuff bought in the US won't work properly here.
    Nothing made by BOSE works properly. If you like crude bass and spitty treble with no mid-range then BOSE is yer man. I'm not slggin' off anyones system but the "lifestyle" tag is very accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

old boy wrote:
    american car radios work on a diff freq than european ones, i presume the home ent. thingys are no diff

FM radio in North America jumps 88.1 mhz ,88.3 mhz etc and AM radio 560 khz,570 khz 580 khz etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

formatman wrote:
    stepping down voltage is one thing , but some devices won't work on 50/60Hz

Check this , also the 5 yr warranty , check that you won't be shunned by Bose here for a Grey import , not that they going to break anyway .....! ?

That why tvs are cheaper in the US somewaht the power supplies for a 120W 60hz is cheaper to manufacture than a 240W 50Hz

first of all, it's 120V and 240V, not w, watts is power, volts is what electricity is rated in..

second of all, all it is is a differnt winding off the primary transformer to get 120 or 240, the 50/60 is dictated by the power grid..

so i doubt very much there is that much difference between the price of a 120 and 240v power brick. Most of the expense is on the POL power side..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Slaphead07 wrote:
    Nothing made by BOSE works properly. If you like crude bass and spitty treble with no mid-range then BOSE is yer man. I'm not slggin' off anyones system but the "lifestyle" tag is very accurate.

amen to that..

Advertisement