Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGeady vs Lennon?

• 11-12-2006 1:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭

Thought I heard something on the news about a fight between Aidan McGeady and Neil Lennon in the Dunfermline v Celtic game.

Any video of it? (or what it was about?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Celtic may be 16 points ahead in the Bank of Scotland Premierleague but they seem ready to fight for their title in the manner of someone hanging on for dear life, if events at East End Park are anything to go by. Gordon Strachan’s players ended up scrapping among themselves yesterday after overcoming the stubborn resistance of Dunfermline Athletic.

The concession of a goal in stoppage time to Stephen Simmons did not alter the outcome but it prompted remarkable scenes as Neil Lennon and Aiden McGeady raised their fists at each other as blame was apportioned. It required the intervention of their colleague, Evander Sno — appropriately named after boxer Evander Holyfield — to defuse the dispute.

The row had actually been created by Artur Boruc. The Celtic goalkeeper raced over to Lennon to have a furious inquisition about why Lennon and McGeady had given Owen Morrison room to deliver the cross that led to Simmons’ consolation effort. Strachan admitted he may consider fining the sparring duo but also defended Lennon.

“Neil has a fear of getting beaten, or even losing goals,” the Celtic manager said of his captain. “If everyone had that fear, we would have a great side. You need good footballers but you must also have that. It is not nice to see it in public but in my Aberdeen days, Willie Miller and Mark McGhee had fights like that and so did I with Alex McLeish.

“However, I will have a word with the lads and I will tell them they have a duty, as footballers, to conduct themselves in a manner that is correct. I will think about fining them. If your kids misbehave, you take money off them but that does not mean too much to footballers now.”

The dent in Celtic’s pride was clearly greater than the dent in their statistics, as they maintained a 13-game unbeaten run ahead of Sunday’s trip to Ibrox to face Rangers. Darren O’Dea, who made his first league start yesterday in a seamless manner deputising at centre-back for injured Stephen McManus, is now relishing the prospect of an Old Firm baptism.

“It (the fight) was about pride,” the teenager said. “It’s your job not to concede goals, even if you are 8-0 up. I did not see the trouble but there was no problem in the dressing-room. Everyone is happy to go away with three points. This is a tough place with Dunfermline fighting for survival. It would be great if I could play in the Old Firm game but that is down to the manager. If you get your chance, you have to take it.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,438-2497712,00.html

Haven't seen a video of it yet. Southampton were at it last week too, its the in-thing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Haven't seen a video of it yet. Southampton were at it last week too, its the in-thing now.

Surely not more in than diving though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Xavi6 wrote:
    Surely not more in than diving though :p

Heh, the natural progression so is for players to jump to the ground and roll about frantically whenever their own teams players put a hand on them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Lennon was out of order although it is a non-issue. Pure frustration at losing a goal in injury time.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/8936102596393856/lennon_mcgeady/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It was a strange incident. Unusual for players to get so het (sp?) up for something as trivial as this. As much as I'd like to believe everyone else and Strachan that they were just sore to lose a goal, Lennon ist fighting every week so I think there is something more to this than meets the eye between the two players. There must be some other underlying animosity between them. That cant be good for the players and the club.

One to watch .....

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Lennon's temper got the better of him. He went mad after losing a goal in the last minute and took it out on McGeady for not tracking back and helping Wilson. McGeady called him a couple of names and Lennon flipped. Can you imagine Silvestre slagging Roy Keane off when he's getting a rollicking? :D Lennon can't control himself when he gets that angry and I'm sure he regretted it 10 seconds later. I'm also sure we've all been in a situation where you do something like throw your remote control against the wall and you're picking up the pieces 10 seconds later. Mulitply your anger by 100 to see how Lenny feels when he's angry. :D Let him go to anger management after he retires. ;)

Ironically it was the 2 best players on the pitch yesterday imo.
    redspider wrote:
    Lennon ist fighting every week so I think there is something more to this than meets the eye between the two players. There must be some other underlying animosity between them.
    I doubt that tbh. Lennon also did the same to McManus during the Man Utd game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I don't know if anyone else noticed but it all stemmed from Boruc having a go at Lennon blaming him for the goal. Boruc sprinted towards Lennon shouting at him and then pushed him in the chest - this could only be seen from a distance on one of the camera angles.
    Lennon obviously didn't fancy squaring up to Boruc:D so took out his anger on poor oul McGeady istead.

Nunu wrote:
    I don't know if anyone else noticed but it all stemmed from Boruc having a go at Lennon blaming him for the goal. Boruc sprinted towards Lennon shouting at him and then pushed him in the chest - this could only be seen from a distance on one of the camera angles.
    Lennon obviously didn't fancy squaring up to Boruc:D so took out his anger on poor oul McGeady istead.
    This is a post by someone on a Celtic forum:
    Been watching it a few times on t.v and for the benefit of those who can't seem to take of their orange/blue tinted glasses i'll point out the obvious.

Boruc loses the head with Mc Geady at the goal and charges off toward him.
    Then he points at Lennon and shouts at him. Presumably along the lines off "your'e the captain ,sort that out".
    Lennon has a go at Mc Geady and gets back-chat.
    In the heat of the moment he reacts.

And it's backed up by the evening times at the end of this article:
    http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/sport/6030163.html

"The incident was sparked when Boruc accused McGeady of not tracking back to provide cover, allowing Dunfermline to get in a cross for their goal, with Lennon carrying on the argument with the midfield player."

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'm not a Celtic fan by any means, but Lennon seems to attract alot of these things. I was at United vs Celtic in Old Trafford and he was at the same craic then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I dunno! People complain about a lack of passion in the game and then complain when someone shows some passion and try to read more into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

lennon, seems to be at it quite a bit recently but great to see that desire and pride despite being 16 pionts clear at the top. Can't imagine him having a go at Big Bobo???
    Darren O'Dea gave a very good account of himself at Centre half one for Stan to watch in the future maybe? Not sure he will be picked for the Old Firm this weekend though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

eirebhoy wrote:
    Lennon's temper got the better of him. He went mad after losing a goal in the last minute and took it out on McGeady for not tracking back and helping Wilson. McGeady called him a couple of names and Lennon flipped. ... I'm also sure we've all been in a situation where you do something like throw your remote control against the wall and you're picking up the pieces 10 seconds later.
    Lennon also did the same to McManus during the Man Utd game.

Well, its all very well having passion, etc, even a tongue lashing and anger is acceptable to a degree, but not if it goes to pushing and shoving. This is no example from a captain and there is no excuse for it. I'm sure Lennon was made to apologise (or both of them) in the dressing room by wee Gordy. He was at the same stuff himself on occasion when a player.

No, I do not throw the remote control against the wall. ;-)

Maybe you are right and there is no personal animosity between the pair. I still think it reeks of something as getting so uncontrolled over a goal that didnt matter, which is the key point, is not a good sign imo.

I want passion, but controlled, and let any anger be vented with precision in tackles and effort and creation against the opposition, not arms flailing against team mates.

Redspider

Agreed but Lennon's temper is one of the worst I've seen from a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

According to todays Scottish Sun, McGeady called Lennon a D*ck and a Fu**ing as**ole before Lennon confronted him. If that is the case, McGeady deserved a slap.

According to todays Scottish Sun, McGeady called Lennon a D*ck and a Fu**ing as**ole before Lennon confronted him. If that is the case, McGeady deserved a slap.
    I knew from the replays that McGeady was giving him stick. They showed a good 60 seconds clip leading up to it on Setanta after the match (not the one posted here). Can't believe Lennon is coming out as the bad man for losing his temper and pushing him. I can imagine how frustrating it would be when you're trying to discipline a player and he's telling you F off.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I hope you don't actually believe the Scottish Sun now Dub... :eek:

Advertisement