Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who to buy/sell fot my fantasy league team

• 11-12-2006 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

My team as it stands:

David James

Ferdinand Terry Boyce (plus 2 cheap defenders that never play)

Ronaldo Campo Febergas McCullough(wigan) Barry(villa)

Kyut Saha Doyle(reading)

Righteo, im 30points behind my mate whon i want to beat. We`ve a little league going on in the fantasy.premierleague.com site thingy. Your allowed 1free transfer a week.

Defence
    I want to try get Carragher or Finnan into my squad, which would be the better buy? Ill be selling Kyut to free up money as want to keep Terry and Ferdinand. I also plan to swap Boyce for Shorey of Reading whos doing good and is only 4.2m.

Midfield
    Campo has backed off a good bit but got 5points for me on Sat, am half thinking of getting rid. Was going to get rid of Campo and McCullough and replace with Barton and Guillepsie(Sheffield). Guillepsie plays every game and is cheap and will be a back-up midfielder for to my new 4-4-2 formation.

Strikers
    I need to sell kyut to free up cash to fund my other changes in Def and Mid. My 2 main strikers will then be Saha and Doyle and ill buy Davies from Bolton as bk-up.

New team would then be:

James
    Ferdinand Terry Carragher/Finnan Shorey Cheapest defender

Ronaldo Febergas barton Guillepsie Barry

Saha Doyle Davies

So what ye think, it`ll take me 4weeks to make the neccessary transfers.
    Will it be a good team ye reckon?
    Any tips/advice/criticism welcomed! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nuttzy wrote:
    I want to try get Carragher or Finnan into my squad, which would be the better buy?

Finnan

Kanu would be a good signing, he's fitted in very well at Pompey. In midfield, Ashley Young isn't too expensive and picks up points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Get Barton in anyway. Gets decent points most weeks and takes penos. As does Matt Taylor of Pompey and we all know how he can strike a ball. Lennon's done well for me since i brought him in and Carvalho is very consistent at the back.. Not sure if Doyle will keep the run going. I really hope he does though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Here's my current team:

Cudicini / Kirkland

Clichy / Carvalho / Vidic / Scharner / Distin

Ronaldo / Essien / Petrov / McCulloch / Arteta

Van Persie / McCarthy / Yakuba

I went for quality throughout the whole squad from the start rather than compensating elsewhere to get a big name striker. It's working real well for me with good subs coming in whenever a player doesn't play, but I've probably just been lucky! However, everyone else in our league has Drogba, Saha, Rooney, Henry, Kuyt etc. in their teams, but I'm top at the moment with my strategy.

I wouldn't take in Finnan or Carragher. Not sure if Vidic or Carvalho are in the same price bracket, but if they are they're a better bet cos they keep just as many clean sheets and are a goal threat. Scharners down as a defender but is playing midfield, so more likely to score. Also been keeping my eye on Baines maybe to replace Distin. Reluctant though because I always play Distin when City are at home - almost a guaranteed clean sheet!

Your teams pretty impressive as it is, but I agree I would get rid of Kuyt and I guarantee you Yakuba is going to get a hat trick very soon. He's that kind of striker. I've kept faith with him the whole season fore this reason alone:o

Anyway, that's the end of my thesis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

OP - you can play a wildcard and make all of your changes in one week without losing any points, rather than staggering them over the 4 weeks. You only get one wildcard per season, but it's a really good way of weeding out the dead wood in the team.

If you're really set on Carragher or Finnan, then Carragher is a little bit cheaper so may be a better budget buy. Have a look at Dunne though - he's coming 4th out of all the defenders (Finnan and Carragher are 9th and 10th) plus he's only 5.7m which is grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

stargal wrote:
    OP - you can play a wildcard and make all of your changes in one week without losing any points, rather than staggering them over the 4 weeks. You only get one wildcard per season, but it's a really good way of weeding out the dead wood in the team.

Seriously??? And there was me thinking the wildcard was only good for one free transfer! I've already used it too. Feck!

• Advertisement

Yeah they really don't advertise it enough on the site! It's very good but you just have to be careful about when you play it; one of my friends played his just a couple of weeks into the season, which was pretty pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Quick replies lads.
    Im liking your strategey there Nunu.
    I wouldn't take in Finnan or Carragher. Not sure if Vidic or Carvalho are in the same price bracket, but if they are they're a better bet cos they keep just as many clean sheets and are a goal threat
    Finnan and Carragaher are both doing class now. There cheaper than Carvalho at 7.3m and Vidic is 6.7m, i realise they`re not prone to scoring goals though.

6.7m Carragher 7/6/0/5/6/6/15 recent points
    7.9m Fnnan 5/6/1/6/6/6/6/8 recent points

Apart from finnan+carraghers good form i`d like to add 1 of them because i dont like having too many players from the same team. I already have Ferdinand and Terry so dont want to get another Man u or Chelsea defender. I think ill chance carragher as hes 6.7m and im a bit cashstrapped :D I think i agree with you MrJoeSoap, Finnan would be better long term as i remember him finishing near the top last year but i cant afford him if i am to implement the new team above in full.

@ - Xavi6, thanks, i had forgotten Barton was the penalty taker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Ps: I used my wildcard already :o
    I`d a couple of injuries(Cahil + Cech)and too much cash tied up in big players and Henry started to do crap so i used it to free money and get rid of big names a few weeks ago.

Im still not happy with my team though. It stems from the fact i bought too many big players and had to buy players that never play at the cheapest prices to make up the numbers and then when my big players were injured/suspended i`d no subs effectively. Im an ametuer ye see. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just looked at my team there for the first time in ages. Didn't really know who I had in defence. Just realised I've Matt Taylor since the first week. What a flukey pick that was.

Nuttzy wrote:
    Im still not happy with my team though. It stems from the fact i bought too many big players and had to buy players that never play at the cheapest prices to make up the numbers and then when my big players were injured/suspended i`d no subs effectively. Im an ametuer ye see. :D

Yeah I did the same thing - had Henry, Terry, Rooney and a couple of other big names but then some total jobbers in defence and midfield! Nunu's strategy seems way better; wish I'd thought of that before I played my wild card this week :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

My team just had a terrible year this year, I decided to use the tactic of big gun players trying to maximise the point, and have small good players. This worked with the small good players, such as Doyle, P. Neville, Davis (Portsmouth), Primus, who got me lots of points for their value , but my choices of Rooney, Ronaldo, Henry, Ballack and Gallas did not pay off :/ Pretty annoyed about it too, cause my crappy players I spent an age mulling over and eventually did really well out of them, but the top players, besides from Ronaldo, have been disappointed overall, partly due to injury, partly due to being poor

Anyway, totally new look team, quite similar to Nunu's actually,

Friedel / Hunt

Vidic / Carvalho / Scharner / Richards / Clichy

Essien / Ronaldo / Petrov / Neville

Rooney / Doyle / Kanu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is the winning team at the moment,
    I have most of them since the start but 2 weeks ago i sold Henry and got Lampard and Doyle in

Van da man

Taylor(since the start) Meite / Melburg

Giggs / Lampard / Barry / Fabregas

Rooney / Doyle / VanPersie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If you are looking at a Liverpool defender, I would choose Agger over Finnan & Carragher. He has a better chance of scoring and seems to be getting a run in the team now and is starting to pick up some points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nuttzy buddy the only bit of advice Pighead can give you is to take a long hard look at my team and copy it until you have the exact same formation and players as me. The Chicken Chokers are undoubtedly the form team in the league at the moment and we're playing some beautiful football just lately.

Lehman Carragher Ferdinand Cole Pearce Bocanegra Ronaldo(c) Lennon Petrov Gillespie Skoko Saha Yakubu Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Generally, i think, Finnan is more likely to get Assists than Carragher to get goals. But that is a massive price difference between the two.

As has been said, you can't really go wrong with Dunne, he's cheap + he pops up with a goal sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

My defence is my weak link at the moment, I kinda sacrificed them for a good midfield/strikeforce:

James

Dawson--Knight--Sonko

Ronaldo--Fabregas--Lampard--Barry

---Saha---Johnson---D.Bent--

I'm thinking of offing Darren Bent, as impressive as his goals tally was last year, Charlton have gone to the dogs. Might sacrifice him to get a good defender, someone capable of getting goals like Vidic.

Advertisement